(Topic ID: 130314)

Laser cutter paint overlays instead of decals?

By mark532011

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1502854_1502839449965324_5203868607141954775_o.jpg
    $T2eC16RHJGsFFMlfig4YBSSwBuZ-MQ~~60_57.JPG
    #1 8 years ago

I was reading a discussion about how to get lettering back on top of the clear inserts ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curbfeelers-f14-tomcat-restoration-it-begins#post-2015780 ) There seemed to be some concern about how "black" the lettering was with the light underneath when applying a decal and I was wondering if a better solution might be to laser-cut a paint mask and spray-paint a couple coats of black on top rather than use a decal.

Laser cutters are in the $400's and it seems like that would give you a really sharp mask for the small lettering. Is that a viable alternative?

#2 8 years ago

I presume you're talking about a vinyl cutter? I could be wrong, but don't see a laser cutter going that cheap.

Have a look at the Silhouette Cameo club to see how people are using vinyl cutters in their restoration projects (including insert lettering).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club

#3 8 years ago

Don't cut vinyl on a laser cutter it gives off styrene gas which is poisonous.

#4 8 years ago

You probably mean one of these $250 vinyl cutters:

ebay.com link: NEW Your Best Value SignMakers Vinyl SignWarehouse Cutter Vinly Sign Plotter

You can use them to cut your own cab stencils too.

$T2eC16RHJGsFFMlfig4YBSSwBuZ-MQ~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16RHJGsFFMlfig4YBSSwBuZ-MQ~~60_57.JPG
    #5 8 years ago

Is there something special about that kind of vinyl cutter versus something like the Silhouette cameo? Is the vinyl cutter designed to work with materials that pinheads like us care more about?

#6 8 years ago

It uses regular Roland blades, so you can always get them cheap.

It is a 31" wide cutter, so even deep Jpop style cabs can have their stencils cut by it (if it says it's a 31" machine, that probably means it can cut to 29", lol).

It has enough cut force to cut real painter's stencil; that material can trip up small cutters.

#7 8 years ago

You might also looking into silk-screening them, if not too elaborate.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silkscreens-for-insert-repair#post-567154

#8 8 years ago

You can use a vinyl cutter to cut the Rubylith to make the silkscreens, too.

Then you can skip the exposure step.

I do like that example of using the silkscreen repair, because you can easily do the color white.

#9 8 years ago

looks like I confused the laser cutter (cuts via laser beam, $2500) with the vinyl cutter (cuts via razor blade, $400) - from the threads, it sounds like a vinyl cutter such as a Cameo has high enough resolution that it can cut what is needed for playfield restores.

Are they being used for cutting stencil papers or as painting masks?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

Are they being used for cutting stencil papers or as painting masks?

It's more like a stencil vinyl, that does not allow paint to creep under the edge.

They make it in solvent resistant or water resistant formulas, depending on what you are shooting.

#11 8 years ago

Huh. So if the vinyl cutter is ~$250 and the Cameo is ~$250, there's really no reason (other than space concerns) to get the Cameo over the vinyl cutter, is there?

#12 8 years ago

I've never seen a Cameo, but I imagine replacement blades are more than standard Rolland ones.

The vinyl goes in and out of the machine while cutting , so if you are cutting a long piece on a desk, you would have to clear the desk both in front and behind the cutter for the length of the material.

That stand is probably worth $250 of headache all by itself (unless you have a big, empty desk....)

#13 8 years ago

Why not go all out and get one of these you can print and cut... BIG PRICE!
    http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/versavsi/

I started my career working for a company that created software for cutting and printing it was fun playing with all the large format printers and cutters. We would get tons of free vinyl and other media to cut and print on. Wish I still had access to all that technology.
    Joe

#14 8 years ago

Do you think the big vinyl cutter can make precision cuts to allow me to make masks like Gov did for his Taxi?

1502854_1502839449965324_5203868607141954775_o.jpg1502854_1502839449965324_5203868607141954775_o.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Indeed they do- they are by far the most common variety. Most can cut an unlimited length of material. Precision varies but almost all are well more than accurate to do what you want. With a Cameo you woukd have to cut it in two pieces and its limited to a fairly short cut lenght- not for cabinet etc

Searh cameo here and restore and you will find a lot of information -

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from UvulaBob:

Do you think the big vinyl cutter can make precision cuts to allow me to make masks like Gov did for his Taxi?

It probably could but you need to be good at some art program like corel, adobe, or photoshop or you will go crazy trying to figure it all out.

#17 8 years ago

The software part I can deal with. I just want to make sure my ~$300 goes towards the right tool for the job. I don't see needing to do cabinet work in the future, but you never know. If the bigger vinyl cutter/plotter can make the cuts at the needed precision to mask all the little curves and stuff for the art on a Taxi playfield, then I think I'll end up going that route.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from UvulaBob:

Yes, although I went with one that has a servo motor rather than a stepper motor. They cost more but are more accurate on small cuts and track better when making long cuts. Here's some more info you may find helpful.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/blog/basic-guide-vinyl-cutters/

#19 8 years ago

http://www.heatpressnation.com/gcc-expert-24-vinyl-cutter-plotter-geni.html?gdftrk=gdfV27783_a_7c2327_a_7c10363_a_7cEX_d_24&gclid=CISutLimi8YCFdgBgQodIWkA-A

This is the best bang for the buck .... There is a lot of cheap crap and very expensive plotters... This is a solid machine

#20 8 years ago

The GCC is a very good product if you can get away with the smaller format. I've got a friend with one and he just splits larger graphics into sections. Seems to work fine. Like any tool it depends on how much you're going to be using it as to whether some features are worth the expense. Same issue with the stepper motor.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from UvulaBob:

The software part I can deal with. I just want to make sure my ~$300 goes towards the right tool for the job. I don't see needing to do cabinet work in the future, but you never know. If the bigger vinyl cutter/plotter can make the cuts at the needed precision to mask all the little curves and stuff for the art on a Taxi playfield, then I think I'll end up going that route.

Plus, you can cut Mylar discs for under the pops, or custom shapes of Mylar to fit a difficult area.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cutter-paint-overlays-instead-of-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.