New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 266584)

Laser War burnt MPU

By tdpin

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by ChrisHibler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200416_212659 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

My Laser War was working fine and sat for a while. I fired it up and though I can hear the speech and start a game, I noticed none of the coils were firing and the music was barely audible with the volume even at high. I took a look at the boards and noticed the right top corner and a bit below had areas that were fried. I attached pics and am wondering what some thoughts are on having it repaired vs. going with a Rotten Dog mpu. Thanks.

20200416_212659 (resized).jpg
#2 6 months ago
Quoted from tdpin:

My Laser War was working fine and sat for a while. I fired it up and though I can hear the speech and start a game, I noticed none of the coils were firing and the music was barely audible with the volume even at high. I took a look at the boards and noticed the right top corner and a bit below had areas that were fried. I attached pics and am wondering what some thoughts are on having it repaired vs. going with a Rotten Dog mpu. Thanks.[quoted image]

I'm not sure if they are interchangeable but I do know there was an early and late MPU for Laser War, double check before ordering.

#3 6 months ago

I'm fairly sure that RD supports LW, but again, check the RD page.
I don't think that is "fried". I think that is just poor rework. It looks like solder flux wasn't cleaned properly. Those two 7402s are in the special solenoid circuit and wouldn't have anything to do with anything else in the game except the pops and slings.

Test the voltages coming out of your Power Supply.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 22.50
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
€ 18.95
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 28.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 73.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside