• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3788 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230615_150944339 (resized).jpg
soda (resized).jpg
Williams_Laser_Cue_Coil_Wrappers.pdf (PDF preview)
DSC_6501 (resized).JPG
0D31F413-8301-4DBC-97E8-E05A8BB839D0 (resized).jpeg
AF438215-D980-45A8-8348-F6EC05A15351 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20210906_221954530 (resized).jpg
500D1040-9C13-48E2-BFC4-04C71A7C01FE (resized).jpeg
IMG_6415 (resized).JPG
received_722271741792411 (resized).jpeg
received_456830185503413 (resized).jpeg
received_2761372984116090 (resized).jpeg
138612640_411094566636389_4635647150538218208_n (resized).jpg
received_719095808720562 (resized).jpeg
received_393747268625275 (resized).jpeg
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Thanks to FatPanda for an easy sale - I was able to pick this one up last night. He did great work on this one and it's playing really strong, so this should just be one I can just setup and play (after I finish my basement rehab).

Thanks for coming out on (relatively) short notice. And the fact that you're only 20 mins away from me means that LC isn't too far away to play a few games on Good luck on your basement! I can't imagine that's a fun thing to have to deal with.

3 weeks later
#102 4 years ago

Can someone post a photo of the mini flipper. This has a bad hack

3BA6B963-5040-4D64-A2F1-CCCCF2C600DD (resized).jpeg3BA6B963-5040-4D64-A2F1-CCCCF2C600DD (resized).jpeg99CD25FB-2968-44D1-B17C-EC569CBF827A (resized).jpeg99CD25FB-2968-44D1-B17C-EC569CBF827A (resized).jpegDE7C4455-0739-4F76-BF99-2E6C80B1169E (resized).jpegDE7C4455-0739-4F76-BF99-2E6C80B1169E (resized).jpeg
#103 4 years ago

Does this help?

20181203_152531 (resized).jpg20181203_152531 (resized).jpg
#104 4 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Does this help?[quoted image]

Yes thankyou. Someone had added wires , disconnected wires.. that photo will help allot

8 months later
#105 3 years ago

Just picked up my first ever pin a few days ago and its a Laser Cue! Loved playing it at a local venue and decided would be a good first pin (not to mention the price wasn't bad) still trying to sort out a few issues, but taking a bit longer as im still trying to learn the ropes! Did read through the manual and know how to navigate the menus pretty well lol Also was wondering is there both a left and right slingshot? or is it just a left sling?

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from HamburglarHunk:

Just picked up my first ever pin a few days ago and its a Laser Cue! Loved playing it at a local venue and decided would be a good first pin (not to mention the price wasn't bad) still trying to sort out a few issues, but taking a bit longer as im still trying to learn the ropes! Did read through the manual and know how to navigate the menus pretty well lol Also was wondering is there both a left and right slingshot? or is it just a left sling?

1 sling. Side note, the board set used for that game is very bad. If you plan on keeping it fir awhile I suggest installing repro boards.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

......Side note, the board set used for that game is very bad. If you plan on keeping it fir awhile I suggest installing repro boards.

Just curious, as I've had my Laser Cue for about a year now with it's original boards, what are the main issue(s) with that System 7 board set? Most of my games are Williams System 3 through System 6, and Laser Cue is my only System 7 machine. I haven't read anything bad about System 7 board sets, but would appreciate any 'heads up' on possible issues that may arise.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from dfrazer:

Just curious, as I've had my Laser Cue for about a year now with it's original boards, what are the main issue(s) with that System 7 board set? Most of my games are Williams System 3 through System 6, and Laser Cue is my only System 7 machine. I haven't read anything bad about System 7 board sets, but would appreciate any 'heads up' on possible issues that may arise.

They are not that bad if you have working boards. Diagnosing issues with them can be a major PITA though because of the lack of diagnostics.

The 40 pin interconnect always needs to be replaced eventually, and often any sockets need to be replaced as well. If your boards are working I wouldn't worry about issues until they pop up.

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

They are not that bad if you have working boards. Diagnosing issues with them can be a major PITA though because of the lack of diagnostics.
The 40 pin interconnect always needs to be replaced eventually, and often any sockets need to be replaced as well. If your boards are working I wouldn't worry about issues until they pop up.

Nailed it.

1 month later
#110 3 years ago

So, I recently picked up this game and got it situated. Loving it! I also noticed this when I was connecting the head back up. I can't discern any difference in these ROMs from what I read about the machine and how it plays otherwise.

I'm guessing this must be pretty late well after any theme change, so probably close to release if not the same.

proto (resized).pngproto (resized).png
2 months later
#111 3 years ago

OMG OMG OMG Image from iOS (6) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (6) (resized).jpg

#112 3 years ago

Nice shiny coat of clear!

3 weeks later
#113 3 years ago

I'm so jealous that this club is clothing optional.

No other club on Pinside is clothing optional.

#114 3 years ago

I love playing this game. For me, this generation of williams pins are fantastic. The good news is that this design was updated from alien poker and made even mo' bettah by removing saucers that stop the ball and implementing a far superior ruleset. Instead of trying to shoot and survive, the new rules make you shoot the entire playfield. Even the extra ball is implemented well. That 25 second ball saver makes for a perfect time to shoot for those dangerous drop targets. Learning how to set up the P-O-O-L and the B-A-L-L targets to advance difficult to hit shots also means that there are times that you do not want to hit certain standups and rollovers on this design.

I also use this game as a showing of a person's character. Guys who think this game is "gay" don't get it. Pam Erickson created the artwork on this game. So, no, this game is not "gay" it is completely heterosexual. She just rendered men as men would draw about women. Dickhead helmets and red flowing capes are MANDATORY! I am waiting for someone to be brave enough to wear this costume to the halloween-pin party.

All's fair in one of the best laid out designs and rulesets. People look over this game because of the art and theme. And that's a real shame. This is a true player and if set up correctly (take out that bar between the lower right hand flippers already), never boring.

I recently sold my barracora. It's a great game and it went to a great home... But Laser Cue stayed. Right Between Warlok and Solar Fire!

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I love playing this game. For me, this generation of williams pins are fantastic. The good news is that this design was updated from alien poker and made even mo' bettah by removing saucers that stop the ball and implementing a far superior ruleset. Instead of trying to shoot and survive, the new rules make you shoot the entire playfield. Even the extra ball is implemented well. That 25 second ball saver makes for a perfect time to shoot for those dangerous drop targets. Learning how to set up the P-O-O-L and the B-A-L-L targets to advance difficult to hit shots also means that there are times that you do not want to hit certain standups and rollovers on this design.
I also use this game as a showing of a person's character. Guys who think this game is "gay" don't get it. Pam Erickson created the artwork on this game. So, no, this game is not "gay" it is completely heterosexual. She just rendered men as men would draw about women. Dickhead helmets and red flowing capes are MANDATORY! I am waiting for someone to be brave enough to wear this costume to the halloween-pin party.
All's fair in one of the best laid out designs and rulesets. People look over this game because of the art and theme. And that's a real shame. This is a true player and if set up correctly (take out that bar between the lower right hand flippers already), never boring.
I recently sold my barracora. It's a great game and it went to a great home... But Laser Cue stayed. Right Between Warlok and Solar Fire!

Yeah Laser Cue has become my go to machine much of the time. The shots are fun and gameplay is quick rules are simple without much distraction. I've played so much recently that the bell glitch was driving me nuts. I refused to disable my bell so I dumped my rom and made the changes outlined by Timmo (my changes specifically were the ones Gaston suggested) here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-rom-hack-to-fix-never-ending-bell

I miss the long bell ring when getting an extra ball, but so far this has done the trick. Much better

#116 3 years ago

"refused to disable my bell so I dumped my rom and made the changes outlined by timmo "

My game gives a short ring.

