20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,517 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 71.
#1001 6 years ago

There are two screws that you can adjust on the wire rail that connect to the PF. Also, you would be surprised at making just a small adjustment to the level of your machine can affect it too. Try putting something of equal size under your front legs. Something like coasters. See if that changes anything.

#1002 6 years ago

Had this games for a couple years. Finally got to world premiere tonight. It was immediately after I tweaked the level

1 week later
#1003 6 years ago

Just joined the club with a dead LAH last week. I got it for a very very sweet price (considering prices of machines in NZ) and so spent around 15 hours over the weekend trouble shooting the PSB & PPB (as well as the Flipper board). $40 worth of components and its back to working sweet!

It still needs a bit of a tuneup and a full clean, for now I'm enjoying my hard work! I do have one annoying issue and thats the ball getting stuck either behind or under (as in the picture) the wire in the back right VUK - any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

IMG_3141 (resized).JPGIMG_3141 (resized).JPG

#1004 6 years ago

Also known as "the part that is broken on every LAH ever."

Rebuild the mech, make sure that the ball is being hit squarely and adjust adjust adjust until it works.

#1005 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Also known as "the part that is broken on every LAH ever."
Rebuild the mech, make sure that the ball is being hit squarely and adjust adjust adjust until it works.

Had the same problem, and simply bend down the loop a bit more. Has been working perfectly fine for the last 9 months now.

#1006 6 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Had the same problem, and simply bend down the loop a bit more. Has been working perfectly fine for the last 9 months now.

Thanks for the info, funnily enough I just came across your post a few pages back regarding it. I assume theres no way to bend the wire without taking the VUK off the playfield?

#1007 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Thanks for the info, funnily enough I just came across your post a few pages back regarding it. I assume theres no way to bend the wire without taking the VUK off the playfield?

Not really, but it comes off rather easy compared to some other games out there.

#1008 6 years ago

Not really, but it comes off rather easy compared to some other games out there.

Yep, was a really easy fix - and now the only issue I have is the ball getting hung up occasionally on the drop downs. Such a fun game!

#1009 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Yep, was a really easy fix - and now the only issue I have is the ball getting hung up occasionally on the drop downs. Such a fun game!

You can adjust them from the underside. The bracket allows them to be moved up and down.

#1010 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

and now the only issue I have is the ball getting hung up occasionally on the drop downs. Such a fun game!

+1

and often, when ball search goes on, upping target makes the ball falling perfectly SDTM...
i'm sure this is Slater revenge !!!

#1011 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

the only issue I have is the ball getting hung up occasionally on the drop downs

I added a pushbutton parallel to the 'reset drop target bank'-switch, right underneath the pistol.

LAH (resized).pngLAH (resized).png

#1012 6 years ago

Thats a great idea - I'm hoping after a full clean and wax it will be too quick for the ball to rest on the drop downs. Can anyone recommend where to get the 1.13 rom (pre-burnt)? Is it also advisable to update the sound and display roms too?

#1013 6 years ago
Quoted from Bos007:

I added a pushbutton parallel to the 'reset drop target bank'-switch, right underneath the pistol.

If you set the drop targets up higher you won’t have this issue and no need for a bypass switch

#1014 6 years ago

Just joined the club, LAH being my first ever pin. Lot's of fun so far, have been lucky that a couple of my problems were just switches not making contact, back to working with some very minor adjustments. A lot of the low hanging fruit is already gone now, may need to replace the mag board.

My biggest problem is single pinball machine ownership, I quickly realised you can't play and repair at the same time.

Anyway, great thread, I'm still working my way through but it's been both inspirational and educational so far.

#1015 6 years ago
Quoted from Feverish:

My biggest problem is single pinball machine ownership, I quickly realised you can't play and repair at the same time.

My second one came 3 months after I got my first, which was an LAH as well. Same reason. Always need to have one up and running .

1 week later
#1016 6 years ago

Hey guys could anyone please check their machines and see if I'm missing a post on the left drain (right drain has one in the same place).

Cheers

IMG_3164 (resized).JPGIMG_3164 (resized).JPG

IMG_3162 (resized).JPGIMG_3162 (resized).JPG

#1017 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Hey guys could anyone please check their machines and see if I'm missing a post on the left drain (right drain has one in the same place).

Yes, mine has one on both sides. Looks like yours has a pilot hole but was never installed at the factory!

