20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 71.
#451 9 years ago

I put in an LED OCD board, smooth fades with LED's just like incandescent. www.ocdled.com I would vote the single best aftermarket part for pinball machines ever created. Everyone is blown away when they see them in action. Not inexpensive, but not outrageously so either...and to me, the effect is worth it. LED brightness and colors with the beautiful fades that were intended with incandescent bulbs.

#452 9 years ago

Just got back from a job out of town and my ROM burner is here, gonna burn 1.13 very soon! Pumped!

(and yes Paul, I bought a chip for you too and will burn one )

#453 9 years ago

I may go the LED OCD route at some point.. Just unsure if it's a LAH thing, or LED issue.. I'll do some bulb swaps to figure it out.. Thanks. (And Yes, I look forward to the 1.13 update.., have an extra chip? Ha.. - FUN machine so far, wow!)

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

I've joined the club!
Question.., Does LAH ghost LEDs more then other Data East machines? My TFTC has no ghosting, yet LAH (with the same nonghosting Comet,CT&PBL LEDs) is pretty darn bad..
Thanks!

photo 1.JPG 122 KB

My LAH has non ghosting comets and I experience no ghosting at all.

#455 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

My LAH has non ghosting comets and I experience no ghosting at all.

Hmmm.. I have about 10 or so Comets as of now and still get the ghosting.. Could there be anything else that could cause ghosting?

#456 9 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Hmmm.. I have about 10 or so Comets as of now and still get the ghosting.. Could there be anything else that could cause ghosting?

Are you sure they are the non-ghosting ones?

#457 9 years ago

If you're going to do the LED OCD, you want the non-ghosting ones anyway.

edit: I should say you want the standard bulbs, the ones WITHOUT the non-ghosting circuit. Sorry for the confusion.

#458 9 years ago

Had a chance to finally give the new 1.13 ROM a go. Excellent, makes an already excellent machine arguably the best DE made. Hit the ripper kickback during the ripper mode for the first time as well, a million points per switch is nothing to sneeze at!

Thanks for all your work caker!

#459 9 years ago

So, I was in the Super Crane mode and had the multiball going. After a little, I noticed a very loud buzzing. I immediately turned the game off. Looks like one of my magnets is locking on. I removed the fuse and the other two seem to work OK. How does one go about fixing this. I have noticed the area above the playfield getting warm when the magnets are on before but never thought much of it. Thanks!

#460 9 years ago

Hi, guys, new in the club!

Got one with dying display (to make it worse it's german rom and display is almost 100% out when going into adjustments menu, so I had to count clicks against Visual pinmame version to know which adjustment to change to have a 3 ball game instead of a 5 ball) and lot's of not working switches, but

I think it has no cabinet fade
lah2-DSC_8485.jpglah2-DSC_8485.jpg
it got no ticket wear, scoops are little battered, but no m-ball insert wear whatsoever
lah1-DSC_8481.jpglah1-DSC_8481.jpg
here's the shooter lane, can someone knowledgeable about scrying with shooter lane tell me if this game has been played much or not?
lah3-DSC_8484.jpglah3-DSC_8484.jpg

issues I have to attend very immediately:

1. it is absolutely pugnant with tobacco stench, stenching the whole room. I know I can get rid of some of it inside by vacuuming and sodium bicarbonate, but what about exterior? no stencils on the cabinet, it's original, may it be rinsed lightly with sponge and soapy water or anything else?

2. whole lower GI is out, any starting point for looking? upper GI (pops and plastics near captive ball) works

3. danger bar is not resetting CRANE targets. There is no schematic for drop target assembly in the manual, drop targets are working and game resets them at the beginning of each ball. Danger bar can be pulled toward outside (but not smoothly) by hand when targets are down, but it is not moving inward. is there supposed to be some motion of danger bar when hit by ball?

4. left flipper is buzzing when pressed.

5. somebody took out magnet board.

thanks

#461 9 years ago

1. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-odors-from-a-pinball
2. follow the wiring, find the spot the GI stops, there's probably a cut wire
3. I believe the bar isn't connected electrically
4. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-makes-buzzing-sound-when-i-hold-it
"Yes, stern should relate to data east"

Quoted from Ika:

somebody took out magnet board

http://www.homepin.com/magnet.html

#462 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

. danger bar is not resetting CRANE targets. There is no schematic for drop target assembly in the manual, drop targets are working and game resets them at the beginning of each ball. Danger bar can be pulled toward outside (but not smoothly) by hand when targets are down, but it is not moving inward. is there supposed to be some motion of danger bar when hit by ball?

