IMG_7103 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7101 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7091 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7100 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7098 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7101 (resized).jpeg
20230529_082753 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 8 years ago

I figured I'd chime in here now that I finally got around to taking a few pics of my Laser War. I absolutely love this game. I haven't touched anything on it yet, LED's really do make these look awesome but mine is so fresh, new and clean feeling I've decided to keep it all original for now.

Quoted from woody24:

But looks like if you wanted to take out the ramp, you have to lift the playfield out of the cabinet. I tried to remove the ramp, and it doesn't come out when its in the cabinet.

I had to remove my ramp to put in a new yellow flasher in the upper right corner of the ramp. Took me a minute to figure it out but it goes like this - remove the wireframe ball return from the ion cannon ramp - it just pulls straight down towards the flippers out of the ramp once the nuts are off. Then on the right side of the ramp, to the left of the yellow base lane, there's 2 screws on a black metal frame piece holding the ramp you can get to. Take those out, and then under the little flap at the ramp entrance, there's a 3rd screw. Remove that and the ramp should come out easy without removing the playfield.

laser-war-inner-coin-door_(resized).jpglaser-war-inner-coin-door_(resized).jpg

laser-war-bumpers-dim_(resized).jpglaser-war-bumpers-dim_(resized).jpg

laser-war-above-playfield-with-glass_(resized).jpglaser-war-above-playfield-with-glass_(resized).jpg

laser-war-inside-coin-door_(resized).jpglaser-war-inside-coin-door_(resized).jpg

laser-war-inside-front-cabinet_(resized).jpglaser-war-inside-front-cabinet_(resized).jpg

laser-war-inside-rear-cabinet_(resized).jpglaser-war-inside-rear-cabinet_(resized).jpg

laser-war-ion-cannon-ramp_(resized).jpglaser-war-ion-cannon-ramp_(resized).jpg

laser-war-under-playfield_(resized).jpglaser-war-under-playfield_(resized).jpg

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I actually meant the launcher wireform that loops around behind the playfield. Were you able to get that out without taking out the playfield?

The wireform that loops around the back, I have not yet touched. I was behind it to do a flasher but that's it. This game was so clean when I got it, I did not feel the need to tear it down. I didn't even want to put my hands on a bulb socket without wearing white gloves. It was very well cared for its entire life.

3 weeks later
#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

spend some time figuring out how to remake the OEM topper

Yes, please! Someone out there has one. I'd prefer an original but a well done remake to spec would serve the purpose. I can't even find schematics / blueprints on it. Gary Stern could probably help, but he's probably too busy with the new Stern & I suspect he could care less about the games that got them to this point even though there's a huge potential market wanting access to some coveted Data East and Sega pinball archives and history he probably holds the keys to.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

This OEM topper on flyer?

Yep, the OEM one in the flyer is what I'm after.

1 week later
#97 8 years ago

Harvs, please share pics of your minty one when you get it... I consider mine minty as well and think I already shared a few pics. I'm actively trying to find a nicer example just to see how mine compares.

Quoted from LesManley:

I have a couple brand new ramp flaps from Cliffy

The cliffy ramp flaps look good, his products usually seem to be better quality and durability than OEM.

Quoted from Harvs:

Made the pop stickers.

Quoted from Harvs:

and 'intercooled' stickers

The stickers look great too. I don't need anything on my game at all, if I did I'd hit you up. It's good to know someone is taking care of these things though!

My biggest concern is I'm afraid to break the original chrome ramp. I have to keep my game raised pretty high in the back to weaken the flipper impact. I'm tempted to buy the black ramp and put it on and save the chrome one. But my Laser War has virtually never been apart, all factory stock still. It's probably had less than 1200 plays ever.

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

minty Laser War AND a minty Time Machine! Just need a Secret Service now to complete the trio!

Been dreaming of a day when I could put all 3 together myself...

3 weeks later
#104 8 years ago

I'm still wondering who is sitting on a topper, and what the price is. Someone out there has one... Someone on Pinside knows about one... It's out there. I want it.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I should have kept my laser war!

I didn't want to be telling myself that, so I've managed to keep it even after several very nice offers. I couldn't even let myself put LED's in it, it's so fresh and new feeling still.

