2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Shogun00
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rmedine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a Laser War game from Data East that plays amazingly well, with the exception of one thing. Whenever I get two of the balls into the “bases” during play and I enter 3 ball multiball play, the machine ejects the 3rd ball into the shooting lane but then it keeps trying to eject additional balls into the lane (which there aren’t any so it’s just a really loud sound that doesn’t stop). The only way that I’ve found to stop it is to turn the game off and back on. Any thoughts on where to look to troubleshoot? I’m a new pinball machine owner and don’t know where to start.

Thanks!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Remove the balls from the machine and go to the Active Switches section in CPU diagnostics.
Most likely you have a ball through switch stucked closed.
I had the same exact problem on my Robocop. It's a very simple fix. You just need to adjust the metal leaf on the suspect micro switch.

Thanks for the help! I checked that and unfortunately when all balls were removed it does not indicate any switches are active. It’s also hard to know exactly what going on as it enters 3-ball play since there is no way that I know of to see what’s going on with switches during a certain moment in play. Could it be that something is throwing the switch off only when there are no balls in the trough? I’m stumped. Thanks!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

It's possible that it only occasionally sticks. It's also possible that one of the switches isn't springing up fast enough.
Try inserting the balls in one at a time into the through in a regular switch test. You can also manually eject the balls out, since the through kicked is disabled during a switch test and see if the switches turn off after they eject.
On my Robocop, the issue would only occasionally occur, but over time it gradually got worse. In the end, it turned out that Through Switch #3 (the one at the kicker) was sticking down at times from the bent leaf.

Thanks for the tip on ejecting the balls manually! I’m going to try this and see if that reveals anything. Will report back.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

It's possible that it only occasionally sticks. It's also possible that one of the switches isn't springing up fast enough.
Try inserting the balls in one at a time into the through in a regular switch test. You can also manually eject the balls out, since the through kicker is disabled during a switch test and see if the switches turn off after they eject.
On my Robocop, the issue would only occasionally occur, but over time it gradually got worse. In the end, it turned out that Through Switch #3 (the one at the kicker) was sticking down at times due to a bent out leaf on the microswitch.

Manually ejecting the balls during an Active switch test helped reveal that the Trough #1 switch was working fine when there were multiple balls in the trough (I think because the pressure from the other balls) but not when the only one ball remained in the trough. Also when looking at the switch trigger from below, I could see that the mechanism that ejects the balls was getting stuck against the trigger for switch #1 as well. With a few adjustments and tightening a couple of screws it’s working as expected again. Thank you!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rmedine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-keeps-trying-to-eject-balls-during-3-ball-play?tu=rmedine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.