Yes there are two switches behind it. That bar can get bent and effect the way it works and not move enough when hit by the ball to trigger a switch. If you pull the plastic off the top you can see how it works and figure out what's wrong. Mike

#463 9 years ago

2. Fuse? But why would the fuse blow...

#464 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

So, I was in the Super Crane mode and had the multiball going. After a little, I noticed a very loud buzzing. I immediately turned the game off. Looks like one of my magnets is locking on. I removed the fuse and the other two seem to work OK. How does one go about fixing this. I have noticed the area above the playfield getting warm when the magnets are on before but never thought much of it. Thanks!

Bump

#465 9 years ago

quick questions: I have old rom 1.06 and old display rom 1.02.

1) What is the housing for EPROM for burning 1.13, DIL 28 or PLC 32?

2) Can I just update CPU ROM to 1.13 without updating display ROM?

3) What EPROM and in what housing should I buy to have latest display ROM burned on it?

thanks

#466 9 years ago

Hi all, I've had mine for about 9 months and have a big problem I need help with. Some background, for the last few months the sound wouldn't start until Arnold had stuttered for quite awhile, on top of that the last month I would flip the switch and some lights would come on but it would take several minutes for the DMD and lights to come on and start attract mode. The other day I decide the try and reseat the connectors. I go through that and then when I started a game it would show 00 score and wouldn't kick the ball out to start, it also didn't show the normal animation it was stuck showing 00. Well just now I turn it on and no lights come on, only response is from the crane which moves to one side and then I smell something burning so I turned off and unplugged. My skill set includes soldering and that's about it. Just called my local pinball repair guy and the open-ended pricing is worse than feared. Any ideas or suggestions? I have been looking at getting another pin but my wife is looking at this one going "I told you so"

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

quick questions: I have old rom 1.06 and old display rom 1.02.
1) What is the housing for EPROM for burning 1.13, DIL 28 or PLC 32?
2) Can I just update CPU ROM to 1.13 without updating display ROM?
3) What EPROM and in what housing should I buy to have latest display ROM burned on it?
thanks

1) The ROM is a 27C512
2) Yes
3) Wish I could be of more help, but I bought mine online from pinballroms.com already burnt.

#468 9 years ago
Quoted from osudrummer:

Hi all, I've had mine for about 9 months and have a big problem I need help with. Some background, for the last few months the sound wouldn't start until Arnold had stuttered for quite awhile, on top of that the last month I would flip the switch and some lights would come on but it would take several minutes for the DMD and lights to come on and start attract mode. The other day I decide the try and reseat the connectors. I go through that and then when I started a game it would show 00 score and wouldn't kick the ball out to start, it also didn't show the normal animation it was stuck showing 00. Well just now I turn it on and no lights come on, only response is from the crane which moves to one side and then I smell something burning so I turned off and unplugged. My skill set includes soldering and that's about it. Just called my local pinball repair guy and the open-ended pricing is worse than feared. Any ideas or suggestions? I have been looking at getting another pin but my wife is looking at this one going "I told you so"

Sounds like a voltage issue....

#469 9 years ago

Thanks, should I buy a meter and test certain areas or just take it in the shorts and hire someone?

#470 9 years ago
Quoted from osudrummer:

should I buy a meter and test certain areas or just take it in the shorts and hire someone?

Every pinball owner should have a meter, and you don't necessarily need to buy an expensive fluke. You can buy a pretty nice meter for almost nothing. This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050LVFS0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Ronnie is telling you to buy a meter because usually when things start failing like you describe, the voltage is dropping (so you get a weird sometimes works, but not completely), then finally fails. There are voltage regulators in every pinball, and it's basically testing of those components to find out what failed (quite often it's the 5v line going to logic). If you aren't already, I would subscribe to pinball ninja's website ($20 donation, google it). Clay harell has hundreds of videos, everything from mechanical to electrical issues. Even if it's not LAH, the same problem occurs on many other titles, and you're likely to see similar issues to what you see on yours.

I'm all about supporting pinball techs, but it can get REALLY costly and I only use them if I'm absolutely stuck, and I usually wait until a couple of my pins have issues to make it worth it. Truth be told, by the time you pay the $80+ travel fee, and an hour of labor, you can usually just buy a new board and sell the old one off to let someone else fix it for the same price. The other option is to go to a pinball show and bring your board (s) in and let them put it in a test fixture to find issues, at least then you save the travel fee and they'll do a much more thorough job.

