Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gov
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have had Laser War for about four years. Last year a circuit board started smoking when I turned the game on, so, it needed repairs. A knowledgable individual on pinball machines worked on it, off and on, for most of a year untill he got it working again. Now the only complaint I have is that the machine does not seem to want to save settings changes I make, even though I follow through the entire menu options to set the changes (such as free vend and three balls per game). As soon as I turn it off/on, the changes are gone. Am I doing something wrong, is there a battery to replace like on pc's, is this something I will have to live with? Any help is appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Yes, you need to change the batteries on the MPU

#3 11 years ago

I am new to pinball and parts. What is an MPU, where would it be located and what kind of batterys would it take?

#4 11 years ago

The MPU board is in the back box, behind the Translite. It takes 3 AA batteries. When you pull off the translite, open the door, you will see the batteries, or where they are supposed to go.

#5 11 years ago

Sorry, I assumed you knew where/what the board was since you said in your original post you saw it smoking. If you saw it smoking, then you would have had the backglass/translite off, the light board open and the boards (MPU included) exposed.

My guess is your tech didn't re-install the batteries....If there was battery corrosion involved he/she may not have even reinstalled the battery holder.

#6 11 years ago

Return to base. Return to base. You're fight'n a laser war.

#7 11 years ago

I will look tonight. Thanks for the information. I will let you know.

#8 11 years ago

Replaced the three AA batteries and all settings changes I made saved. Thanks to those of you that helped me out on this.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for the resolution...Glad it worked out.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from chessman:

Replaced the three AA batteries and all settings changes I made saved. Thanks to those of you that helped me out on this.

Thank you for following up with the resolution. It is very much appreciated. Enjoy your game.

#11 11 years ago

Glad you got it. Let me know when you tire of LW, I'll come and take it off your hands.

1 month later
#12 11 years ago

Well, the new batteries worked for a little while. Now the machine is back to doing the same thing. The most annoying is that I put it on free play, save it, play a game, and when I turn off\on the machine, free play is off. Is something draining the batteries? I have not tried new batteries yet. The last ones were new, out of the package. Any thoughts?

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from chessman:

Well, the new batteries worked for a little while. Now the machine is back to doing the same thing. The most annoying is that I put it on free play, save it, play a game, and when I turn off\on the machine, free play is off. Is something draining the batteries? I have not tried new batteries yet. The last ones were new, out of the package. Any thoughts?

What brand of batteries? Cheap batteries do not work well.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from chessman:

I think your game is junk. Give me your address, and I'll come over and get rid of it for you, no charge.

Check the pads that the batteries touch, sometimes they get corroded, and need to be cleaned. Also take your volt meter, and find where the holder is soldered to the board, and make sure you have voltage there (4.5 vdc). Your holder could be bad, that's what it ended up being on mine.

Good luck, and I'm ready to buy when you tire of it.

6 months later
#15 10 years ago

ThePostmaster: It has been a while since we talked. I have decided, after much thought, to offer up the pinball machine to you if you are still interested. I live near Lake Geneva, WI so it could work out logistically. Give me a shout one way or the other.

#16 10 years ago

the Laser War I worked on had really bad connectors for the battery holders. It is a possibility they need to be replaced or resoldered to the MPU.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.