#1018 6 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Yes, mine has one on both sides. Looks like yours has a pilot hole but was never installed at the factory!

Cheers man, any idea if this is a common part (noob question).

#1019 6 years ago

Mine was like that (hole but no post) and I installed a post in my pinball noob-ieness.

Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Cheers

Mine had the hole but no post... and I installed a post in my pinball noob-ieness. It had ALOT of wear tho so no great loss.

#1020 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Cheers

Per factory there is no post in that hole. I guess somebody decided to put it onto the template and in production they decided against it.

#1021 6 years ago

got them on mine, and feel game is OK as it (not eating balls too much in the outlanes), with the "moving" external posts being set at the medium position

i guess without these posts, must be more than a nightmare to get balls in the inlanes !?

edit : another linked point to this, i have the slope set at max

#1022 6 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

This was my first pin and I have had it a long time. I noticed this just a while ago. I installed a post and am happy with it.

#1023 6 years ago

You can adjust them from the underside. The bracket allows them to be moved up and down.

Thanks for that tip. The ball was always getting stuck on top of the drop downs. Easy adjustment.

#1024 6 years ago

Hi guys . I just recently purchased my first pinball machine the LAH of course! I love it! I had a question though. I'm very new to all of this now do the high scores work on these machines? It cycles through characters names in the movies with their score. Also is there a way to reset the high score if that needs to be done? Thank you!

#1025 6 years ago

Should the posts holding the captive balls have sleeves or no sleeves? Or variable, as a way of adjusting difficulty?

I find the captive balls, especially the left one, nearly impossible to hit with sleeves on.

P_20171026_185122_1_p (resized).jpgP_20171026_185122_1_p (resized).jpg

P_20171026_185113_1_p (resized).jpgP_20171026_185113_1_p (resized).jpg

#1026 6 years ago
Quoted from Gman4737:

Hi guys . I just recently purchased my first pinball machine the LAH of course! I love it! I had a question though. I'm very new to all of this now do the high scores work on these machines? It cycles through characters names in the movies with their score. Also is there a way to reset the high score if that needs to be done? Thank you!

The names associated with the high scores are just a fun way of ranking the scores. When you beat a high score, you'll still get to enter your initials. Then it will show up as something like "GMN #2 Danny 780,000,000".

You can reset the scores from the adjustments menu. Also, any time you take out the batteries (assuming you have batteries, not nvram) or the RAM chip, you'll lose the scores.

Do you have a paper manual for the game? If not, look up the game at IPDB.org and you can download one there, it will give you a walkthrough of how to get into the adjustments and what options there are.

#1027 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Should the posts holding the captive balls have sleeves or no sleeves? Or variable, as a way of adjusting difficulty?
I find the captive balls, especially the left one, nearly impossible to hit with sleeves on.

Use thin sleeves.

I have titans silicone in my last action hero and tales from the crypt ball captures. I used their slim stern post cover and they work great!

08FEE4B3-3EDD-4EAB-8AC9-603C3975657D (resized).jpeg08FEE4B3-3EDD-4EAB-8AC9-603C3975657D (resized).jpeg
DF98F305-1424-4D97-A311-FD9747D282FA (resized).jpegDF98F305-1424-4D97-A311-FD9747D282FA (resized).jpeg
1B4644E2-F75F-451E-B478-760CCE12A3E9 (resized).jpeg1B4644E2-F75F-451E-B478-760CCE12A3E9 (resized).jpeg

#1028 6 years ago

Note: On LAH VUK Assembly.
1) Need to have the ball rest on the hole on the main bracket.
2) The microswitch wire form should lay flat against the top of the main bracket.
2a) Make sure the wire form does not rub against any form of the playfield.
3) The plunger should have a slight cup at the tip. You have to use a hobby type blade
and cut it out ever so slightly and smooth out the rough edges.
4) Reassemble into the game and test. The VUK should fire the ball straight up.

#1029 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Use thin sleeves.
I have titans silicone in my last action hero and tales from the crypt ball captures. I used their slim stern posy cover and they work great!

Thanks Antennaejim, I didn't know those were a thing. I'll put them on my shopping list.

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

The names associated with the high scores are just a fun way of ranking the scores. When you beat a high score, you'll still get to enter your initials. Then it will show up as something like "GMN #2 Danny 780,000,000".
You can reset the scores from the adjustments menu. Also, any time you take out the batteries (assuming you have batteries, not nvram) or the RAM chip, you'll lose the scores.
Do you have a paper manual for the game? If not, look up the game at IPDB.org and you can download one there, it will give you a walkthrough of how to get into the adjustments and what options there are.

