• Latest reply 6 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170928_174921 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I finally made the move today to convert my Laser War backbox to LED lights. When I got the game, most of the bulbs were out and I just left them knowing I'd be ultimately changing them to LED anyway.

So fast forward to today, I swap my bulbs and a whole section of the backbox GI is out. It looks like it's all powered from the w/g wire on the GI connector. Now, here's where it gets "fun".

At some point the connector looks like it broke, and the previous owner had soldered the wire directly to the pin and it had come loose. A lazy solution yes, but it should work (right?). So I solder it back to the pin until I can get a new connector and still no GI...hm. I have voltage somehow at the lamps but they aren't lighting up like the others on the white/brown wire. All fuses are good and I have continuity all through the lamps.

I tested continuity from the pin/wire and don't get anything, but I'm getting voltage at the lamps and continuity to them from the white/brown wire to the other section of the backbox GI, so that's interesting too...

There's a connector between the power supply and the backbox GI, so that's my suspicion as to where I'm losing the connection, since I have continuity from the backbox end of that connector to the lamps, but not all the way through from the board.

Anything else I should be looking at here until I can figure out what connectors I need and replace them? I'm at a loss.

20170928_174921 (resized).jpg20170928_174921 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I repinned the connector CN8 and now have continuity from the connector to the lamps through the white/green wire, but still no lamps coming on. I think I'm measuring wrong, but I have .5 to .6 volts D.C. at the working (white brown wire) and non working lamps (white green wire). When I measure AC I get nothing at any lamps but I'm likely doing it wrong.

In any event, I'm not sure what else is in the circuit that I'd need to check besides the fuses...anyone have any suggestions here? It looks like the only other piece in the schematic is a relay, but admittedly I was having a hard time following it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-backbox-gi-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.