IMG_7103 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7101 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7091 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7100 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7098 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7101 (resized).jpeg
20230529_082753 (resized).jpg
There are 480 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 8 years ago

Very nice. I highly recommend color LEDs for this game, for the inserts at least.

#52 8 years ago

What are some serial numbers and build dates people have on their games? It says on the info page that the game was made in 1987-88, but mine has a build date of 1990 on it.

#53 8 years ago

I've recently started with the creation of Tech Charts for Data East games.
Laser War is the first in the list.
It is much like the Williams System 11 games, but names for the various connectors are changed.
Also the transistor designations are different than the Williams System.

Can you guys help me with checking the file for mistakes?
Here is a copy of the file for you to look at.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

Data_East_Laser_War_Tech_Chart.pdfData_East_Laser_War_Tech_Chart.pdf

#54 8 years ago

Can anybody decipher all the call-outs in this game?

#55 8 years ago

Welcome warrior, energizing, Fire and return to blue/red/yellow, return to base, laser war, explosion, last ball good luck, and shoot the ion cannon...plus laughing. I think that covers the sound call-outs.

#56 8 years ago

This one @ the 2:14 mark?

2 weeks later
#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

This one @ the 2:14 mark?

That would be "Medic Hit!"

#58 8 years ago

I always thought it was "damn I'm hit!"......

3 weeks later
#59 8 years ago

I just recently set up my lazer war and am having trouble with airballs when the left ramp is shot. My flippers are pretty strong and have thought about enclosing the area in plastic but am looking for easier suggestions. thanks

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from out_of_order:

I just recently set up my lazer war and am having trouble with airballs when the left ramp is shot. My flippers are pretty strong and have thought about enclosing the area in plastic but am looking for easier suggestions. thanks

How's it airballing? Just by going up the ramp? Or hitting one of the posts at the entrance of the ramp?

#61 8 years ago

Yes, up the ramp.
I am thinking of putting plexiglass there, but it may not look to good.

#62 8 years ago

Yes, up the ramp.
I am thinking of putting plexiglass there, but it may not look to good.

Sounds like you might have incorrect coils. I had strong ones that would give me lots of air balls. Put in the proper coils, and flippers were still strong, but no more air balls.

#63 8 years ago

If anyone is looking or knows someone who is looking for a Laser War, I am going to be selling mine. It's in excellent physical shape, including the playfield and I have extra NOS parts for it like the ramp and spinner decals and manual. All displays work and it boots up and goes into attract mode, but I can't start up a game or get into test mode. Borygard fixed the main board so I don't think it is a board issue. I am getting a new game and one has to leave so one can come in so this one is on the chopping block. I'm asking $650 for it.

#64 8 years ago

thanks, i wll check out what coils are in there. Do you know what size coils you have in your LW ?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

I always thought it was "damn I'm hit!"......

That is what I have always heard.

#66 8 years ago

thanks, i wll check out what coils are in there. Do you know what size coils you have in your LW ?

I'll have to check. I don't have it anymore, but I remember some printed material had the incorrect coils listed. I'm still in contact with the guy that bought mine, so I'll find out in the next day or so for you.

#67 8 years ago

The coils in mine are "black beast" 0409-33 0905000-00
I think those came from the factory on mine

#68 8 years ago

The coils in mine are "black beast" 0409-33 0905000-00
I think those came from the factory on mine

Sounds right. Here's what I installed when my flippers died. The new ones are FL-11630.

image000000_2_(resized).jpgimage000000_2_(resized).jpg

#69 8 years ago

Is that the same strength coil ? I looked at Marco and they have a 22-750 as a replacement
I think a weaker coil would solve this problem.

#70 8 years ago

Is that the same strength coil ? I looked at Marco and they have a 22-750 as a replacement
I think a weaker coil would solve this problem.

I need to check the printed materials, as I know Laser War did have different coils listed at one point. This chart may help: http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html

But the FL's were of equal strength, and work fine.

1 week later
#71 8 years ago

Happy to join this club! LW has always been one my favorite.
I am in the process of restoring mine (I had 2 examples few months ago, kept the best of the pair then sold one).

Mylar removed, touch ups + clear coat with spraymax 2K.
Lot of work under and top of playfield, almost done but now waiting for a LED order from comet.

About the flippers coils: I strongly suggest to not replace with the original DE coils, too strong!!! Will cause damage and air balls!! I've owned it for 2-3 years now, the Williams FL11630 are perfect for the game, I would suggest to add the 2.2Kohm capacitors for the EOS.

I also have on hands: NOS chromed ramp, NOS plastics (back panel already installed on the pics with colored flasher domes).

IMG_0912_(resized).JPGIMG_0912_(resized).JPG

IMG_0916_(resized).JPGIMG_0916_(resized).JPG

#72 8 years ago

Pics before touch-ups, Ion cannon and flipper decals

LW_decals_collage_(resized).jpgLW_decals_collage_(resized).jpg

IMG_0473_(resized).JPGIMG_0473_(resized).JPG

IMG_0505_(resized).JPGIMG_0505_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#73 8 years ago

I figured I'd chime in here now that I finally got around to taking a few pics of my Laser War. I absolutely love this game. I haven't touched anything on it yet, LED's really do make these look awesome but mine is so fresh, new and clean feeling I've decided to keep it all original for now.

Quoted from woody24:

But looks like if you wanted to take out the ramp, you have to lift the playfield out of the cabinet. I tried to remove the ramp, and it doesn't come out when its in the cabinet.

I had to remove my ramp to put in a new yellow flasher in the upper right corner of the ramp. Took me a minute to figure it out but it goes like this - remove the wireframe ball return from the ion cannon ramp - it just pulls straight down towards the flippers out of the ramp once the nuts are off. Then on the right side of the ramp, to the left of the yellow base lane, there's 2 screws on a black metal frame piece holding the ramp you can get to. Take those out, and then under the little flap at the ramp entrance, there's a 3rd screw. Remove that and the ramp should come out easy without removing the playfield.

laser-war-inner-coin-door_(resized).jpglaser-war-inner-coin-door_(resized).jpg

laser-war-bumpers-dim_(resized).jpglaser-war-bumpers-dim_(resized).jpg

laser-war-above-playfield-with-glass_(resized).jpglaser-war-above-playfield-with-glass_(resized).jpg

laser-war-inside-coin-door_(resized).jpglaser-war-inside-coin-door_(resized).jpg

laser-war-inside-front-cabinet_(resized).jpglaser-war-inside-front-cabinet_(resized).jpg

laser-war-inside-rear-cabinet_(resized).jpglaser-war-inside-rear-cabinet_(resized).jpg

laser-war-ion-cannon-ramp_(resized).jpglaser-war-ion-cannon-ramp_(resized).jpg

laser-war-under-playfield_(resized).jpglaser-war-under-playfield_(resized).jpg

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I had to remove my ramp to put in a new yellow flasher in the upper right corner of the ramp. Took me a minute to figure it out but it goes like this - remove the wireframe ball return from the ion cannon ramp - it just pulls straight down towards the flippers out of the ramp once the nuts are off. Then on the right side of the ramp, to the left of the yellow base lane, there's 2 screws on a black metal frame piece holding the ramp you can get to. Take those out, and then under the little flap at the ramp entrance, there's a 3rd screw. Remove that and the ramp should come out easy without removing the playfield.

Very nice. Very clean. Kinda wish I still had mine to play with. But happy with my JP.

I think I misspoke with the ramp. I actually meant the launcher wireform that loops around behind the playfield. Were you able to get that out without taking out the playfield?

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I actually meant the launcher wireform that loops around behind the playfield. Were you able to get that out without taking out the playfield?

The wireform that loops around the back, I have not yet touched. I was behind it to do a flasher but that's it. This game was so clean when I got it, I did not feel the need to tear it down. I didn't even want to put my hands on a bulb socket without wearing white gloves. It was very well cared for its entire life.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#76 8 years ago

Friend of mine has a LW, he says the red base take a long time to kick the ball out of the saucer. Any insight into what he needs to repair or adjust?

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Friend of mine has a LW, he says the red base take a long time to kick the ball out of the saucer. Any insight into what he needs to repair or adjust?

when I shopped mine out, that kickout seems to attract a lot of crap, wax, dirt etc, my switch was dirty as hell, thats my guess, also, an led, acorn nut, etc that falls in that kickout could be preventing the ball from sitting in there flush....

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

when I shopped mine out, that kickout seems to attract a lot of crap, wax, dirt etc, my switch was dirty as hell, thats my guess, also, an led, acorn nut, etc that falls in that kickout could be preventing the ball from sitting in there flush....

cool, thanks. ill pass that along.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Probably the sensitivity of the switch in the saucer. That's my old machine isn't it? I worked on that switch once, and thought I got it figured out. Couple things I would try. Make sure there's no oxidation between contacts. Take a thin piece of cardboard, or textured business card and rub between the contacts. Then maybe tighten the spacing between the gap of the leaf switch.

