5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Working on a Williams Laser Cue. The game boots up and goes into attract mode. When you push start everything works normally and then nothing like it's tilted. When this happens though it's like the sound of a record player slowing with the game sounds doing that. If you push start again everything is working until it repeats it again. Any ideas? Re-built driver board and re-pinned that large inter connect between the MPU and driver.

#2 5 years ago

Take the ball out and put it in switch test. Are any registering?

#3 5 years ago

When it's up and running all switches register. After it crashes nothing does. Flippers stop working also.

#4 5 years ago

In switch test I'll have to check it out.

#5 5 years ago

Do the lights and displays stay on?

If you have access to an eprom chip (2716 or 2816) and a chip programmer you could download and run these test ROMs: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

With them you can check individual parts of your entire machine. For random crashes I recommend testing the RAM and CMOS chips using these ROMs. they are more extensive than the Williams onboard tests.

EDIT: The current beta ROM set has somewhat limited support for system 7 compared to the ones I haven't officially released yet. If you'd like to try the latest and greatest send me a PM and I'll send you a link to download them.

#6 5 years ago

Lights and displays stay on. No access to a programmer

#7 5 years ago

With the coin door open:

Pressing the Diagnostic button on a properly functioning System 7 MPU will cause the 7 segment display to flash a zero and then go blank. System 7 diagnostics are a bit more useful than prior Williams game systems but are still not 100% trustworthy. If the MPU built-in-test software detects a problem with the game hardware, the 7 segment display will remain on with an error code displayed. Possible error codes are:

0 - and then goes out...all tests passed
    1 - IC13 RAM or IC20 ROM failed
    2 - IC16 RAM failure
    3 - IC17 ROM failure
    4 - IC17 ROM failure (duplicated test...yes)
    5 - IC20 ROM failure or the coin door was closed or memory protect fault
    6 - IC14 Game ROM failure
    7 - IC26 Game ROM failure
    8 - IC19 (5101) RAM failure or the coin door was closed or memory protect fault
    9 - IC19 (5101 again) RAM failure or the coin door was closed or memory protect fault.

Tests 1,2,8,9 are not very reliable - lots of false positives - but if you do get a failure here you'll need to replace the related chip.

You can try it before and after the crash and see what you get. If the system truly is crashed you wont get any results at all AFTER the crash.

Note that running these built-in diagnostics the lamps and the displays will go out.

Let me know what you find

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-really-odd-behavior?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.