• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by tomm1963
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Timmo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Laser Cue has a bug that is very annoying to those of us who like the set up our games to award an extra ball instead of credits. Whenever an extra ball is awarded by making a replay score or hitting a lit outlane special, Laser Cue turns on the bell and NEVER turns it off - even after the game is over. The only way to turn off the bell is to hit the lit ball target during normal play. This activates a different routine that is properly programmed to turn the bell solenoid on and off.

As far as I can tell, nobody has ever posted a fix for this bug so I set out to squash it myself (otherwise I was going the end up cutting the wire to that damn bell).

The bug is in the routine that awards the extra ball. For some reason the bell solenoid is activated here using the “always on” code instead of using a timed value. This may have been done on purpose to get one big long ring when the top extra ball target is hit. The bell is eventually turned off in another section of code that processes this target hit. The code works, but only as long as the game is configured for standard revenue play and an extra ball is never awarded for any other reason than hitting the extra ball target. In any other situation the routine that contains the code to turn off the bell is never executed.

The simple fix is to replace the “always on” code in the extra ball routine with a value that specifies a short ring.

E117: 86 ED lda #$ED
change to
E117: 86 4D lda #$4D

And then restore the checksum in an unused byte.

E7A8: 00
change to
E7A8: A0

That’s it. Now you get a quick little bell ring whenever an extra ball is awarded for whatever reason. Hope this fix helps somebody else retain their sanity.

IC14 is the only ROM that needs to be hacked. I made these changes to the Laser Cue L2 game ROMs I downloaded from Planetary Pinball. As usual, use at your own risk. This hack runs fine on my Laser Cue, but I am not a professional programmer and I assume no responsibility for any changes you decide to make to the game code on your machine.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I do not understand how you expressed what offset to change.

IC14 occupies the $E000 range of memory, so in your editor change byte 0118 from $ED to $4D and byte 07A8 from $00 to $A0.

Quoted from jibmums:

So the first time you got the extra ball and activated the bell, how long did you let it ring before you figured that it wasn't going to turn itself off and powered down the game?

Ha ha. I had read about the problem so I knew about it going in. Having the bell ring on and on like that really added to the pressure to hit that next lit ball target to shut it off, but I really don't miss that "feature" a bit.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Gaston:

I have two suggestions:
- Increase the game version from level 2 to 3 so you can tell at a glance the fix is installed when testing the game
- Only use the last two bytes of IC14 for checksum corrections.

Hi Gaston,
Thank you. I welcome your input and your suggestions make sense. I have no problem with the changes you recommend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Timmo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-rom-hack-to-fix-never-ending-bell?tu=Timmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.