I keep saying "hello...?"

When I play really well I say "Bueller...?

Had to say it.

#117 3 years ago

Working on a Laser Cue for a friend of mine. Lots of hacks im trying to clean up. May need pics from you guys soon. Cool game.

#118 3 years ago

I need photos of the two right flipper coils. My left flippers are working properly. Looks like someone tried to replace the right side with newer coils but the wiring must be wrong when i start to press the right flipper button the GI lights start to dim but the solenoids dont fire.

Thanks for any assistance.

#119 3 years ago

Let me know what you need, happy to help.

20210106_223332 (resized).jpg20210106_223332 (resized).jpg20210106_223415 (resized).jpg20210106_223415 (resized).jpg20210106_223435 (resized).jpg20210106_223435 (resized).jpg
#120 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Let me know what you need, happy to help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have the schematics by chance? Some of my colors arent matching up to your photos and I'd rather not guess.

#121 3 years ago

Will these work?

20210107_145156 (resized).jpg20210107_145156 (resized).jpg20210107_145132 (resized).jpg20210107_145132 (resized).jpg20210107_145220 (resized).jpg20210107_145220 (resized).jpg
#122 3 years ago

Yep, that helped a lot. I got them both wired back in correctly. But only my upper right flipper is working. The lower right does nothing.

I have ~70V at both flipper coils.
I have continuity between the ground wire (blue purple) at the coil and the cabinet button(blue purple).

What am I missing here?

20210107_160536 (resized).jpg20210107_160536 (resized).jpg
#123 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Yep, that helped a lot. I got them both wired back in correctly. But only my upper right flipper is working. The lower right does nothing.
I have ~70V at both flipper coils.
I have continuity between the ground wire (blue purple) at the coil and the cabinet button(blue purple).
What am I missing here? [quoted image]

your EOS switches look very worn. If they can't pass the current the pull in coil won't work and the hold coil doesn't have the strength to do so. You can test this by using a jumper wire across the EOS. If it works then you know the EOS is the problem. DO NOT Hold the coil or leave the jumper wire on or you can burn up the coil. This is for quick flips only to verify the switch is the problem

#124 3 years ago

I realized after a quick glance again at the left and right cabinet flipper switches. The left side had 3 lugs where the right one had 4 lugs. The (blue purple) wire couldnt reach the (orange purple) so I bridged the two middle lugs together and now both right flippers are working great.

Ive still got to order a master display board, rubber kit, and figure out why I have no sound. But its getting closer. Thanks for the schematic pictures henrydwh IPDB had the manual but no schematics.

20210107_190458 (resized).jpg20210107_190458 (resized).jpg
#125 3 years ago

FLASHBALL the right flipper button is also is the lane change button, that is why left has 3 lugs and the right has 4. Lane change is where you can move the lights that spell pool at the top of the play field around. (sorry if you already know that)
I don't mean to be condescending, but did you make sure the volume is turned up? There is a potentiometer in the cabinet. It's on the left side under the tilt mechanism.

Glad to help!

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

did you make sure the volume is turned up?

Yeah, Its turned up. The test button on the sound board creates one sound and repeats it over and over. No sounds play during game or during sound test.

Unfortunately today while trying different tests I realized that my MPU is booting..... but with a 7 in the display. The manual shows 7 indicates ROM failure. So it looks like I'll be sending my boards back to Eugene.

SmartSelect_20210108-143129_Drive (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20210108-143129_Drive (resized).jpgreceived_710874109617388 (resized).jpegreceived_710874109617388 (resized).jpeg
#127 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Yeah, Its turned up. The test button on the sound board creates one sound and repeats it over and over. No sounds play during game or during sound test.
Unfortunately today while trying different tests I realized that my MPU is booting..... but with a 7 in the display. The manual shows 7 indicates ROM failure. So it looks like I'll be sending my boards back to Eugene. [quoted image][quoted image]

That sucks! Good luck and keep us posted.

