You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CEAABE92-90E9-454E-AD23-4643AA02E54F (resized).jpeg
C9400F5E-8716-4DA1-B3C1-7A9390ADBB26 (resized).jpeg
6BEEB2EA-49C7-40BB-921A-84E9959A3F50 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Got a Laser Cue that just stopped working. When turning on the game it goes through the normal sequence and then the P1 display shows "2520 2", with the credits displaying "4" and the ball display showing "0". Game has NVRAM installed with a 2032 battery. I replaced the battery, no change. I've reseated all cables on all boards, no change. I've checked all the switches on the coin door to ensure nothing was stuck. Lastly, the only other odd thing, which may not be odd, is when the game is in this state the flippers work. Thoughts on what to look for?
6BEEB2EA-49C7-40BB-921A-84E9959A3F50 (resized).jpeg6BEEB2EA-49C7-40BB-921A-84E9959A3F50 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

I don't know if this one behaves like system 7 games, but after changing the batteries on my BK I have to switch it on, let it boot, then quickly switch it off and back on again to get it to boot past audit mode (which is what i *think* you're getting here, but i may be wrong). Also-- I'm not certain, but i think the coin door may have to be open when you do the on/off/on trick. However, this should *only* happen when the batteries were changed or RAM replaced on board. Could indicate a problem with ram or memory circuit on mpu if it consistently boots to audit mode...though the on/off/on should allow you to bypass it even with no batteries in the game, as far as i know.

Good luck!

#3 5 years ago

Why do you have a battery and nvram?

Door does need to be open

Can you advance through the audits? Sometimes it seems like scrolling through to the end fixed things

#4 5 years ago

Sorry thought it was NVRAM. Attached is the battery component.

Side note - I can cycle through audits and stuff with no issues. Also tried the on/off thing, no luck.

C9400F5E-8716-4DA1-B3C1-7A9390ADBB26 (resized).jpegC9400F5E-8716-4DA1-B3C1-7A9390ADBB26 (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago

Check voltage at the ram chip itself?

#6 5 years ago

If there’s a memory clear procedure on System 7 games give that a try.

It might be on that sticker in the backbox.

#7 5 years ago

Didn’t check the voltage yet. But there is a toggle switch right above the battery. When I pressed the LCD display next to it shows the number 9, which corresponds to the sticker chart. Just don’t know where to go from here other than checking the voltage (tomorrow night).

CEAABE92-90E9-454E-AD23-4643AA02E54F (resized).jpegCEAABE92-90E9-454E-AD23-4643AA02E54F (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago

scroll through the audits and the game should reset after you go passed setting #50. It should then boot into attract mode.
If not 1 of 2 things is going on . The game thinks the coin door is closed (can be bad switch, bad wiring, or bad chips on teh MPU boards) Or it's a bad 5101 Ram chip.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Didn’t check the voltage yet. But there is a toggle switch right above the battery. When I pressed the LCD display next to it shows the number 9, which corresponds to the sticker chart. Just don’t know where to go from here other than checking the voltage (tomorrow night). [quoted image]

Was the coin door closed?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Was the coin door closed?

Yes. Now you have me second guessing, should the door he be open before pressing the diagnostic switch?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Yes. Now you have me second guessing, should the door he be open before pressing the diagnostic switch?

Open coil door before even turning the game on. Don't close it until you're in attract mode. The game can't write to the ram while the door is closed

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I don't know if this one behaves like system 7 games, but after changing the batteries on my BK I have to switch it on, let it boot, then quickly switch it off and back on again to get it to boot past audit mode (which is what i *think* you're getting here, but i may be wrong)

I agree, I think it is booting up into audit mode. I would try the turning off and back on real quick and see what happens. FYI Laser Cue is a system 7 game.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

scroll through the audits and the game should reset after you go passed setting #50. It should then boot into attract mode.
If not 1 of 2 things is going on . The game thinks the coin door is closed (can be bad switch, bad wiring, or bad chips on teh MPU boards) Or it's a bad 5101 Ram chip.

I tried scrolling through the audits, it gets to 50, "resets" for about 1 second and then defaults back to the "2520 2" in Player 1 display. I have not dove into testing for a bad switch/wiring, etc.

Quoted from zacaj:

Open coil door before even turning the game on. Don't close it until you're in attract mode. The game can't write to the ram while the door is closed

Tried this. As soon as the game is powered on, after about 1 full second, the game defaults back to the "2520 2" in Player 1 display.

Quoted from henrydwh:

I agree, I think it is booting up into audit mode. I would try the turning off and back on real quick and see what happens. FYI Laser Cue is a system 7 game.

I've tried turning it off/on numerous times, super fast, with the coin door open and closed. End result is the game defaults back to the "2520 2" in Player 1 display.

#14 5 years ago

Hey I just took another look at your battery board. Why do you have a red jumper on the diode? The board should not have the jumper.

https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/franks-famous-battery-board/

The diode is supposed to prevent the button cell from being charged when the game is on. I would remove the wire, replace the battery and see what happens.

Also, there is a procedure in the game manual to reset the memory. In audit mode, step to function 45 in the Player 1 display and press Advance. This should clear the memory and reset game to factory defaults.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Hey I just took another look at your battery board. Why do you have a red jumper on the diode? The board should not have the jumper.
The diode is supposed to prevent the button cell from being charged when the game is on. I would remove the wire, replace the battery and see what happens.
Also, there is a procedure in the game manual to reset the memory. In audit mode, step to function 45 in the Player 1 display and press Advance. This should clear the memory and reset game to factory defaults.

That's how I received the game. Owned it for about 2 weeks, no issues other than a drop target coil burning up. Then about 5 hours later the game started doing this. I'll try this other stuff on Wednesday. Thanks everyone!

