(Topic ID: 52581)

Laserdome, Manheim, PA -- 5 Brand new pins on-site!

By lordnorth

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Grimes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Took my daughter to a birthday party today at Laserdome in Manheim, PA (On Route 283 between Harrisburg and Lancaster) and to my surprise they had 5 brand new Stern pins in their arcade. www.laserdome.com

They had Transformers, Tron, X-Men, AC/DC, and Avengers machines. All were working 100%. All played extremely strong and fast and were beautiful and clean. What's more, I actually saw an attendant fixing something on one -- not just unplugging it and hanging an out-of-order sign.

Wanted to thank the owner in person, but he wasn't there. Made sure to express my EXTREME pleasure to the manager, though. Hope the word gets back to him. All of the workers there really seemed into them too. It was really weird talking to a bunch of 16-25 year olds and listening to them talk about which pinball is their favorite!

I know I sound like I'm gushing... and I am. I literally have not seen this many nice pins in one place in the wild in twenty years. Awesome!

Oh... and they are set up as ticket dispensers.... So you didn't get any free games, but you did get "tickets" added onto your play card that you could use to shop in the store afterwards. Play a great game for 5 or 10 minutes and end up with 30 tickets or so -- sure beats the hell out of sticking your money into most of the stupid ticket games, "playing" for .8 seconds and getting 2 tickets.

Chris

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Took my daughter to a birthday party today at Laserdome in Manheim, PA (On Route 283 between Harrisburg and Lancaster) and to my surprise they had 5 brand new Stern pins in their arcade. http://www.laserdome.com
    They had Transformers, Tron, X-Men, AC/DC, and Avengers machines. All were working 100%. All played extremely strong and fast and were beautiful and clean. What's more, I actually saw an attendant fixing something on one -- not just unplugging it and hanging an out-of-order sign.
    Wanted to thank the owner in person, but he wasn't there. Made sure to express my EXTREME pleasure to the manager, though. Hope the word gets back to him. All of the workers there really seemed into them too. It was really weird talking to a bunch of 16-25 year olds and listening to them talk about which pinball is their favorite!
    I know I sound like I'm gushing... and I am. I literally have not seen this many nice pins in one place in the wild in twenty years. Awesome!
    Oh... and they are set up as ticket dispensers.... So you didn't get any free games, but you did get "tickets" added onto your play card that you could use to shop in the store afterwards. Play a great game for 5 or 10 minutes and end up with 30 tickets or so -- sure beats the hell out of sticking your money into most of the stupid ticket games, "playing" for .8 seconds and getting 2 tickets.
    Chris

Very nice to hear! I wondered if they had any pins. I live like 15 minutes away! Thanks for sharing!!

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the report - that might be worth the hour or so "road trip" some weekend.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Took my daughter to a birthday party today at Laserdome in Manheim, PA (On Route 283 between Harrisburg and Lancaster) and to my surprise they had 5 brand new Stern pins in their arcade. http://www.laserdome.com
    Chris

Hi Chris - great thanks for the info. My best friend does business with the owner there and he told me these where coming soon so this is awesome to hear. He also mentioned to me they'd be having monthly tournaments there so we'll all have to check that out. I'll definitely be taking my son across the river more often for pinball and laser tag. The last time I was there they removed the T3 pin they had and I was really bummed out. Even though I have Tron and Avengers I'll be looking forward to playing them all. Thanks again for the update.

#5 10 years ago

I know the owner, and passed along this thread to him

#6 10 years ago

One more comment - did you add it to the PinMap ? Alot of us go look there from time to time to see what new locations have cropped up.

#7 10 years ago

Dave -- Wow! You have come a long way quickly. From two machines to five now. Very exciting! I'd love to get a chance to play your Shadow. I keep reading great things about it, but have never even seen one.

You must have been the one they told me about over there. They said that someone used to always come in to play Terminator and told them he was very disappointed when they got rid of it!

brucipher -- Thanks for passing that along to him. I really hope that he sees enough profit to make it worthwhile to keep pins. When you have a card system like they have it must be tough to figure out if people are playing the pins just because they have money to spend, or if they are actually coming there to PLAY pinball. They only really WIN when people decide to spend money BECAUSE of the pins (like I did yesterday). If people are going to spend the money anyway, and *happen* to play the pins just because they are there it ends up being a LOSE for them - they would have gotten the money anyway, but are forced to do the expensive maintenance on the pins.

Penn -- I haven't added it to PinMap. Never tried it before. I will give it a shot right now.

