Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jameshalko
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello and welcome! I recently picked up a Laser Cue machine based on one picture and the description "Lights work and flippers work. Ball won't eject, unable to play" so pretty much going in blind. I should mention, this is my first pinball machine that wasn't purchased from a dealer and I couldn't have been more excited to finally work on a machine myself!

Round 1:
I got the machine to my house and immediately plugged it in and tried running a game.... Whomp, whomp, whomp. The game goes into the dreaded 'audit mode'. I open the the box and behold(!) a leaky battery with corrosion going down the driver board. I was able to start a game by cycling through the diagnostics. My displays are 100% working and I am getting sound as well, but I have never played the game so I'm not sure if the sound is right.

So when I start the game, as mentioned in the brief description I received, the ball does not shoot out of the outhole! Not only that, but the pop bumpers, drop targets, and slingshot are all dead with no action what-so-ever. I believe the bell is also dead but I'm not 100% sure. However, all the flippers DO work.

Start of repairs:
I replaced the battery pack with NVRAM, replaced the capacitors on the power supply, and replaced all the fuses.

Round 2:
I turn on the machine and it now start in attract mode and I also notice general improvement to the lights on the play field. (Win!) When I go to start the first game, one pop bumper went off and then I get a fuse blown. One drop target reset as well during this. Outhole, pop bumpers, drop targets, and slingshot are all still dead. This is where I am currently and could use some help diagnosing what the issue is!

#2 4 years ago

Not sure your experience level, so pardon me if you are beyond some of my comments.

Do you have or have read the manual? A copy is here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/1414/Williams_1984_Laser_Cue_Manual.pdf

Pinwiki reference info is here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7

Read through those and familiarize yourself with the operations of the machine.

Which fuse was it? Knowing this will narrow down the problem area and we can help you better. Also, did you replace it with the right amperage or just replace what was there. Often they are wrong, so cross your fingers and hope you just put one in that was too small. Use the manual to verify the size.

A key thing to learn is the switch and coil test procedures. Switches can trigger random actions if they are stuck. Coil test can show you which coils actually work or not, regardless of game state.

Using the switch test, make sure all the balls are recognised in the trough (i'm not sure if it is a multi ball game), System 7 machines will not start without all the balls in place and with switches activated. Make sure it is on free play or has credits.

Figure out what the fuse is connected to and visually inspect all the coils, diodes, and transistors (on the driver board) on that circuit. You may have a burnt coil that has shorted. If you find one, disconnect it and see if the fuse blows.

If neither of those reveal anything, trace the wiring on that circuit to make sure nothing is shorted somewhere. Pay particular attention to ground braiding. Sometimes it works loose and touches stuff it shouldn't.

Post results her and hopefully we can help you more.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from jameshalko:

I got the machine to my house and immediately plugged it in and tried running a game.... Whomp, whomp, whomp. The game goes into the dreaded 'audit mode'.

Audit mode isn't dreaded - this is actually a good thing. When you turn it on and nothing happens and the LED display on the mpu board locks on.... that's where you start to have dreaded issues. You game was booting... it just had an error.

#4 4 years ago

“When I go to start the first game, one pop bumper went off and then I get a fuse blown. One drop target reset as well during this. Outhole, pop bumpers, drop targets, and slingshot are all still dead.”

2 possibilities: a bad driver board transistor, or a misadjusted pop bumper switch (or both). Congrats on getting to attract mode!

#5 4 years ago

Get that 40 pin connector on the driver board and mpu replaced!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Not sure your experience level, so pardon me if you are beyond some of my comments.
Do you have or have read the manual? A copy is here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/1414/Williams_1984_Laser_Cue_Manual.pdf
Pinwiki reference info is here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7
Read through those and familiarize yourself with the operations of the machine.
Which fuse was it? Knowing this will narrow down the problem area and we can help you better. Also, did you replace it with the right amperage or just replace what was there. Often they are wrong, so cross your fingers and hope you just put one in that was too small. Use the manual to verify the size.
A key thing to learn is the switch and coil test procedures. Switches can trigger random actions if they are stuck. Coil test can show you which coils actually work or not, regardless of game state.
Using the switch test, make sure all the balls are recognised in the trough (i'm not sure if it is a multi ball game), System 7 machines will not start without all the balls in place and with switches activated. Make sure it is on free play or has credits.
Figure out what the fuse is connected to and visually inspect all the coils, diodes, and transistors (on the driver board) on that circuit. You may have a burnt coil that has shorted. If you find one, disconnect it and see if the fuse blows.
If neither of those reveal anything, trace the wiring on that circuit to make sure nothing is shorted somewhere. Pay particular attention to ground braiding. Sometimes it works loose and touches stuff it shouldn't.
Post results her and hopefully we can help you more.

Lots of good info here. Get acquainted with the manual and the components on each of the boards. My first step with any solid state is to reflow solder on the header pins. Next, for WMS of this era, I would replace the 40 pin interconnect on both sides as mentioned. Ensuring the fuses are the correct value is also a must. I wouldnt do any further troubleshooting until these things are done. I can take any pictures you need for reference.