Now where's that darn topper hiding at?

laser-war-above-playfield-with-glass_(resized).jpglaser-war-above-playfield-with-glass_(resized).jpg

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Interesting. You've got a center drain post.

Good catch. I'm not sure what the story is on that. I never realized most of them seem to not have one. The one I have is an HUO from a private collection a coin op had via a family member.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
5 months later
#138 7 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

nyone else's red-base go stdm all the dang time?

I'm assuming you're completely level and have the right pitch here. Mine usually hits the right flipper and I did not have to adjust the guide. I do have my pitch a little steep though because I don't want to break anything since mine is so fresh and new.

I just flipped the score 2x last week and finally hit 25,000,000+. I wasn't able to save my initials on high score because the game code thinks it was 5 mil+.

It would be cool to see more activity on the score board.

4 weeks later
#143 7 years ago

Stern Pinball at The Westin Chicago North Shore
Friday, October 14

"Something you don't see everyday, Joe Kaminkow playing Data East Laser War, the game he designed, and the first in our companies 30 year history. #SternPinball"

14717317_10154595066689244_4541990729986642584_n (resized).jpg14717317_10154595066689244_4541990729986642584_n (resized).jpg

2 months later
#148 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Very nice machine!

Thank you, very much. I'm certainly very proud of this specimen, however yours looks quite immaculate as well!

Quoted from frankmac:

"Laser Wars" is back!
11 months ago I regrettably sold this game .
Today I picked up a gem 20 miles from my home. Wow!!!!!!
It is a happy new year!!!!

Welcome back into the club! Congratulations are definitely in order! Such a great, significantly historical piece of pinball history! Imagine if Data East would have flopped and not went on to become Sega or Stern, would anyone still be making pins still today?

P.S. - looks like we are both very deserving of the elusive and infamous topper...

1 week later
#152 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I would love to have that topper!

Yeah, it's been very difficult to obtain. I've been hunting it for over a year now, and usually check around at least once a week. I have not seen an Ion Cannon plastic anywhere lately but I'm keeping my eyes open for you.

3 weeks later
#160 7 years ago

It would be sweet to have a lower price point chrome replacement ramp because all I can find is the black one and I'd like to keep my original chrome one pristine.

5 years later
#387 2 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

I’m looking for the ramp

I’ve never seen a chrome ramp available but that’s what’s in my game also. A black ramp comes up on eBay from time to time but the person selling them has allegedly ripped this community off on occasion.

Anyone know if there was a process to make those ramps chrome looking, did they all start out black?

I have a translite in my backglass.

11 months later
#429 1 year ago
Quoted from rmedine:

I've checked and double checked all of the trough switches and all three seem to be triggering fine.

When you checked these, did you do it with the playfield in normal position and drop balls in there one at a time? I’m thinking one of the switch arms might not be depressing far enough with a ball on it, but enough when pressed by hand to register.

1 month later
#440 1 year ago
Quoted from WilhelmRyanIV:

does anybody know where else I can start troubleshooting?

I'm not an expert, but if you took coils out that had diodes, the replacements should probably also have diodes. If the ones you took out didn't have diodes, then the ones you put in shouldn't need them either. This is what I'd check first based on the information you provided.

I believe the Data East Laser War coils have diodes on them. I've seen some Williams 11630 coils come with diodes, and some without. I guess it depends where you order from.

If this is what happened, you should be able to move the diodes to the new coils, but be certain you have them oriented the right direction and make sure you have them soldered to the corresponding lugs on the new coil.

#443 1 year ago

Are you sure the Data East coils each had 2 diodes? I thought there was only one on each of them.

And does it make a difference if there are now 2 diodes per coil? Do the 2 equal what the one used to? And the 2 of them are joined together on the center lug, and not just one diode across the two outer lugs, so does that make a difference?

Someone with more electronics knowledge and better understanding of these things would be more helpful than me. I'm just noting what I'm observing that appears to be different than what you started with.

If it wasn't such a pain in the ass I'd suggest putting the old coils back in and see if you still have the problem. Then you know for sure it's something with the new coils and/or their diode(s) and positions. But there's likely a better and easier way to figure this out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-club?tu=sevenrites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.