Chris

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Dave -- Wow! You have come a long way quickly. From two machines to five now. Very exciting! I'd love to get a chance to play your Shadow. I keep reading great things about it, but have never even seen one.
    You must have been the one they told me about over there. They said that someone used to always come in to play Terminator and told them he was very disappointed when they got rid of it!
    brucipher -- Thanks for passing that along to him. I really hope that he sees enough profit to make it worthwhile to keep pins. When you have a card system like they have it must be tough to figure out if people are playing the pins just because they have money to spend, or if they are actually coming there to PLAY pinball. They only really WIN when people decide to spend money BECAUSE of the pins (like I did yesterday). If people are going to spend the money anyway, and *happen* to play the pins just because they are there it ends up being a LOSE for them - they would have gotten the money anyway, but are forced to do the expensive maintenance on the pins.
    Penn -- I haven't added it to PinMap. Never tried it before. I will give it a shot right now.
    Chris

Chris - yes my collection has really taken off. I keep meeting people on Pinside and going to shows and places to play and that it's really gotten me back into this great hobby. You'll have to swing by sometime again. A friend of mine is buying my Shadow most likely so I probably won't have it much longer. Though if that doesn't work out I saw you posted something about possibly trading for one so I might be interested but I'd prefer to sell. It has one main issue with the magnet in the sanctum not working well but it plays great outside of that. I'm sure you'd enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out whats wrong with it. I was glad you got the No Fear figured out as that was a big help. I'm finally starting to tinker around with these games myself. I've found I really enjoy the newer Sterns so I'm parting ways with the older pins. Tron, Metallica, and Avengers LE are all fast and great games.

#9 10 years ago

Thank you all for the enthusiasm and support! As a fan of pinball, I am very excited about the rising interest in the game. I'm also very happy to be able to play these 5 brand new pins any time I want to We do all of our maintenance in-house, and I am committed to keeping the games up and running all the time! If you ever experience a problem, even if it's just one switch, please be comfortable to notify our staff. You will actually be helping us get the fix, or new part, as fast as possible. Many times, we will have available technicians to resolve the problem immediately. It's great to hear that you see it fair trade-off to play for tickets instead of free games. I hope the ability to win tickets makes the games more fun for kids, thus passing the pinball torch along to the next generation. Also, to make it more fun for the new players, I have set all of the out lanes pegs to their easiest positions. I am interested in supporting serious players with tournaments, but I do not have any experience there and it would be great if you had any suggestions on how to do it in such a way that it is fun and well organized. Maybe one of you would like to run the first one?

Cheers!
    Karl

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from laserdome:

Thank you all for the enthusiasm and support! As a fan of pinball, I am very excited about the rising interest in the game. I'm also very happy to be able to play these 5 brand new pins any time I want to We do all of our maintenance in-house, and I am committed to keeping the games up and running all the time! If you ever experience a problem, even if it's just one switch, please be comfortable to notify our staff. You will actually be helping us get the fix, or new part, as fast as possible. Many times, we will have available technicians to resolve the problem immediately. It's great to hear that you see it fair trade-off to play for tickets instead of free games. I hope the ability to win tickets makes the games more fun for kids, thus passing the pinball torch along to the next generation. Also, to make it more fun for the new players, I have set all of the out lanes pegs to their easiest positions. I am interested in supporting serious players with tournaments, but I do not have any experience there and it would be great if you had any suggestions on how to do it in such a way that it is fun and well organized. Maybe one of you would like to run the first one?
    Cheers!
    Karl

Hi Karl - I've been visiting Laserdome for 10+ years and I've always enjoyed playing the games there and especially whatever pin you've had. My best friend Chris Flohr who does business with you let me know last month you where getting these new games in. I was really excited to hear that as I'll definitely be visiting more often now to enjoy the new pins. Would be great to see some young kids playing and getting into the hobby. I hope these do well for you and offering tickets to the kids and adjusting the outlane posts to make the games easier should make these more attractive to them as well. I'll ask for you the next time I'm over.

Regards,
    Dave

#11 10 years ago

Karl,

Welcome to the site! Sorry I didn't get to meet you on Saturday, but I am glad that my comments did reach your ears (eyes). I like to believe that someone willing to keep good games onsite will see a return on their investment. Hopefully word will spread and you will get those players that come to spend money BECAUSE you have pinball.

I truly hope that I am proven right!

Chris

#12 10 years ago

Karl,
    Man this is killer thank you so much. Very cool that you have those pins there and are supporting pinball.

1 week later
    #13 10 years ago

I actually am in PA for work right now and drove 30 min to Laserdome. It was great for sure. I was the only one there and all the pins are in great condition. First time I played a lot of those games too. AC/DC was pretty amazing and it was the Pro version. I can't imagine how good the LE is.

2 years later
    #14 8 years ago

Finally gave this place a try, as it is only 20 mins away. They still have the same pins on site, but they are in need of service. A couple of flippers are sticking (ACDC and TRON) and the playfields were pretty dirty. With that said, I still had lots of fun and the pins are very playable.

Wish I could find more places in central PA to play!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laserdome-manheim-pa-5-brand-new-pins-on-site and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.