#16 5 years ago

Well I think you have established it consistently only boots into audit mode. I think it is time to replace the RAM chip. If board work is beyond your skill level find a local who can do it for you, or send it out to be repaired.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:Hey I just took another look at your battery board. Why do you have a red jumper on the diode? The board should not have the jumper.

Williams don't have rechargeable batteries.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Williams don't have rechargeable batteries.

Correct.....and the lithium battery on the board is not rechargeable either. But the jumper makes it a rechargeable configuration, which is why it needs to be removed.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Correct.....and the lithium battery on the board is not rechargeable either. But the jumper makes it a rechargeable configuration, which is why it needs to be removed.

Except the Williams won't recharge it, since it doesn't recharge its batteries and already has a blocking diode on the board?

#20 5 years ago

There is already a blocking diode on the cpu board itself. This would be the 2nd one.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Except the Williams won't recharge it, since it doesn't recharge its batteries and already has a blocking diode on the board?

You are 2 seconds faster

#22 5 years ago

Ok I’m getting confused. Cut the red wire or keep it, lol.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Ok I’m getting confused. Cut the red wire or keep it, lol.

I guess it all depends how the battery board is wired to the MPU. Measure voltage at the jumper with the game on. If you read 3.x volts you can leave it. If you read 5.x volts you need to remove it.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Well I think you have established it consistently only boots into audit mode. I think it is time to replace the RAM chip. If board work is beyond your skill level find a local who can do it for you, or send it out to be repaired.

Yup, This is the correct next step although you can check one more thing that has a likelihood of about 0.5% chance. Put a meter on the coin door closed switch and verify that it is working correctly. This is the the white switch with the big button that releases when you open the coin door. If that switch is locked on, (or if the wires are for some reason jumpered to each other), you can't get out of audit mode.

If the switch wiring checks out then it's 99% likely a bad 5101 Ram and about 1% possible that it's bad chips that receive the coin door closed signal on the mpu board.

Occasionally I find the 5101 already socketed on system 7 boards (from previous repairs). If it is pull the ram and pop in an NVRAM and you can delete the battery holder.

#27 5 years ago

RAM chip has arrived. Now just need the help of my friend to come over and put it in. Will report back in a few days.

#28 5 years ago

I'm working on a Laser Cue as well that's doing all sorts of crazy things. It will boot up and go into attract mode. When you press the start button the drop targets will do several re-sets the bell starts ringing and then sometimes crash sounding like the sound is winding down.. If it doesn't crash and you push one of the standup targets it then crashes. Before it crashes the flippers work, slings etc. Only the outhole kicker will not load a ball into the shooter lane. The driver board is a good re-built with new female pins for the two boards to connect. The MPU has had no work. If you push the MPU test button a 9 is displayed. The game had the wrong out hole kicker coil without a diode. Could this have damaged the MPU? Also the connectors on the left side of the MPU aren't keyed and were off the board. Can someone tell me the correct placement? There is a black wire connector, brown, and 2 more I believe mixed colors. I want to double check even though they pretty much fall into place with age. Thanks!

#29 5 years ago

System 7 MPU Board Self Test (Pressing the Diagnostic Button)

0 - Test Passed
1 - IC13 RAM Faulty
2 - IC16 RAM Faulty
3 - IC17 ROM 2 Faulty
4 - IC17 ROM 2 Faulty
5 - IC20 ROM I Faulty
6 - IC14 Game ROM 1 Faulty
7 - IC26 Game ROM 0 Faulty
8 - IC19 CMOS RAM or memory protect circuit faulty
9 - Coin-door closed, memory protect circuit faulty, or IC19 CMOS RAM Faulty.

#30 5 years ago

Yes I already know that. Could that missing diode have toasted the IC?

#32 5 years ago

Glad you got it going! Now have some fun!

#33 5 years ago

Sweet, I’m glad it’s up and running again.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

Yes I already know that. Could that missing diode have toasted the IC?

For $15, start with replacing the RAM.

#35 5 years ago

Just ordered one.

1 week later
#36 5 years ago

Hey guys. I'm running into the same problem. I just did a quick check on the board, and someone prior to me socketed the RAM chip. I had ordered a new 5101 NVRAM from barakandl . After looking at the board, I see that there are two lifted pads and some buss wire repairs. They seem to check out fine through continuity tests. I also noticed that two sets of legs had bridged connections. From my personal limited experience, I have never seen a RAM chip with bridged connections. I was going to clean it up after work today, but thought I'd get some confirmation first. Should there be any bridged connections on the board?

#37 5 years ago

Sometimes 5101 ram does have bridged connections.... pins 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 are usually bridged together.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Sometimes 5101 ram does have bridged connections.... pins 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 are usually bridged together.

I did check and it does appear to have some bridged connections.

I've tried a ton of things and still am getting Diagnostic code 8- IC19 CMOS RAM or memory protect circuit faulty

I've checked for continuity along all of the pins on the MPU and the Solenoid driver board. I've reflowed solder on all the header pins on both boards, checked the socketed connection on IC19 5101 chip and it's good. I have a new 5101 NVRAM chip installed and still getting the error. All of the legs are connected and show continuity. Everything from what I can tell is making good electrical connection. Tried the on/off/on trick and also going through the audit modes to reset and still the same error. Will let my head clear and try again tomorrow, but any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I'll start a new thread to see if I can get more assistance.

3 years later
#39 1 year ago

Jumping in here after 3 years. Similar problems with a Laser Cue. Mine was working fine, then suddenly would not start. Start/credit button does not seem to register. Traced both wires throughout entire game of the switch and show 100% continuity.

Stumped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-won-t-boot-start-stuck-on-the-diagnostics-screen?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.