You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220504_185449 (resized).jpg
20220504_185454 (resized).jpg
20220504_190159 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I just bought a laser war with special solenoid issues. The pop bumpers and the slingshots do not work. It has a new Rottendog cpu board in it. I sent the board to a repair shop and they say there is nothing wrong with it. I did the test to check the board by removing cn18 and grounding the pins with an alligator clip and the coils all fired. I tested the smig board under the playfield and that also tested good. Does anyone have any other ways to check them or have an idea where the problem may be? Thanks Bill

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from willie0912:

I just bought a laser war with special solenoid issues. The pop bumpers and the slingshots do not work. It has a new Rottendog cpu board in it. I sent the board to a repair shop and they say there is nothing wrong with it. I did the test to check the board by removing cn18 and grounding the pins with an alligator clip and the coils all fired. I tested the smig board under the playfield and that also tested good. Does anyone have any other ways to check them or have an idea where the problem may be? Thanks Bill

If you can fire the coils and slings by tapping the mpu drivers to a ground you have eliminated the coils, power and wiring.

Are the pop and sling switches being seen by the mpu in switch test mode?

#3 1 year ago

I'll have to check that. I have not yet done that. I'll get back to you after I check it. Thanks

#4 1 year ago

In active switch test I tested the majority of the switches and they showed good. The pop bumper and the sling shots did not register. I guess the mpu is not seeing them. Could it be the white ground that is common to both of them is broken somewhere?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from willie0912:

In active switch test I tested the majority of the switches and they showed good. The pop bumper and the sling shots did not register. I guess the mpu is not seeing them. Could it be the white ground that is common to both of them is broken somewhere?

Before you go any further, make sure you have 32 volts at the popper and sling coils.

20220504_190159 (resized).jpg20220504_190159 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

Yes I do have 32 volts at the coils.

#7 1 year ago

About the switches, I meant to say they all check good except the sling shot and Pop bumpers.

#8 1 year ago

Here are two pictures from mine so you can compare connectors.

20220504_185449 (resized).jpg20220504_185449 (resized).jpg20220504_185454 (resized).jpg20220504_185454 (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from willie0912:

About the switches, I meant to say they all check good except the sling shot and Pop bumpers.

I'm fuzzy (and not at home) but the switches that show up for the switch matrix MAY only be an indicator switch showing the pop or sling has fired.

The first gen DE games the MPU had no control over the slings or pops, they had their own switch matrix if you will. I want to say CN18 and CN6. CN6 is a ground path, white wire. Make sure you have continuity to ground on that white wire.

If you tap one of the CN18 wires to a good ground with the game in game mode it should fire the coil.

CN18 #2 is org/blk and if you tap it to ground should fire the blue pop bumper.

Be aware there is an additional connector (4M/F2) some where in the chain for the pops and slings, all 5 of the switch wires and ground go through it and it could simply be unplugged.

#10 1 year ago

I found the problem. Connector 4m/F2 was corroded and there is another connector 2F/M2 that is in-between 4M/F2 and the power supply that was also corroded. It was the white ground wire that is common to all the pops and slings that was giving all the problems. Thank you for all the input, it headed me in the right direction to find the problem. Bill

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.