Also check out vids guide on bulletproofing these games

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#7 4 years ago

Also be sure to add fuses to the 2 backbox-mounted bridge rectifiers, as detailed in vid's guide fatpanda posted above. It's a potential fire hazard without the fuses! Here's the specific section of the guide I'm referring to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945742

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Also be sure to add fuses to the 2 backbox-mounted bridge rectifiers, as detailed in vid's guide fatpanda posted above. It's a potential fire hazard without the fuses! Here's the specific section of the guide I'm referring to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945742

This is an absolute requirement and is such an easy mod I'm shocked when I see a machine without it.

If you want to add the fuses and replace the bridges and filter cap all in one step you can use inkochnito's bridge board. I have installed it a dozen times and have yet to have a fuse blow on it

1 week later
#9 4 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone! So far this is where I have ended up.

I replaced 40 pin connector, capacitors on the power supply, and diodes on all of the solenoids.

I tested all of the solenoids and the only one I get a weird reading is on the bell solenoid @ 16.5 Ohms.

These are the current issues:

Problem 1) When adding connector 2J11 to the driver board, fuse F2 blows.

Problem 2) When adding connector 2J9 to the drive boards, GI lights turn on with machine but then go out. (new problem)

Problem 3) With connectors 2J10, 2J12, 2J13 in the driver board, the right pop bumper is freaking out a bit. It is firing occasionally on its own and doesn't trigger normally.

These are the next steps I have:

Problem 1) Remove solenoids 1-by-1 to determine the exact solenoid where it is failing. I am also going to replace the transistors on the driver board.

Problem 2) Totally lost on the GI lights going out.

Problem 3) I haven't tried looking at this. There was a bit of corrosion where the special solenoid transistors and such are so I am going to replace the components to clean it up and see if that helps.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

#10 4 years ago

Problem 1) I removed the solenoids 1-by-1 but the fuse only stopped when I cut out the last one! I am going to make sure the last solenoid wasn't the issue but since all the solenoids are looking good, and the diodes have been replaced I am starting to think that the problem lies elsewhere.

Problem 2) This stopped so I am going to not worry about this.

Problem 3) I believe this is a blown transistor on the driver board or another issue with the board. the other two pop bumpers trigger and fire correctly however the one that isn't working won't trigger and will half-pop occasionally. You can hear a "build up" of some sort before it pops.

I have transistors coming and will be replacing transistors and resistors on the driver board hopefully this weekend. I am also going to do a comprehensive test on the power supply to ensure all the correct readings. And then all my problems will be solved and I can play the game! (probably not)

1 week later
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

This is an absolute requirement and is such an easy mod I'm shocked when I see a machine without it.
If you want to add the fuses and replace the bridges and filter cap all in one step you can use inkochnito's bridge board. I have installed it a dozen times and have yet to have a fuse blow on it

I actually tested the bridge rectifiers yesterday and 6BR1 wasn't showing anything so I think I am going to get inkochnito's bridge board. You wouldn't by any chance have a photo of one installed?

1 month later
#12 4 years ago

Okay, so it's been a while but I do have some different issues now.

Since the last post, i have rebuilt the drop targets. Removed, cleaned, and replaced all transistors on the driver board, replaced the bridge rectifiers with a new board and replaced the power supply with a new xpin board.

I was actually able to have a night where the game played and operated correctly other than some lamps being out and the right flipper not changing the top lanes.

I recently opened the game up to clean the right flipper assembly because it was sticking and to fix a drop target spring.

I go to play a game to test and out of nowhere the outhole and left kicker solenoids wont fire.

I have no idea why they would all of sudden stop working or where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#13 4 years ago

Do the coils fire in coil test?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Do the coils fire in coil test?

Nope, they do not fire in the coil test

Neither does the bell, but given that isn't gameplay necessary I'm less worried about that.

#15 4 years ago

Look for a broken wire at the non-working coils. It's also possible a wire could have broken off another coil upstream that is "daisy-chained" to the ones that stopped working.

#16 4 years ago

Also check fuses if you haven’t. You also can jump off another coil to at least confirm those coils are working.

#17 4 years ago

I got everything working, it was weird that wasnt connected just as frunch suggested. The game worked for probably 20 or so plays but now it will start to tilt on every ball. I even set the number of tilts to 99 so you will play for a minute or to and the game tilts. Anyone have any idea why it would do this?

#18 4 years ago

Next time the game starts tilting, access the switch test in diagnostics, remove the ball and make sure all drop targets are up. See which (if any) switches come up on the display, it will show a number for each switch that it currently detects closed. I'm guessing you may just have a tilt switch that needs adjustment, or you may have to adjust the tilt bob...you could even remove the tilt bob temporarily to see if that fixes it. The switch test will hopefully tell you which switch to focus on.

#19 4 years ago

So I did as you suggested and the 'Ball Roll Tilt' switch was going off. I reseated 2J3 and it went away. However, when playing the game was still tilting. After some testing, it appears as though whenever the Spinner is activated, it also activates a tilt. I just removed the spinner switch mech so the game could be played and it has not been tilting at all. So that's new.

#20 4 years ago

The spinner switch and the playfield tilt are on the same switch row. Inspect their wiring and test their diodes.

5 months later
#21 3 years ago

Figured out the problem on the spinner, there was a ground wire that was touching one of the screws for the spinner, so whenever the spinner activated it caused a tilt. Just moved the ground wire off of the screw and it is working just fine now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-project-troubleshooting-williams-system-7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.