#128 3 years ago

I'm wondering what the status is of plastics and bumper caps for this title.
I own a Firepower II and these titles share the same kind of "unloved" status from pinball snobs: no replacement parts, backglasses, plastics, etc.

Those of us who have played these titles tend to have a special place for them.

We are trying to find out about a hard top for FP2...wondering if you guys might have some interest in pop bumper caps...and if there are other titles that share our "generic system 7/cost-cutting" Williams caps.

#129 3 years ago

I'm still jealous that you guys have the only "clothing optional" club on Pinside.
While I have not yet read the club thread in the nude, I'm sure the time is coming as the pandemic wears on.

#130 3 years ago

Looks so good cleared. I'm going to let it cure for a couple months before I swap.

PXL_20210110_011410508 (resized).jpgPXL_20210110_011410508 (resized).jpgPXL_20210110_011430198 (resized).jpgPXL_20210110_011430198 (resized).jpg
#131 3 years ago

Anyone near KC thinking of selling? Not much to trade on my end, maybe a Zac Pool Champion.

#132 3 years ago

I'm so pumped right now! I'm picking up my 1st pin on Saturday. If there were not 25-30 mph winds with 55 mph gusts and a 90% chance of snow I'd be driving to get it Friday.

I'm told the playfield definitely has some wear on it otherwise everything is functioning well.

Always wanted my own pin and I think this game is a great way to improve my pin skills at a reasonable price. I love that you have to use the whole playfield and it makes me work on my accuracy. When leagues do get started again I'm hoping I can get to the next level on my pin skills as we have a pretty active pin community.

I don't know how hard it is find Laser Cue playfield but I may be in the market for one in the future.

Are there any mods that any of you have done that you feel drastically improves this game? I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to pinballs but super excited to join the club!

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from JustinJohnson:

Are there any mods that any of you have done that you feel drastically improves this game? I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to pinballs but super excited to join the club!

Hammer down or remove the rail between the two right flippers. This will quickly teach you how to avoid scissor drains, which will help on other games like Harlem and Paragon.

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Hammer down or remove the rail between the two right flippers. This will quickly teach you how to avoid scissor drains, which will help on other games like Harlem and Paragon.

I have some experience in that playing a Starship Troopers. But I love the fact that this game can be made tougher just by doing what you say.

#135 3 years ago

Laser Cue needs a Hard Top. We need to get it on their list.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

What exactly is a "Hard Top"? Out of chance I was checking out the planned Pinbrewfest in Ohio coming up in April and I found this https://www.pinbrewfest.com/Hardtop-Homecoming-pinbrew

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Never mind I found what I needed to know. I agree hopefully someday Laser Cue will make their list. http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html

#138 3 years ago

Hardtops are awesome when they aren't defective. Nothing like spending 20+ hours delicately preparing a playfield for a hardtop just to find out yours had a defective batch of adhesive and starts lifting up and separating, progressively getting worse each time you play after finishing.

Just a handful of bad experiences shouldn't discredit an awesome product. But man, that was a tough one to swallow.

received_393747268625275 (resized).jpegreceived_393747268625275 (resized).jpegreceived_719095808720562 (resized).jpegreceived_719095808720562 (resized).jpeg
#139 3 years ago

It is pretty tough to get on Outside Edge's list to do a hardtop.
They are a business after all and they want to sell enough units to justify the cost and turn a profit...
They refused to do Firepower 2 (another underappreciated System 7).
greatwichjohn is working toward permissions and art to do a run of repro playfields and plastics for Firepower 2.
Details are necessarily light at this point.

Perhaps Laser Cue might be another name he'd be interested in.
Somebody is going to need to lend a decent playfield and set of plastics (or the scans--you'd really need to ask him what he could be willing to do and what he needs).

#140 3 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what the 3rd flipper button on the R side of my Laser Cue would be for? I looked at the images and the only other pic I see showing the R side does not have a 3rd button like mine does. I was thinking it controlled another flipper but that isn't the case.