Thank you very much I will do that!

#1031 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Should the posts holding the captive balls have sleeves or no sleeves? Or variable, as a way of adjusting difficulty ? I find the captive balls, especially the left one, nearly impossible to hit with sleeves on.

as we often say here, play better ! (friendly of course)
but i admit, hard shot... and here not about the left, but more the right one, the shoot must be more than perfect to hit the ball...

than why not putting thin sleeves if you feel more comfortable as it

#1032 6 years ago

LAH does something that annoys me a bit, I can't tell if it's a bug or a feature. The crane sometimes travels out and back without a ball lock being ready, eg the start of ball 2. I'm not sure if it's a feature, they just wanted the crane toy to be more active and interesting, or if something is triggering it and shouldn't be.

What's the verdict? Do other people's cranes travel at times besides ball lock ready?

#1033 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

LAH does something that annoys me a bit, I can't tell if it's a bug or a feature. The crane sometimes travels out and back without a ball lock being ready, eg the start of ball 2. I'm not sure if it's a feature, they just wanted the crane toy to be more active and interesting, or if something is triggering it and shouldn't be.
What's the verdict? Do other people's cranes travel at times besides ball lock ready?

One of the switches related to the crane alignment may be off. Crane should only swing during ball lock, ball search and modes associated with the crane (super crane ETC).

#1034 6 years ago

In alignment with Taygeta here.

Chances are your crane is moving throughout the game via the shaker motor or nudging and its no longer pressing against the tar pit switch. Either adjust the crane or your tar pit switch. Common problem with the game. Getting that crane just right is a pain.

1 week later
#1035 6 years ago

Hey guys, has anyone ever had both the top right VUK switch and the right 'mystery' scoop switch go dead at the same time? Neither are registering in switch mode - is it just a stink coincidence or should I be looking at something else? I have depressed them manually and they both sound like there switching.

Added over 6 years ago: Just an update on this in case anyone else has this issue, white/purple wire had loose connection on the top right VUK switch. Re-soldered and everything is working sweet! *A few days down and I started going into withdrawals!

2 weeks later
#1036 6 years ago

Hello LAH owners. I recently purchased my first pin and it happened to be an LAH. I do have one thing that I cant seem to find. In the back left corner the blue octagon flasher dome is broken and I can not find one anywhere. Is there something that is a direct replacement that is blue? or what are others doing since this part seems to be impossible to find.

#1037 6 years ago
Quoted from WorldWideWeapon:

Hello LAH owners. I recently purchased my first pin and it happened to be an LAH. I do have one thing that I cant seem to find. In the back left corner the blue octagon flasher dome is broken and I can not find one anywhere. Is there something that is a direct replacement that is blue? or what are others doing since this part seems to be impossible to find.

I had the same issue. All mine had broken tabs. Got tired of looking for original. I now have cylindrical blue and red mini mars domes from Marco. They have the screw tabs. They look great.

#1038 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I had the same issue. All mine had broken tabs. Got tired of looking for original. I now have cylindrical blue and red mini mars domes from Marco. They have the screw tabs. They look great.

these?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8149-10

#1039 6 years ago

Yes those are the ones. I got 2 blue and 2 red.

1 week later
#1040 6 years ago

Hey y'all,

Joined this club the other week, haven't had a lot of time to play it yet, but love DE's. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions but a few to start that I can notice:

- This is missing the ticket speaker grills, anyone know the best way to get a set or have one they'd be willing to sell?
- What kind of action should I expect from the magnets? I've started multiball but haven't seen much in that area? Are there any ways to test it in the menus?
- What LED kit is the best?
- I've seen a few of these with colorDMD's, where can I find one, it doesn't seem like the actual colorDMD brand supports LAH.
- Any good mods out there I should look at?

Thanks and happy to join!

#1041 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Hey y'all,
Joined this club the other week, haven't had a lot of time to play it yet, but love DE's. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions but a few to start that I can notice:
- This is missing the ticket speaker grills, anyone know the best way to get a set or have one they'd be willing to sell?
- What kind of action should I expect from the magnets? I've started multiball but haven't seen much in that area? Are there any ways to test it in the menus?

Welcome to the club! Sorry can't help with the speaker grills, but I'm sure someone here will have a lead on them for you!