Just a slight nudge would get it to see the ball when it acted up for me. So that just told me that the contact is so close to working. Some minor tweaks should better fix it.

#80 8 years ago

Just joined the Club! This game is awesome. I can't tell if it's really hard, or my pin-guy app is mis-calibrated, will figure that out later. Woody, I picked it up from ft. wayne and was trying to figure out if it was the one you sold on here a while back.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Probably the sensitivity of the switch in the saucer. That's my old machine isn't it? I worked on that switch once, and thought I got it figured out. Couple things I would try. Make sure there's no oxidation between contacts. Take a thin piece of cardboard, or textured business card and rub between the contacts. Then maybe tighten the spacing between the gap of the leaf switch.
Just a slight nudge would get it to see the ball when it acted up for me. So that just told me that the contact is so close to working. Some minor tweaks should better fix it.

Indeed it is your machine. I will pass this along as well.

#82 8 years ago

I had never even seen this pin before INDISC / Arcade Expo, and now it's on my list of "gotta buy someday"! It's so much fun! But to hell with that left outlane.

Data East really made some great machines (but not Torpedo Alley. Eff that game in its face)!

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I had never even seen this pin before INDISC / Arcade Expo, and now it's on my list of "gotta buy someday"! It's so much fun! But to hell with that left outlane.
Data East really made some great machines (but not Torpedo Alley. Eff that game in its face)!

Disagree. Torpedo Alley has an a very unique design, and some great long shots. Plus the translite is all kinds of nice.

#84 8 years ago

And I'm IN! Very fun machine to say the least.. So much fun that I haven't done my usual shop right when I get a pin, Laser War can not have down time.. - Everybody should own 2!

Now to find a promo plastic for the key chain, and spend some time figuring out how to remake the OEM topper.

IMG_0591_(resized).JPGIMG_0591_(resized).JPG

IMG_0642_(2)_(resized).JPGIMG_0642_(2)_(resized).JPG

IMG_0658_(resized).JPGIMG_0658_(resized).JPG

#85 8 years ago

Looking for some Laser War Plastics and ramp... Anyone????

Thanks
Dan

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#86 8 years ago

Have these.. Plastics are a bit yellowed and ramp has a patch job on the lower left entry. Got a bag of stuff from the gent that sold me the machine.

PM if interested.

IMG_0675_(resized).JPGIMG_0675_(resized).JPG

IMG_0676_(resized).JPGIMG_0676_(resized).JPG

#88 8 years ago

Thanks to Harvs for hooking me up with everything on my wish list!

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Thanks to Harvs for hooking me up with everything on my wish list!

Anything for a Laser War owner!

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

spend some time figuring out how to remake the OEM topper

Yes, please! Someone out there has one. I'd prefer an original but a well done remake to spec would serve the purpose. I can't even find schematics / blueprints on it. Gary Stern could probably help, but he's probably too busy with the new Stern & I suspect he could care less about the games that got them to this point even though there's a huge potential market wanting access to some coveted Data East and Sega pinball archives and history he probably holds the keys to.

#91 8 years ago

This OEM topper on flyer? Or one in photo above...

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#92 8 years ago

I didn't have it for very long but I loved the lights on it. The opportunity to get a newer Stern came up and I had to make some sacrifices.
Hoping to get another one day.

FB_IMG_1456732914377.jpgFB_IMG_1456732914377.jpg

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

This OEM topper on flyer?

Yep, the OEM one in the flyer is what I'm after.

#94 8 years ago

I have an idea on what the topper did.., that's the easy part. Molding the topper itself is what I have to figure out. For now I just have a Laser War plexi that I made, better than nothing (I think). I will also be making the pops, spins and flipper 'intercooled' decals in chrome/red, like OEM.

And don't tell anyone.., but I just committed to buying another Laser War in Minty condition. My goal is to fill my game room with only Laser War pins. Ha!

IMG_0679_(resized).JPGIMG_0679_(resized).JPG

IMG_0681_(resized).JPGIMG_0681_(resized).JPG

IMG_0684_(resized).JPGIMG_0684_(resized).JPG

IMG_0686_(resized).JPGIMG_0686_(resized).JPG

#95 8 years ago

Made the pop stickers. They are chrome and have the head cutout vs the head being red, bulb light shines through nicely (I put white under the pop to diffuse my LED, but looks good both ways). I can have these made if anyone wants them.

Also have the cheesy adhesive topper print and 'intercooled' stickers in white font or black font for the flips.