#471 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Every pinball owner should have a meter, and you don't necessarily need to buy an expensive fluke. You can buy a pretty nice meter for almost nothing. This is the one I have:
amazon.com link »
Ronnie is telling you to buy a meter because usually when things start failing like you describe, the voltage is dropping (so you get a weird sometimes works, but not completely), then finally fails. There are voltage regulators in every pinball, and it's basically testing of those components to find out what failed (quite often it's the 5v line going to logic). If you aren't already, I would subscribe to pinball ninja's website ($20 donation, google it). Clay harell has hundreds of videos, everything from mechanical to electrical issues. Even if it's not LAH, the same problem occurs on many other titles, and you're likely to see similar issues to what you see on yours.
I'm all about supporting pinball techs, but it can get REALLY costly and I only use them if I'm absolutely stuck, and I usually wait until a couple of my pins have issues to make it worth it. Truth be told, by the time you pay the $80+ travel fee, and an hour of labor, you can usually just buy a new board and sell the old one off to let someone else fix it for the same price. The other option is to go to a pinball show and bring your board (s) in and let them put it in a test fixture to find issues, at least then you save the travel fee and they'll do a much more thorough job.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was ready to call the tech but will buy a meter and see if I can dig my way out!

#472 9 years ago

update:

got to clean my LAH a bit this weekend and found out why danger bar didn't budge or work - somebody stuck a cardboard to keep it from firing. seems like they wanted route customers to have an easy game. removed that and now it works like a charm.

#473 9 years ago

I don't know about easier, just potentially more balls during the multiball.

#474 9 years ago

So I have a capacitor that appears to be leaking on the power board, any advice on removing it and adding a new one? Where do I put the leads to check the power to confirm +5v? I subscribed to the ninja forum but nothing there I've found with this very basic beginner info. Anything else I should test before powering on?

Thanks,

#475 9 years ago

Do you know how to read a schematic?

#476 9 years ago

Hoping maybe some in this thread has seen this issue with LAH. Game works great , most of the time. Sometimes when you start multi ball or super crane, the sound will cut in and out, the crane will stutter/run slow. The sound will continue to cut out after multiball ends and the crane makes it back home. It usually straightens itself out by the end of the game. Happens one out of twenty games maybe..
So, first thing was rebuild PS and all plugs, then installed new Rottendog PS, changed ribbon cables, swapped out sound board and cpu/driver board with other boards from a buddies LAH. No change in behavior at all.
Any ideas? I am pretty good at fixing pins, but this one is driving me nuts.
Thanks!

1 month later
#477 9 years ago

Hi, can anyone take a picture of the knocker worong? Mine missing and I have bought a new one but I dont know what wires go where.

#478 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Hi, can anyone take a picture of the knocker worong? Mine missing and I have bought a new one but I dont know what wires go where.

The pic of the worong you requested..

photo (2).JPGphoto (2).JPG
#480 9 years ago

I just want to thank everyone that made the new 1.13 rom possible. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it certainly takes a great pin and makes it feel so much more polished. I love the new call outs, the refined modes, the better scoring, and the removal of the free multi-ball. I honestly think this machine can go toe to toe with many of the top tier machines.

I took a peak at the rankings today and I couldn't believe this machine slipped into the 120's! Last time I looked, it was somewhere in the 90's. I was expecting the new code to have caused a bit of upward momentum in this title. Oh well, I guess rankings aren't everything. I was just surprised it had slipped about 30 positions since I last looked. LAH is so much better than dozens of the machines ranked higher!

#481 9 years ago
Quoted from retrotilt:

I was expecting the new code to have caused a bit of upward momentum in this title. Oh well, I guess rankings aren't everything. I was just surprised it had slipped about 30 positions since I last looked. LAH is so much better than dozens of the machines ranked higher!

Many don't have access to rom burners, and since it's not an official release nobody can really sell them either (which makes it limited). Perhaps when the latest code starts entering tournaments, it will get it ranked better.

#482 9 years ago

Excellent machine, if you need assistance getting a rom let me know.

#483 9 years ago
Quoted from CanadianGamer:

Just this last one and I'm finished catching up on this thread.
I had this problem with my crane and tried adjusting it to hell and back, but it always effed up again. I was ready to go the route you went and buy a new crane assembly until I changed the bridge rectifier on the power supply board. I don't have a clue as to the why and the how but it worked. I was just trying to get my game to stop the random resets it was doing, and after changing the bridge rectifier (DB1 I believe?) I decided to take a chance and turn the crane on again. Lo and behold it was working fine and has ever since. The random resets were from a bad connector on power supply, CN1. I hope this helps.