In regards to the magnets, you can check them in the diagnostics settings - if you haven't grabbed the manual yet its available here http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1416/Data_East_1993_Last_Action_Hero_Manual.pdf the driver board for it is underneath the playfield (lower middle) - if your magnets aren't working I would check the fuses there first. I just picked up a bunch of LEDS from Comet and kinda made my own kit as its heaps cheaper and it also allows you to play around a bit with where you want colours etc.

#1042 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Hey y'all,
- I've seen a few of these with colorDMD's, where can I find one, it doesn't seem like the actual colorDMD brand supports LAH.
- Any good mods out there I should look at?
Thanks and happy to join!

i also just did some LEDS from comet. I went with frosted white all around. It made the game much brighter and really all you need imo.

#1043 6 years ago

So I have a question guys. Keep in mind I am completely new to this you'll have to treat me as if i know nothing lol. So lately I've been having some trouble with my machine. It would take a while to load up and then finally say I'll be back a few times before it said it completely. Then it would work. So this time when I turned it on it said a ball was missing. It was stuck in the part that shoots it up so I removed it and it went back to where the other balls were like it should and it let me start a game. However now the game won't start when I click start it just shows 00. And when it was started if it got past the 00 it wouldn't shoot the balls at all. I would keep pulling the trigger and everything seemed to be working with the sounds and light except the shooter. What do you think is wrong with it? Thank you!

#1044 6 years ago
Quoted from Gman4737:

So I have a question guys. Keep in mind I am completely new to this you'll have to treat me as if i know nothing lol. So lately I've been having some trouble with my machine. It would take a while to load up and then finally say I'll be back a few times before it said it completely. Then it would work. So this time when I turned it on it said a ball was missing. It was stuck in the part that shoots it up so I removed it and it went back to where the other balls were like it should and it let me start a game. However now the game won't start when I click start it just shows 00. And when it was started if it got past the 00 it wouldn't shoot the balls at all. I would keep pulling the trigger and everything seemed to be working with the sounds and light except the shooter. What do you think is wrong with it? Thank you!

Sounds like a wire came off of the coil. If you take the glass off does everything register if you hit it manually?

#1045 6 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Sounds like a wire came off of the coil. If you take the glass off does everything register if you hit it manually?

Sorry I could have sworn I replied to this already but it isn’t showing up. When you say everything register what do you mean exactly? I think it has a power supply issue because now it won’t even load up the screen or do anything. It just freezes on a pixelated screen. And the lights in the back even appear to be kind of dim. But I have no idea where to start to figure out or fix the issue.

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from Gman4737:

Sorry I could have sworn I replied to this already but it isn’t showing up. When you say everything register what do you mean exactly? I think it has a power supply issue because now it won’t even load up the screen or do anything. It just freezes on a pixelated screen. And the lights in the back even appear to be kind of dim. But I have no idea where to start to figure out or fix the issue.

In the diagnostics from the buttons on the coin door you can go into was called The Switch test. That will let you manually check every switch in the game and it will tell you if it's registering or not. It's one of the best tools available. However it sounds like you have larger issues. You should probably open up a separate thread for that.

#1047 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Cheers

Check the manual, page 36 diagram for rubber parts illustration. In my manual, it shows as size "H", but should be size "A". the parts list has the quantity at (2) for 3/16" rubber but illustration shows only 1. I used a 530-5004-00 post and a 23-6626 rubber.

1 week later
#1048 6 years ago

Need opinion.

Fuse 7 (3amp slow-Blo) blows after a while.

Flipper and Flashers, correct?

Thoughts on how to find my short?

Maybe disconnect Flasher molex connector (which one?) and see if fuse still blows?

What do you think the 1st step would be?

Thanks in advance for your council.

#1049 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Need opinion.
Fuse 7 (3amp slow-Blo) blows after a while.
Flipper and Flashers, correct?
Thoughts on how to find my short?
Maybe disconnect Flasher molex connector (which one?) and see if fuse still blows?
What do you think the 1st step would be?
Thanks in advance for your council.

I had a similar problem, but it turned out that I simply needed to use a different type of fuse. The one with the spiral inside rather than the thin wire.
Might not be your problem, but I figured I throw it out there.

#1050 6 years ago

Might not be your problem, but I figured I throw it out there.

Thanks man. Yeah, I am already using a "spiral" fuse (Slow-Blo).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,517 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/21?hl=lowkeyfilms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.