• 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

laser-war-flyer-front (resized).jpg
rare-factory-topper-for-data-east-laser-war_1_dbe010d9d9de479272ad2833d939e03a (resized).jpg
rare-factory-topper-for-data-east-laser-war_1_dbe010d9d9de479272ad2833d939e03a-1 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 7 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Mod - wanted

Laser War Topper Wanted

Added: 2016-12-26 23:00:00 UTC • Re-listed: 3 times (April 2nd, 2021) • Ended: November 3rd, 2023

Price

Wanted

I know this is a long shot and there's a topic about it but I figured I'd make it official with a wanted ad. I have a super nice Laser War that needs completed.

If you have an original topper, know anyone that does, anyone that did, or have ever seen one or have any idea where to get one, the schematics to build one as per factory spec and/or etc., please contact me. Thanks!

Item photos

rare-factory-topper-for-data-east-laser-war_1_dbe010d9d9de479272ad2833d939e03a (resized).jpg
laser-war-flyer-front (resized).jpg
rare-factory-topper-for-data-east-laser-war_1_dbe010d9d9de479272ad2833d939e03a-1 (resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are sevenrites's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to sevenrites's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

New Buffalo, PA, US

#2 7 years ago

Sorry I don't have a topper and I have a LW , didn't even know there was such a beast. Can I ask what the topper does? Lazer light show?
Good luck in your search. Love me some LW!

#3 7 years ago

From the Worthpoint archive of one that sold in 2007 -

"It has about 40 colored LED's and a motor that spins them.This was not on regular production games due to the cost.The factory flyer shows this topper and described as: 100% interactive with digital music & sounds. A light show so advanced it's patented. Proven attention getter without glaring lights."

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-factory-topper-for-data-east-laser-war

#4 7 years ago

It exists, saw one on a game years!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

A light show so advanced it's patented.

I thought a patent might reveal some more details, but I didn't spot anything.

https://patents.google.com/?assignee=Data+East+Pinball%2c+Inc.&num=50

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

It exists, saw one on a game

Whoa, and you're in Pittsburgh, not far from me! Go Penguins, Pirates & Steelers! - do you have any more details?

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought a patent might reveal some more details

I was thinking the same thing and already ran through those as well today. Joe Kaminkow also has a lot of patents but I didn't see anything prior to 1993 for him.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Sorry I don't have a topper and I have a LW , didn't even know there was such a beast. Can I ask what the topper does? Lazer light show?
Good luck in your search. Love me some LW!

When I talked with Joe Kaminkow about it awhile back, this is all he told me...

"If I recall most early games perhaps 500 had them
They screwed on on top
It was a spinning led board
That looked like a laser light show"

So he thinks there are some out there. They made 2,500 Laser Wars though, so that would mean about 20% had them. You would think someone would have one or at least seen one then, but outside of the original flyer and that auction post from 2007, I have never seen or heard of one.

#8 7 years ago

I have looked for years, I too had not seen one. Always thought it would be neat to get Sterns permission to make something similar.. If you could find one to document it.. Which is why I question if these ever made it on a bunch of production games . I have looked at the top of 8-9 games and not seen any evidence of them being installed

At expo about 5 years ago, another collector explained it to me as a "light brite with a spinning wheel like black hole", who knows how accurate that is, would love to see detailed pics of one.!!!!

#9 7 years ago

Too-many-pins is going to pull one out of his warehouse haul for me, I can almost smell the moldy box it's sitting in. But we still need more than one of these and the warehouse haul hasn't happened yet so I'm still hunting everywhere else.

#10 7 years ago

So you actually found a topper??

#11 7 years ago

Lol, no, sorry for the confusion. I haven't found one yet, too-many-pins hasn't unearthed one in his warehouse find yet either so I'm creatively visualizing it happening.

#12 7 years ago

Doh! I don't have a LW nor plan on getting one, but I have been following this and hoping for you guys! GL

#13 7 years ago

It's proven to be an elusive part of pinball history. But at least one person said they've seen one in person, Joe Kaminkow said he thought 500 went out during production, and other reports say only 10 were produced. It's an interesting quest for sure. I must have it.

2 months later
#15 7 years ago

I read in another thread (maybe posted by you? I can't remember) that the inner portion of the device was in a square box made by another company, and the outer slanted plastic was just stuck on top of it.

Any luck finding out who made it?

#16 7 years ago

Nothing, no luck at all. I've searched so many different ways through patents + etc. hoping to find a drawling, schematic, details or whatever and haven't found anything yet. It's out there somewhere. Someone knows something.

#17 7 years ago

Haven't seen one in Europe as well. I think the 500 number is incorrect. 10 sounds more realistic. With 500 there should surface more toppers i think.

#18 7 years ago

I have only seen one game with the topper in 30 years. It was a factory sample, most definitely not a production game. If DE made 500, I am impressed because that means a lot of operators threw them out. I seriously doubt it, and there is nobody left at modern Stern who would remember.

The outer casing was a very cheap black plastic like a Tupperware container with a see through window with pop rivets.
Much more brittle than the Dr Who dome, but more durable than a TFTC topper.

It might be much easier to make your own using the specs from Joe. He is generally helpful.

You might be underwhelmed on what it looks like and does for effects. It looked a little wonky. They were not modern LED lighting. It is like those old fiber optic fountain lamps your grandmother had when you were a kid, not particularly bright. It spins in vertical disco circle while you play. Distracting, but does shut off during attract mode. I wanted to throw a blanket over it.

I have no memory of how it was wired, what potential lighting it was tied, or any special programming involved, if any.

4 years later
#19 3 years ago

I have one I'm building, on the back burner at the moment.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-topper-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.