New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 272774)

LASIK Eye Surgery Club

By mrm_4

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0D4FDD90-1168-4126-820C-A5D6441B6FC6.gif

#1 3 months ago

Yesterday morning at 10am I went in for LASIK (all laser). Got both eyes done, went home, took the best nap of my life to sleep off the Valium and woke up at 5pm and could see!

Post Op exam this morning has me at 20/15 vision.

First thing I did today was install a Cliffy lane protector on my Firepower!

Anyone else in the hobby ever experience this amazing feat in human ingenuity?

#2 3 months ago

11 years ago, I treated myself to Lasik as a 60th birthday present. I started wearing glasses/contact lenses at the age of 7. Best 4 grand I ever spent. Enjoy.
Harry Irvin
Macungie, PA

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from pinrayhji:

11 years ago, I treated myself to Lasik as a 60th birthday present. I started wearing glasses/contact lenses at the age of 7. Best 4 grand I ever spent. Enjoy.
Harry Irvin
Macungie, PA

I’m actually mad at myself for waiting this long. It was raining this morning and just not having to worry about cleaning my dumb glasses off walking in the rain was so awesome.

#4 3 months ago

I actually had lasik in June 2000. Previously had 20/500 vision in both eyes. Was nearly blind. Came out with 20/15 vision. I’m now 43 years old and 20 years later I still have 20/20 vision. Best money ever spent

#5 3 months ago

One of the biggest things I noticed is how much more sensitive my eyes are to peeling onions.

#6 3 months ago

I want to do this. I’m very nervous about getting this done. I keep putting it off.

#7 3 months ago

Had it done last October. Zero side effects and I have the eyes of a hawk now. Still
suck at pinball.

#8 3 months ago

Had it done 7 years ago at 43yo.
Now 50 and the close up vision is starting to go.

#9 3 months ago

I had it done about 20 years ago. It lasted about 8 years for me to get back to the point that road signs were hard to read again. Then I had it done again and it lasted about 8 more years. Then I went to have it done a third time and they said they'd decided it was no longer safe to lift up an old flap to redo lasik more than a year after the initial surgery. So I had PRK done on one eye. I'm currently about 20/20 in the good eye and maybe 20/50 in the bad eye. Getting close to redoing the bad eye, but worried that it will make reading tough. That's why they recommended keeping one eye for near vision and one eye for far vision after age 40.

#10 3 months ago

Is it still the case that LASIK can correct for nearsightedness OR farsightedness, but eventually you need reading glasses again? I’ve worn glasses since age 9, and i much prefer contacts instead of heavy glasses but they irritate my eyes after a few hours. Have been considering LASIK for years.

#11 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is it still the case that LASIK can correct for nearsightedness OR farsightedness, but eventually you need reading glasses again? I’ve worn glasses since age 9, and i much prefer contacts instead of heavy glasses but they irritate my eyes after a few hours. Have been considering LASIK for years.

Yep. See my post above. It only corrects what's wrong now. If your eyes were going to keep changing for life, that won't stop. Kinda sucks...

#12 3 months ago

Good for you guys! I am so jealous. I am the reverse. I always had perfect vision. I had an accident in 2010 that damaged my retina in my right eye. They saved the retina but I lost my cornea in that eye. Now I would have to get a cornea transplant to see again out of that eye. I have been reluctant to do it because I had sooo many surgeries on that eye that my doctor told me it wasn't worth spending the money on it. But I sure would like to see out of it again.

#13 3 months ago

I can say that LASIK was the best present I could give myself. Not having to deal with contacts and glasses for video games and sports has been amazing. I get to use this gift of improved sight every day and try not to forget how awesome it is that we have this abilities with modern technology.

#14 3 months ago

I had LASIK in January 2006 and it was one of the best things I've ever done. My vision is still awesome.

#15 3 months ago

Thought of getting this done but just don't want to mess with my eyes. I have heard of side effects and losing sight, just don't ever want to think about.

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from Edster:

Thought of getting this done but just don't want to mess with my eyes. I have heard of side effects and losing sight, just don't ever want to think about.

I was the same way. My brother got it done 2 years ago and has been busting my balls ever since to get it done. Then I watched a video on it and was like NOPE!!!

My eyes became intolerant to contacts because of the type I needed for astigmatism. That pushed me to just say screw it and go through with it.

Laying there as they put the eye lid holders in and watching the machine line up the laser is probably the closest thing to getting abducted by aliens as I could imagine. But the whole thing lasted about 30 seconds per each eye. And now that I went through with it I’m so glad.

It’s like flying on a plane the first time. Yeah it’s scary but now you’re at your destination having a blast on vacation.

#17 3 months ago

Been a long time now but had both eyes done in a mobile surgical unit (was in a semi trailer set up in a parking lot that moved from city to city) think he spent about 6 min total on both eyes cost $600 . Long range vision is great but cant read as well and use +1.5 ‘s to read

#18 3 months ago

I had my eyes done 20 years ago. I started wearing glasses in 3rd grade and by the time I had the surgery I could not read the alarm clock on the night stand when I would get up in the morning.

#19 3 months ago

I just picture it being something like A Clockwork Orange...

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from Edster:

I just picture it being something like A Clockwork Orange...

Very Ludovico Technique Lol

Just kidding, there isn’t any brainwashing going on.

0D4FDD90-1168-4126-820C-A5D6441B6FC6.gif
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 36.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
$ 53.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 89.99
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Apparel - Women
Pinball Wheezer
$ 69.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 5.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 48.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside