Topic Stats

• 1,766 posts
  • 212 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by potgar96
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 373 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

crane (resized).jpg
cat (resized).jpg
decail (resized).jpg
20180928_151942 (resized).jpg
bottom MB jumped (resized).jpg
top MB (resized).jpg
PPB 1.jpg
Q28 (resized).PNG
20181011_214010_HDR (resized).jpg
20181011_214024_HDR (resized).jpg
2018-10-07 09_55_14-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts - Internet Explorer (resized).png
CN8 (resized).PNG
20181009_201311_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_4049 (resized).PNG
IMG_4048 (resized).PNG
ps_pwb (resized).PNG

There are 1766 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 36.
#1351 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

As I mentioned above, I believe you need to change the capacitors on the power supply and check for broken solder joints on all the male header connectors. But for fun, if you have a power supply from the WWF, try that board first.

I have replaced all caps on the board with the exception of the (4) 4700UF 25V at C4 & the 1000uf 63v at c1

my voltages are

TP1 5.09v
TP3 15.00
TP4 11.81

So voltage seems good

I will replace the caps at C1 and C4 when they arrive but the larger caps on this board are a BITCH to change out without damaging traces. Like I said before all solder at header pins was reflowed and are good. using the WWF board is not an option it is bad.

#1352 4 months ago

Remove the 6 balls out of the trough, make sure the 5 bank drop targets are in the up position, and then go to the active switch test and see which one(s) are still registering. You may have 2 closed switches needing adjusting.

Did this... no problems.

#1353 4 months ago

Hold the phone... I replaced my PPB (playfield power board)with the only WWF one and half my issues corrected themselves. But I am getting no flashers on the flasher test (none!) and on manual coil test (which also activates flashers ) the coil are firing okay enough during test (not all but most) but then when a flasher test occurs a coil fires instead of any flasher. So the coils are firing twice in some cases, once on their correct coil test.. and then again on the following flasher test.

Weird

#1354 4 months ago
Quoted from Alwaysbrokenpins:

Hold the phone... I replaced my PPB (playfield power board)with the only WWF one and half my issues corrected themselves. But I am getting no flashers on the flasher test (none!) and on manual coil test (which also activates flashers ) the coil are firing okay enough during test (not all but most) but then when a flasher test occurs a coil fires instead of any flasher. So the coils are firing twice in some cases, once on their correct coil test.. and then again on the following flasher test.
Weird

You may have some broken solder joints on the original PPB on the male connector pins. This was going to be my next suggestion.

#1355 4 months ago

First things first.

-Verify you have correct voltage to all boards. Test points help.
-Then you are gonna need to go through this machine for possible "fixes" that people have made in the past.
-Check for taped wires.

Lets start there before we move onto switch matrix and lamp matrix troubleshooting.

#1356 4 months ago

Hello! I posted a while back around the end of last year when I first joined. I ended up replacing some of the boards and it did fix the issue issue I was having. I replaced 520-5021-00 and 520-5047-02. I had a friend helping me and we spend hours testing fuses and replacing them and ended up resorting to purchasing new boards. I figured the boards in there were almost 30 years old anyway, and it was clear some rigging had been done lol.

Anyway, I'm really trying to learn about this stuff and I'll be honest I'm a complete noob. I just purchased Pinball Machine Care And Maintenance because I read on here it was a great resource for starting out. I also bought the physical manual for this machine as well. I know I've already made some mistakes but I really want to learn about these machines!

That being said, I would love any feedback or ideas for someone new to the hobby and ideas for customizing my machine

For this specific machine I am having some issues with the ripper. My f9 fuse blows as soon as I turn on the machine so the physical part doesn't work. Sometimes it senses when I hit the ball in and lights up for scoring but the majority of the time it does not. This machine also makes a loud buzzing sound. I've noticed around the playfield there are also a few missing nuts to fasten parts down that I'd like to find replacements for.

Sorry for the long post, again I'm new and any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

#1357 4 months ago

Remove the 6 balls out of the trough, make sure the 5 bank drop targets are in the up position, and then go to the active switch test and see which one(s) are still registering. You may have 2 closed switches needing adjusting.

Balls were never in the trough when I was testing. Tested with drops up and down. Doesn't matter. I'm out of patience to work on a game I can't keep, and won't make a big profit on. Gonna do what I'm gonna do later this week and that's it. Someone might be getting a LAH that's really nice for 2100 and then they can put in the work or money and have a great LAH for 2500, or just live with the crane lock not working which.....let's be honest....doesn't really affect gameplay in the slightest except causing the game to shake more and slowing down the flow.

#1358 4 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

Someone might be getting a LAH that's really nice for 2100 and then they can put in the work or money and have a great LAH for 2500, or just live with the crane lock not working which.....let's be honest....doesn't really affect gameplay in the slightest except causing the game to shake more and slowing down the flow.

