Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by 8bitrobo
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240302_214537670 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240302_214614641 (resized).jpg
    img_9366 copy (resized).jpg
    img_9184 copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_9337 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9338 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9339 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9336.JPG
    Donuts.gif
    IMG_8650 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8628 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8679 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9276 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9273 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9274 (resized).JPG
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago

It depends on a lot of factors really. What would be the max size and thickness of what you want to cut? Acrylic is super easy to cut, but wood can vary. I would contact Omni laser and just see what they suggest for you.

If it was me I'd go for the sub $400 pre-owned to learn and see if it is a tool that will actually be used. At $2000 I'd skip the desktop "functional" one and go bigger for a couple hundred more.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from 8bitrobo:

It depends on a lot of factors really. What would be the max size and thickness of what you want to cut? Acrylic is super easy to cut, but wood can vary. I would contact Omni laser and just see what they suggest for you.
    If it was me I'd go for the sub $400 pre-owned to learn and see if it is a tool that will actually be used. At $2000 I'd skip the desktop "functional" one and go bigger for a couple hundred more.

Just to clarify, you must have a CO2 laser to cut clear acrylic (the less expensive diode lasers will not do it because of their wavelength).

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just to clarify, you must have a CO2 laser to cut clear acrylic (the less expensive diode lasers will not do it because of their wavelength)

Of course. I meant the ones listed in Omni laser which were CO2.

On the note of different types of lasers and material compatibility. Sometimes I use blue painters tape on the c02 or diode lasers with low power to preview a etch. My work also has a fiber laser and this trick wouldn't work. Nothing would ever etch on the tape, which made sense because it wasn't metal. Last week I had a really tough etch on a large curved aluminum part that need to be on the money. I tried the painters tape in the fiber laser, and to my surprise is worked perfectly. This was a different (cheaper) brand of tape and I'm not sure why it worked, but very thankful it did.

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from 8bitrobo:

Of course. I meant the ones listed in Omni laser which were CO2.
    On the note of different types of lasers and material compatibility. Sometimes I use blue painters tape on the c02 or diode lasers with low power to preview a etch. My work also has a fiber laser and this trick wouldn't work. Nothing would ever etch on the tape, which made sense because it wasn't metal. Last week I had a really tough etch on a large curved aluminum part that need to be on the money. I tried the painters tape in the fiber laser, and to my surprise is worked perfectly. This was a different (cheaper) brand of tape and I'm not sure why it worked, but very thankful it did.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult your laser intelligence. You obviously have experience with them.

8 months later
    #105 4 months ago

Would it be possible to engrave in actuall steel pinballs?

#106 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kungen:

Not with a CO2 or diode laser. You need a fiber laser.

You can use a spray called cermark (or various diy alternatives) to sinter molybdenum onto the surface but that wouldn't work with a pinball as it sits on top of the surface and will affect ball rolling. It's only a few thou, but it's still a few thou

#107 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kungen:

I tried with a marking laser at work. Yes you can engrave them but it doesn’t leave a smooth surface.

So not putting it in a machine.

I work in the applications lab at IPG Photonics

#108 4 months ago

I tried cutting my latest homebrew playfield with my works 100w laser instead of a CNC. I'm pretty happy with the results. 1/2in Baltic birch. It took me a couple of test cuts to dial in the settings to cut all the way through the wood.

PXL_20240302_214537670 (resized).jpgPXL_20240302_214537670 (resized).jpgPXL_20240302_214614641 (resized).jpgPXL_20240302_214614641 (resized).jpg
    #109 4 months ago
    Quoted from 8bitrobo:

I tried cutting my latest homebrew playfield with my works 100w laser instead of a CNC. I'm pretty happy with the results. 1/2in Baltic birch. It took me a couple of test cuts to dial in the settings to cut all the way through the wood.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool! One pass? Is your laser big enough to fit the whole thing on the bed or did you have to do it in two halves? If the latter how did you index it to get it lined up properly for the second half?

#110 4 months ago

2 passes and it has to go really slow. It probably takes about the same time as using a CNC. The laser wasn't big enough for the whole thing. I did 2/3 first then moved it. I used Lightburn and it won't do anything outside the work area. So instead of a rectangle I had two C shaped cuts. On the end of the cut I had a line continue about a half inch in length on the outside of the playfield. I used that line to set up for the next half of the cut. I wasn't sure how well it would work at first, but it ended up being really easy.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.