Big shout to Canadiangamer! This fix was verified by me on my LAH, I went through 2 crane changes, multiple switch changes and for the life of me I could not get the crane to cycle back and forth on time to catch/deliver the ball. The power supply bridge rectifier DB1 was the culprit. BTW everything else on my game worked as advertised, no resets, no other issues. It seems that perhaps the power from the bridge was just a bit low and it slowed down the crane enough to take out it out of sync. Thanks CG!

Post edited by kvan99

#484 9 years ago

A healthy LAH is a happy LAH!

#485 9 years ago

Would someone be so kind and inform me what type of fuse that's supposed to be in F1 on the shaker board?

#486 9 years ago

I have no way of getting a rom either, and will gladly pay reasonable costs and shipping if someone could make one for me. Pretty please?

#487 9 years ago

I just got the rom today and I tried it out, it makes a very big improvement in the game play and scoring, thanks for your hard work Craig! I will make a donation tonight.

1 week later
#488 9 years ago

Well as you guys might have guessed, I love LAH (I did the 1.13 mod firmware). In my opinion it is one of, if not THE best data east machines. It seems like this thread might need a bump, so I thought I'd plug my recent product for some of you that might have missed the thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

This is a PCB / Kit that helps to calm the "seizure multiball" effect when you have LEDs installed in your GI. Very similar to herg's GI OCD, but his does not support Data East; this one does

Official product website:

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

I'm not a big company, just a guy who loves pinball, so these are produced in limited supply; I currently have a small handful of extra kits on hand from the first run. Paypal purchase available at the website, or shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

#489 9 years ago

I can attest to the awesomeness of this board, have it in my LAH and it's amazing!

#490 9 years ago

I don't have access to a ROM burner, if anyone is burning Craig's new ROM and can make an extra let me know.

#491 9 years ago

Can anyone please help me out and show me in a pic or easily explain to me where to insert the new rom when I get it? I'm new to doing anything with boards except pulling a cable out to air dust then reinsert,
Cheers
PChop

#492 9 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Can anyone please help me out and show me in a pic or easily explain to me where to insert the new rom when I get it?

http://www.pinballroms.com/documents/installing_eproms_de.html

Just make sure you don't bend any pins, and install it the same way the old one was (notch in same orientation) and you'll be fine.

#493 9 years ago

If the pins of the new chip are angled outward too much to easily fit in the socket, set the chip with one side of the pins flat on the glass and gently roll the chip towards the pins, ever so gently bending all of the pins in a little, repeat for the other side. Do this until the pins line up better and you don't have to struggle to get the pins into the socket.

1 week later
#494 9 years ago

About to finally install the new rom.
I read the link about installing that was posted.
I Just want to be sure that I install the chip in the ROM 0 socket on the Main board.
I'm new to this and wanted to discount double-check with you guys.
Better to measure twice then cut right.

Thanks for the help
Cheers
PorkChop

#495 9 years ago

CLEARANCE TIME! I have a few of these replacement decals left. We will never be running these again.

Pinsider price $20 + $3 shipping

Here is my ebay page with the details on the ticket

ebay.com link: Last Action Hero Playfield Ticket Decal Replacement Overlay Pinball Mod Upgrade

116.jpg116.jpg
#496 9 years ago

This seems like a good deal on a LAH. $1350 with leds. Magnet board is not working.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-last-action-hero-northern-virginia-1550#post-2275644

#497 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

CLEARANCE TIME! I have a few of these replacement decals left. We will never be running these again.
Pinsider price $20 + $3 shipping
Here is my ebay page with the details on the ticket
ebay.com link » Last Action Hero Playfield Ticket Decal Replacement Overlay Pinball Mod Upgrade

116.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Hey Mike, I just pm'd you.

#498 9 years ago

I think that was a fair deal, no shaker motor installed and no driver board for it either. But, looked nice and clean.

#499 9 years ago

The new LAH rom is awesome. Highly reccommend getting it.
Thanks Caker137 for doing this.
Thanks Matt_Rasmussen for helping me get it.
Cheers
PorkChopExpress

#500 9 years ago

hello everybody! i have a problem with LAH. I posted to the regular forum but someone suggested i post it here too. my LAH game is not moving the ball to the lock position with the crane it goes almost all the way but stops short and drops the ball back onto the playfield, then the game launches another ball thinking the first one is locked. the crane goes all the way against the wall other times but for some reason when its going to lock a ball it stops short. can anybody help me with this it would be greatly appreciated

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.