I'm not too far from you man. Let me know! lol.

#1359 4 months ago
Quoted from Gman4737:

Hello! I posted a while back around the end of last year when I first joined. I ended up replacing some of the boards and it did fix the issue issue I was having. I replaced 520-5021-00 and 520-5047-02. I had a friend helping me and we spend hours testing fuses and replacing them and ended up resorting to purchasing new boards. I figured the boards in there were almost 30 years old anyway, and it was clear some rigging had been done lol.
Anyway, I'm really trying to learn about this stuff and I'll be honest I'm a complete noob. I just purchased Pinball Machine Care And Maintenance because I read on here it was a great resource for starting out. I also bought the physical manual for this machine as well. I know I've already made some mistakes but I really want to learn about these machines!
That being said, I would love any feedback or ideas for someone new to the hobby and ideas for customizing my machine
For this specific machine I am having some issues with the ripper. My f9 fuse blows as soon as I turn on the machine so the physical part doesn't work. Sometimes it senses when I hit the ball in and lights up for scoring but the majority of the time it does not. This machine also makes a loud buzzing sound. I've noticed around the playfield there are also a few missing nuts to fasten parts down that I'd like to find replacements for.
Sorry for the long post, again I'm new and any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

If you have a fuse blow on start up. There is a short somewhere. If its F9(coil fuse) then the coil is probably bad. Ohm the coil and see what you get. You may even be able to tell by visual inspection. I have had the ripper coil fry before. It took the plastic above it with it though. The ripper coil is a pain to access. You need to remove the right wire rails and then you can access the plastics that cover it. The loud buzzing noise is very common among DE machines. There are ways to lessen the noise by either loosening the grounding screws to the sound board or even tightening them up. Try either way. Other than that you can look into getting an LED display which drops your HV usage and the noise is greatly reduced. For missing hardware you can purchase a misc. hardware kit from Titan_Pinball. https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=58&product_id=73 or you can check out your local hardware store.

#1360 4 months ago

Question: When the crane is at rest to the left side is it supposed make contact with the switch on the Blue (ball lock) ramp all the time? Meaning keeping it closed. Or does it just hit closing it and then opening it? Mine seems to hit it and then moves slightly away from it. Do I need to adjust the crane? If so how do I adjust it? Thanks fo any help.

#1361 4 months ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I'm not too far from you man. Let me know! lol.

Don't you already have a LAH? =P Parts came in the mail yesterday to socket and replace the chips I suspect, so that'll probably happen in the next few days. Ironically enough, my wife is driving up to Sherman today maybe, heh.

#1362 4 months ago

Have done several spins around the net,ordered start buttons that won’t fit...
If anyone knows where I can pick up a start button would be great all I need is the plastic on the front it was damaged want to put the slanted start font piece behind a new plastic.
Thanks!

#1363 4 months ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Question: When the crane is at rest to the left side is it supposed make contact with the switch on the Blue (ball lock) ramp all the time? Meaning keeping it closed. Or does it just hit closing it and then opening it? Mine seems to hit it and then moves slightly away from it. Do I need to adjust the crane? If so how do I adjust it? Thanks fo any help.

Mine is always resting on the switch. I have bent the switch out to make contact though. Has been working for many years.

#1364 4 months ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Have done several spins around the net,ordered start buttons that won’t fit...
If anyone knows where I can pick up a start button would be great all I need is the plastic on the front it was damaged want to put the slanted start font piece behind a new plastic.
Thanks!

I have looked also and can't find that button.

#1365 4 months ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Calibrating the crane can be a pain. Surprisingly enough the crane is held to the rod by a single allen wrench screw. Access to the screw is found by looking into the small hole on the side of the crane. You loosen the screw and move the crane freely. The crane rests on the crane switch to the left. If that switch isn't open then the crane will move until either it IS resting on that switch or until it determines the switch is not able to be hit. Lots of times during a game the shaker motor can cause the crane to move so slightly out of position and you will hear the sound effect along with the actual movement of the crane before each ball. That is a sign that you need to adjust your crane better. Use the crane test in setup to calibrate to the best of your ability. Good luck!

#1366 4 months ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Calibrating the crane can be a pain. Surprisingly enough the crane is held to the rod by a single allen wrench screw. Access to the screw is found by looking into the small hole on the side of the crane. You loosen the screw and move the crane freely. The crane rests on the crane switch to the left. If that switch isn't open then the crane will move until either it IS resting on that switch or until it determines the switch is not able to be hit. Lots of times during a game the shaker motor can cause the crane to move so slightly out of position and you will hear the sound effect along with the actual movement of the crane before each ball. That is a sign that you need to adjust your crane better. Use the crane test in setup to calibrate to the best of your ability. Good luck!