PM me if interested.

IMG_0742_(resized).JPGIMG_0742_(resized).JPG

IMG_0748_(resized).JPGIMG_0748_(resized).JPG

IMG_0750_(resized).JPGIMG_0750_(resized).JPG

IMG_0751_(resized).JPGIMG_0751_(resized).JPG

IMG_0752_(resized).JPGIMG_0752_(resized).JPG

IMG_0758_(resized).JPGIMG_0758_(resized).JPG

IMG_0681_(resized).JPGIMG_0681_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

I have an idea on what the topper did.., that's the easy part. Molding the topper itself is what I have to figure out. For now I just have a Laser War plexi that I made, better than nothing (I think). I will also be making the pops, spins and flipper 'intercooled' decals in chrome/red, like OEM.
And don't tell anyone.., but I just committed to buying another Laser War in Minty condition. My goal is to fill my game room with only Laser War pins. Ha!

Your next Laser War is on it's way to you now! She will be missed. I threw two of the custom Laser War keychains I had made for it in as well, one for both your games.

Also, I forgot I had these. I have a couple brand new ramp flaps from Cliffy that were custom made by him using my original ramp flap as a mold. I sold my game, so I don't need them anymore. They both are brand new, never used, with the protective plastic film still on each of them. If anyone wants them, I'd do $15 shipped each. Let me know.

!!2_(resized).jpg!!2_(resized).jpg

#97 8 years ago

Harvs, please share pics of your minty one when you get it... I consider mine minty as well and think I already shared a few pics. I'm actively trying to find a nicer example just to see how mine compares.

Quoted from LesManley:

I have a couple brand new ramp flaps from Cliffy

The cliffy ramp flaps look good, his products usually seem to be better quality and durability than OEM.

Quoted from Harvs:

Made the pop stickers.

Quoted from Harvs:

and 'intercooled' stickers

The stickers look great too. I don't need anything on my game at all, if I did I'd hit you up. It's good to know someone is taking care of these things though!

My biggest concern is I'm afraid to break the original chrome ramp. I have to keep my game raised pretty high in the back to weaken the flipper impact. I'm tempted to buy the black ramp and put it on and save the chrome one. But my Laser War has virtually never been apart, all factory stock still. It's probably had less than 1200 plays ever.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Your next Laser War is on it's way to you now! She will be missed. I threw two of the custom Laser War keychains I had made for it in as well, one for both your games.
Also, I forgot I had these. I have a couple brand new ramp flaps from Cliffy that were custom made by him using my original ramp flap as a mold. I sold my game, so I don't need them anymore. They both are brand new, never used, with the protective plastic film still on each of them. If anyone wants them, I'd do $15 shipped each. Let me know.

!!2_(resized).jpg

Yep, gonna be heading out shortly to grab that minty Laser War AND a minty Time Machine! Just need a Secret Service now to complete the trio!

Thanks!

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Harvs, please share pics of your minty one when you get it... I consider mine minty as well and think I already shared a few pics. I'm actively trying to find a nicer example just to see how mine compares.

The cliffy ramp flaps look good, his products usually seem to be better quality and durability than OEM.

The stickers look great too. I don't need anything on my game at all, if I did I'd hit you up. It's good to know someone is taking care of these things though!
My biggest concern is I'm afraid to break the original chrome ramp. I have to keep my game raised pretty high in the back to weaken the flipper impact. I'm tempted to buy the black ramp and put it on and save the chrome one. But my Laser War has virtually never been apart, all factory stock still. It's probably had less than 1200 plays ever.

Will take some pics once its home and in the game room. Thanks!

I did put the FL11630 coils on the one I have now.., less air balls etc. Might want to give it a try and see if you like the feel.

* I posted this yesterday. Could anyone answer if some of the flasher resistors get hot while in attract? I guess I'll have my 2nd one home at about 5pm today, so can find out later.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flasher-resistors-some-hot-some-not-in-attract-mode

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Will take some pics once its home and in the game room. Thanks!
I did put the FL11630 coils on the one I have now.., less air balls etc. Might want to give it a try and see if you like the feel.
* I posted this yesterday. Could anyone answer if some of the flasher resistors get hot while in attract? I guess I'll have my 2nd one home at about 5pm today, so can find out later.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flasher-resistors-some-hot-some-not-in-attract-mode

To get the full of fact you're going to want to clean it up a little first. I never did shop it so it still has all the original rubber on it and it's a little dusty. Playfield is amazing though I couldn't believe it again last night when I looked at it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 480 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.