138612640_411094566636389_4635647150538218208_n (resized).jpg138612640_411094566636389_4635647150538218208_n (resized).jpg
#141 3 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what the 3rd flipper button on the R side of my Laser Cue would be for? I looked at the images and the only other pic I see showing the R side does not have a 3rd button like mine does. I was thinking it controlled another flipper but that isn't the case.
[quoted image]

That is 'custom'. You will have to post pics of what is wired to that button to solve the mystery.

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

That is 'custom'. You will have to post pics of what is wired to that button to solve the mystery.

Yeah I'll dig into it a little deeper and see what I can see and get some pics posted up for everyone. It definitely looked custom to me too. The previous owner had about 5 pins all of which he didn't wax the playfield..ever. So there is some wear on my playfield but that's about all that I saw wrong. Oh and the tilt bob triangle/cone thing seems to be missing too.

#143 3 years ago

I'm so pumped right now! I'm picking up my 1st pin on Saturday.
Always wanted my own pin and I think this game is a great way to improve my pin skills at a reasonable price. I love that you have to use the whole playfield and it makes me work on my accuracy. When leagues do get started again I'm hoping I can get to the next level on my pin skills as we have a pretty active pin community.

Congrats! Nothing beats that giddy feeling the first time you have a pinball machine in your home. I think it's a great first pin, and it will definitely sharpen your skills. Hopefully you can play the hell out of it, see what needs dialed in, and work from there to tighten it up.

1 month later
#144 3 years ago

Okay so I made a mistake. Slid my playfield out a little ways to reach the plastics and GI bulbs in the back and as Im changing out bulbs with the power on I start to smell a buring smell. I shut the game off and realize I have let the playfield rest on the lugs of the flipper coils. Crap. I ho ahead and fix the playfield position and finish swapping GI and put it all back together. When I power up, I see that now I have no power to the flippers.

Digging a little deeper I first check the fuse on the flipper power supply. Should be a 5Amp. But its a 25 amp. Great... I can see I have AC power from the smaller transformer (although it seems low) but no DC power on the flipper power supply.

Since this fuse was obviously overfused, what possibly shorted out?

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Okay so I made a mistake. Slid my playfield out a little ways to reach the plastics and GI bulbs in the back and as Im changing out bulbs with the power on I start to smell a buring smell. I shut the game off and realize I have let the playfield rest on the lugs of the flipper coils. Crap. I ho ahead and fix the playfield position and finish swapping GI and put it all back together. When I power up, I see that now I have no power to the flippers.
Digging a little deeper I first check the fuse on the flipper power supply. Should be a 5Amp. But its a 25 amp. Great... I can see I have AC power from the smaller transformer (although it seems low) but no DC power on the flipper power supply.
Since this fuse was obviously overfused, what possibly shorted out?

Look at the back of the flipper supply board, you might have some burned traces from the over-fuse.

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Look at the back of the flipper supply board, you might have some burned traces from the over-fuse.

Bingo! Found a lifted trace and a completely burned trace. Glued the lifted trace back down with clear nail polish and jumped the broken one.

All fixed now! Thanks!

received_2761372984116090 (resized).jpegreceived_2761372984116090 (resized).jpegreceived_456830185503413 (resized).jpegreceived_456830185503413 (resized).jpegreceived_722271741792411 (resized).jpegreceived_722271741792411 (resized).jpeg
#147 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Bingo! Found a lifted trace and a completely burned trace. Glued the lifted trace back down with clear nail polish and jumped the broken one.
All fixed now! Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

With that much of an over-fuse, you just discovered the "new fuse" was the traces

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

With that much of an over-fuse, you just discovered the "new fuse" was the traces

Yeah no kidding!!! It was a 25amp!

1 month later
#149 2 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of their bell/ knocker wiring? Mines all hacked up and need help.

#150 2 years ago

Not the clearest picture, but the best I've got - maybe it helps?

IMG_6415 (resized).JPGIMG_6415 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-club-clothing-optional/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.