Calibrating isn’t too hard... my tip is to run the calibration untill the motor finishes turning to the left and starts going to the right... at that point loosen the Allen wrench and turn the crane all the way to the left and tighten. Then let the motor turn for another split second so it travels just a bit more to the right, and then loosen and again readjust the crane so it’s flush against the left switch again (essentially overcompensate to the left by a quarter inch or so). Seems to work on my machine the 2-3 times I’ve had to do it.

#1367 4 months ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

... Surprisingly enough the crane is held to the rod by a single allen wrench screw....

Does loosening the screw also allow you to change the light bulbs in the cab? I've been hesitating swapping those out w/LED's.

#1368 4 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Does loosening the screw also allow you to change the light bulbs in the cab? I've been hesitating swapping those out w/LED's.

When you loosen that screw it gives you the ability to remove the crane entirely.

#1369 4 months ago

GOT IT! Thanks everyone. I also was able to replace the flashers with LED blue flashers. I have to admit, at first I was looking for the hole on the crane on the playfield leftside....didn't see it, then it sunk in, the Cranes left side which is pf right side. DUH! Thanks again for the help. My game is now all finished except for the new ROM code chip I'm waiting from Marco. Current code is 1.08.
Also, I love the Pinsound card. I put my edited version of TheCapn code along with the stock sounds. Now I can toggle between the 2.

#1370 4 months ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

When you loosen that screw it gives you the ability to remove the crane entirely.

Thanks! Moved up to the top on my 'to do' list! I alway thought the original lights were wimpy.

#1371 4 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thanks! Moved up to the top on my 'to do' list! I alway thought the original lights were wimpy.

The screw is broke off in my crane. I was able to put in led's though with difficulty. Not taking off the crane made changing rubbers and other parts very difficult. I had to repaint crane back to yellow in the cabinet. When I got it the crane was gold. It looked horrible.

#1372 4 months ago
Quoted from drummermike:

The screw is broke off in my crane. I was able to put in led's though with difficulty...

Thanks for your (unfortunate) heads up, I'll treat it w/kid gloves. I can live with the incandescent bulbs if I think I'm running into problems.

#1373 4 months ago

On my third ball it seems I am given the green light to just get multiball
Is this normal?

#1374 4 months ago

On my third ball it seems I am given the green light to just get multiball
Is this normal?

Yep (don't know if that's true for all versions of code).

#1375 4 months ago

Anyone else using these in their game? The one I have is from MAD Amusements that I got years ago and its been losing transistors over the years to where I'm down to one magnet working. I'm leaning towards the PBL one due to how "beefy" it looks. I'm done repairing the current board. The current looks identical to the marco one only mine has the LEDs on board to show which transistors are working. So, looking for feedback on which I should get if you have experienced either...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5068-01

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4699

#1376 4 months ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Anyone else using these in their game? The one I have is from MAD Amusements that I got years ago and its been losing transistors over the years to where I'm down to one magnet working. I'm leaning towards the PBL one due to how "beefy" it looks. I'm done repairing the current board. The current looks identical to the marco one only mine has the LEDs on board to show which transistors are working. So, looking for feedback on which I should get if you have experienced either...
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5068-01
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4699

Are you running the latest v1.12 game ROM?
Have you tried adding a heat sink to each on transistor on the Mad Amusement board? I have an original magnet board that has the heatsinks on each of them. I just got my game working 2 weeks ago so time will tell how long they hold up. I had also changed to the replacement IRL540 transistors instead of the original transistor.

#1377 4 months ago

I got mine from Great Lakes modular

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/stnmcb.html

Seems to work well.... though Mine wasn’t working when I first got it so I have nothing to compare it to.

#1378 4 months ago

Are you running the latest v1.12 game ROM?
Have you tried adding a heat sink to each on transistor on the Mad Amusement board? I have an original magnet board that has the heatsinks on each of them. I just got my game working 2 weeks ago so time will tell how long they hold up. I had also changed to the replacement IRL540 transistors instead of the original transistor.

Yup. 1.12 version.Yea, they are all replaced with the beefier IRL540s already, but no heatsinks. Looks like the PBL version and the great lakes one has a heat disbursement going for it. Looks like great lakes is also $20 cheaper with a warranty. hmmm.

#1379 4 months ago

I'm still leaning towards PBL and using an aluminum heatsink over all 3 of them that attaches to the board.

#1380 4 months ago

I just updated my code to the last one. 1.12v I was using 1.08. What are the main differences? I havent had this game long enough to notice the differences.

#1381 4 months ago

Color DMD announced so pumped!!

#1382 4 months ago

Color DMD is awesome news. Great, I get to spend more money on this game!!

#1383 4 months ago

Color DMD announced so pumped!!

Randy hasn't OFFICIALLY announced it. The 3rd and final hint has been revealed. All clues point to LAH. If/when the announcement is out for LAH I can give you guys more info.

#1384 4 months ago

Thumbs up for Great Lakes Modular. Had a replacement opto board from them in my Rollergames. Had a couple questions answered quickly and the board worked great.

#1385 4 months ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I just updated my code to the last one. 1.12v I was using 1.08. What are the main differences? I havent had this game long enough to notice the differences.

I know there's a posting on Pinside somewhere that shows the differences (wasn't hard to find). I recently updated to the unofficial 1.13 code and really enjoy it. There's callouts in the original game that weren't apparently used, and the gentleman that updated it to 1.13 enabled them, along with cleaning up the rules a bit. Very happy with it.

BTW, if you haven't ditched the battery backup yet, now is a good time to install a NVRAM. The memory is in a socket - so just pop it out and install the new memory. Note: you will lose all your prior scores/settings. But once done...done forever. Excellent mod for $15. I got mine thru Pinitech - great guy to work with.

#1386 4 months ago

I too have replaced my magnet board with the great lakes replacement board. Its holding up good. Been in the game for almost a year with no issues.

#1387 4 months ago

Being new to my LAH, how do you update the code? Just change out a ROM? Just bought mine a couple weeks ago. Not sure what I'm running.

#1388 4 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Being new to my LAH, how do you update the code? Just change out a ROM? Just bought mine a couple weeks ago. Not sure what I'm running.

Yep - just swap out chips. I get mine mostly from Matt's Basement Arcades (sponsor here). He has detailed instructions. If you swap out the memory w/NVRAM, I got that from Pinitech (also a sponsor here). Both great places to deal with. Both already in sockets, so about 15 min tops. Easy peasy.

#1389 4 months ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Randy hasn't OFFICIALLY announced it. The 3rd and final hint has been revealed. All clues point to LAH. If/when the announcement is out for LAH I can give

It’s all but official bro pretty sure it’s confirmed why all of sudden would it be Maverick? Ha ha
Still pumped

#1390 4 months ago

Lol, that would be a swerve but nothing like “We came, we saw, we kicked it’s @$$” being Star Trek!

Ghostbusters owners were PISSED!

#1391 4 months ago

Colourdmd, new playfields, plastics and decals from CPR, looks like it’s tome to get another LAH and restore it to new!

#1392 4 months ago

There was a guy on eBay selling NOS playfield plastics for $40. I dont see them right now, but keep and eye out. I bought a set as a back up. He has had more than one of these listed.

#1393 4 months ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

There was a guy on eBay selling NOS playfield plastics for $40. I dont see them right now, but keep and eye out. I bought a set as a back up. He has had more than one of these listed.

Confirmed NOS or good repro?

The CPR news is fantastic I plan on restoring a mint collection of Arnie pins and maybe working on a custom Total Recall based on all the released art and layouts from TWIP.

#1394 4 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

Confirmed NOS or good repro

The ones I got are NOS. Honestly, they are in clear packaging and I didn't even pull them out. Ill look closer at them if you'd like me to.

#1395 4 months ago

I just need that plastic in the middle in front of the pops VERY hard to find always looking

#1396 4 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just turn the game on...it will show you the CPU and Display version during the initial boot.

#1397 4 months ago

I missed the ColorDMD hints...and I don't seem to see the threads from them when I searched...anyone got a link, please? Been on travel for a while, maybe I missed it?

#1398 4 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I missed the ColorDMD hints...and I don't seem to see the threads from them when I searched...anyone got a link, please? Been on travel for a while, maybe I missed it?

Here you go all 3 clues:

DBF737D3-9076-4BC5-8789-B810509EAD21 (resized).jpegAA8F0E64-45F9-4EC7-8ED8-322052073481 (resized).jpeg64E5225E-7AE5-46FE-B51F-CCB664EC49CC (resized).jpeg

#1399 4 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

Here you go all 3 clues:

hmmm...obscure. But they are good at that! Number 2 is obvious. Let me think about the others.

BTW, thank you!

#1400 4 months ago

So, many of us are using the new "unofficial" 1.13 code (which I really enjoy), will that affect color DMD install if you are running 1.13?

Quoted from mbwalker:

I know there's a posting on Pinside somewhere that shows the differences (wasn't hard to find). I recently updated to the unofficial 1.13 code and really enjoy it. There's callouts in the original game that weren't apparently used, and the gentleman that updated it to 1.13 enabled them, along with cleaning up the rules a bit. Very happy with it.
BTW, if you haven't ditched the battery backup yet, now is a good time to install a NVRAM. The memory is in a socket - so just pop it out and install the new memory. Note: you will lose all your prior scores/settings. But once done...done forever. Excellent mod for $15. I got mine thru Pinitech - great guy to work with.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Johnson City, TN
2,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Li, NY
$ 229.99
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
There are 1766 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside