• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3788 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230615_150944339 (resized).jpg
soda (resized).jpg
Williams_Laser_Cue_Coil_Wrappers.pdf (PDF preview)
DSC_6501 (resized).JPG
0D31F413-8301-4DBC-97E8-E05A8BB839D0 (resized).jpeg
AF438215-D980-45A8-8348-F6EC05A15351 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20210906_221954530 (resized).jpg
500D1040-9C13-48E2-BFC4-04C71A7C01FE (resized).jpeg
IMG_6415 (resized).JPG
received_722271741792411 (resized).jpeg
received_456830185503413 (resized).jpeg
received_2761372984116090 (resized).jpeg
138612640_411094566636389_4635647150538218208_n (resized).jpg
received_719095808720562 (resized).jpeg
received_393747268625275 (resized).jpeg
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 4 years ago

I have an issue with drop target #5. When I first got the game, all drops worked. After about a week or so the coil on drop target #5 burnt up. When it burnt up, and to prevent other damage, we simply cut the single "grey" wire to the coil. So after several weeks, I finally bought a new coil and replaced it today. The coil works, as I confirmed this by running an alligator clip from the ground wire to the single wire lug on the coil and it fires. However, when the game resets all the drops, #5 will not reset. I've doubled checked all wiring and can't seem to find anything wrong that would prevent the target from resetting. Any thoughts on what I should look for?

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I have an issue with drop target #5. When I first got the game, all drops worked. After about a week or so the coil on drop target #5 burnt up. When it burnt up, and to prevent other damage, we simply cut the single "grey" wire to the coil. So after several weeks, I finally bought a new coil and replaced it today. The coil works, as I confirmed this by running an alligator clip from the ground wire to the single wire lug on the coil and it fires. However, when the game resets all the drops, #5 will not reset. I've doubled checked all wiring and can't seem to find anything wrong that would prevent the target from resetting. Any thoughts on what I should look for?

If the previous coil locked on long enough to actually burn up, the drive/predrive transistors are damaged. Since the new coil isn't firing via the driver board, the transistor failed open or it got hot enough to burn open a connection/trace on the driver board.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

If the previous coil locked on long enough to actually burn up, the drive/predrive transistors are damaged. Since the new coil isn't firing via the driver board, the transistor failed open or it got hot enough to burn open a connection/trace on the driver board.

Is there something I can do to test the resistors to confirm they are bad?

#54 4 years ago

Yes if you have a digital multimeter.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Yes if you have a digital multimeter.

I do, just not sure what steps I need to take. I can do the simple stuff like soldering, replacing parts, and testing fuses. Just not too familiar with diagnosing issues on the boards.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

You are saying that the coil isn't firing, or it fires but the target won't reset?

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I do, just not sure what steps I need to take. I can do the simple stuff like soldering, replacing parts, and testing fuses. Just not too familiar with diagnosing issues on the boards.

It is pretty easy. Although I would just go to pin wiki or google test transistor. I haven't done it in ages. I know there are three legs and you need to connect your multimeter and test in diode mode (I think). It is not hard although I think you need to desolder and remove the part. I am not sure you can test on the board. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

#59 4 years ago

Looks like q25 and q24 control the fifth drop target.

#60 4 years ago

What is a reasonable price for a fully working laser cue in decent players shape?

#61 4 years ago

I sold mine a few months ago for 1200 which was a really nice example. New mpu, power supply, NOS backglass and the playfield was in a good condition. Players condition but works and with clean boards...I would say 7-800.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I sold mine a few months ago for 1200

Mine isn't that nice, but I didn't pay that much, so I guess I feel okay. Just joined the club. pretty clean example.

Has anyone ever tried to alter the strange naked guy artwork? any success? The rest of it is nice, but those guys are weird.

3 weeks later
#63 4 years ago

Has anyone created alternate decals for the spinner or drop targets? The firepower spinner and explosion drop decals that were used on a ton of machines don't seem to fit.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Has anyone ever tried to alter the strange naked guy artwork? any success? The rest of it is nice, but those guys are weird.

You mean like “modesty armor”? Embrace the strange, it’s what keeps this game affordable.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You mean like “modesty armor”? Embrace the strange, it’s what keeps this game affordable.

I like affordable...and the game is so well designed.....but.....

I'm thinking of something that could be removed to keep the machine original, but something that would improve things now.

#66 4 years ago

I have some custom decals I've created for the drop targets and the spinner. The originals didn't make much sense to me. The spinner decal creates an animation of the laser cue shooting the ball.

Let me know if you are interested in a set.

DSCN2403 (resized).JPGDSCN2403 (resized).JPGDSCN2405 (resized).JPGDSCN2405 (resized).JPGDSCN2406 (resized).JPGDSCN2406 (resized).JPG
#67 4 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I have some custom decals I've created for the drop targets and the spinner. The originals didn't make much sense to me. The spinner decal creates an animation of the laser cue shooting the ball.
Let me know if you are interested in a set.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interested.

#68 4 years ago

Spinner decals are cool, but those drop target decals are not my thing

1 week later
#69 4 years ago

Just gotta say that this game, when tuned, plays hella fun. Getting the drops in order, the left and right stand ups, and the 8-ball shots are awesome. Take off the bar in between the right flippers and you've got yourself a seriously great game. I love the bell!

#70 4 years ago

I say it all the time, this is a very under rated game! Love it when you make the 8 ball shot for the extra ball, all the lights flash and the bell goes off!

1 week later
#71 4 years ago

Hello fellow space pool enthusiasts! I am a brand new owner of this machine and although I haven't played a game yet, it looks awesome and can't wait to get mine working. If any of y'all would like to help me out a bit with diagnosing the issues I have with my machine I made a thread up here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-project-troubleshooting-williams-system-7#post-5173683

By the way, I am new-ish to pinside and this is my first machine that I am putting the work into myself. I have already spent far too many hours at work reading all about System 7 and this game. Loving it!

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#72 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Quoted from gutz:

Looks like q25 and q24 control the fifth drop target.

So I tested q25, it was bad. Replaced it, still can't get the drop target to work. I didn't not test or replace q24 (oversight on my part when reading this thread). So I guess I will try that next.

#73 4 years ago

CPR just released New Laser Cue Plastics:
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/lasercue/

Laser Cue Plastics (resized).jpgLaser Cue Plastics (resized).jpg
#75 4 years ago

Still having an issue with drop target #5. When I first got the game, all drops worked. After about a week or so the coil on drop target #5 burned up. When it burned up, and to prevent other damage, we simply cut the single "grey" wire to the coil. So after several weeks, I finally bought a new coil and replaced it. The coil works, as I confirmed this by running an alligator clip from the ground wire to the single wire lug on the coil and it fires. However, when the game resets all the drops, #5 will not reset. I've doubled checked all wiring and can't seem to find anything wrong that would prevent the target from resetting.

I confirmed that q25 and q24 control the fifth drop target and both tested bad, replaced both of them but drop #5 still doesn't reset.

Also, I hooked a jumper from drop 4 to drop 5, started the game and can confirm the coil works and the target resets.

What else can I look at from here?

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Still having an issue with drop target #5. When I first got the game, all drops worked. After about a week or so the coil on drop target #5 burned up. When it burned up, and to prevent other damage, we simply cut the single "grey" wire to the coil. So after several weeks, I finally bought a new coil and replaced it. The coil works, as I confirmed this by running an alligator clip from the ground wire to the single wire lug on the coil and it fires. However, when the game resets all the drops, #5 will not reset. I've doubled checked all wiring and can't seem to find anything wrong that would prevent the target from resetting.
I confirmed that q25 and q24 control the fifth drop target and both tested bad, replaced both of them but drop #5 still doesn't reset.
Also, I hooked a jumper from drop 4 to drop 5, started the game and can confirm the coil works and the target resets.
What else can I look at from here?

In my limited experience, when you have a driver go bad, you usually want to replace the diode, pre-driver, and driver all in one go. The reason being is that if one of the 3 have failed, and you replace the one that you think is bad, but isn't, then you'll still end up blowing one or more of the components.

Have you repinned both sides of the 40 pin connector? If not, you should do this first before doing any further troubleshooting. Afterwards, I would suggest replacing the diode on the coil, the pre-driver, and the driver (again) all at one time. Also check to make sure there isn't grounding any of the components (the coil, the connectors, the board(s) etc.)

1 week later
#77 4 years ago

What's the story with getting a replacement Laser Cue backglass?

Is it tough? Easy?

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

CPR is working on the artwork for the Backglass.....

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

CPR is working on the artwork for the Backglass.....

They are also working on the playfield art.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

They are also working on the playfield art.

repro playfield or hard top?

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

CPR does the full playfield, not overlay.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Is it tough? Easy?

I got one from Mayfair at a convention for like 90 bucks 2 years ago. I would check with them first.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Playfield....CPR doesn't do the hardtops or overlays

#84 4 years ago

I just picked up a Laser Cue. The right apron says this game has the lane change feature, however pressing the right button doesn't activate it like it normally would. My first thought is the switch itself, but I'm assuming since the button makes the flippers fire, the switch itself isn't at fault. Is there something up stream that controls the lane change feature to check out?

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from sublime90803:

I just picked up a Laser Cue. The right apron says this game has the lane change feature, however pressing the right button doesn't activate it like it normally would. My first thought is the switch itself, but I'm assuming since the button makes the flippers fire, the switch itself isn't at fault. Is there something up stream that controls the lane change feature to check out?

There is a lane change switch stacked (but insulated from high power) on the flipper eos switch. The issue is likely the switch, diode, or wiring.

#86 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try replacing the whole switch. It has a large orange disc hanging from it. Not sure if that's an 80's style diode or what it is. If I order a new switch would I have to install a diode?

#87 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try replacing the whole switch. It has a large orange disc hanging from it. Not sure if that's an 80's style diode or what it is. If I order a new switch would I have to install a diode?

Thats the flipper cabinet switch, leave it alone as its not your issue. The lane change switch is on the flipper mech, under the playfield.

#88 4 years ago

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I thought it was controlled by the cabinet switch. I just rebuilt all 4 flippers with new EOS switches. There is a separate lane change switch under one of the 4 flipper mechs?

#89 4 years ago

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I thought it was controlled by the cabinet switch. I just rebuilt all 4 flippers with new EOS switches. There is a separate lane change switch under one of the 4 flipper mechs?

There's a lane change switch (stacked) on the lower right flipper EOS switch. If you rebuilt and changed all 4 EOS switches, you should have handled it at least one time.

#90 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I was wondering why there were two switches on the right flipper. One was the lane change switch. It was bent too much and wouldn't open. A simple adjustment and it's working again. Thanks for everyone's advice!

#91 4 years ago

Hello! Would someone mind snapping a picture of the wiring for their drop target solenoids? I'm in the middle of rebuilding them but, as the idiot I am, I cut off the diodes and forgot to take pictures. Much appreciated!

15711887120974907921230797095476 (resized).jpg15711887120974907921230797095476 (resized).jpg
#92 4 years ago

See if this helps.

34D7A965-4ECA-4A65-9BCA-0F87454628CC (resized).jpeg34D7A965-4ECA-4A65-9BCA-0F87454628CC (resized).jpeg3DF02854-2B15-404E-9743-22A559DCFF6D (resized).jpeg3DF02854-2B15-404E-9743-22A559DCFF6D (resized).jpegBB1ED3E0-4DBE-405A-BB9F-0A1D030A04F5 (resized).jpegBB1ED3E0-4DBE-405A-BB9F-0A1D030A04F5 (resized).jpegD0FBA035-0463-4E3A-AD31-3C651CEA1CD2 (resized).jpegD0FBA035-0463-4E3A-AD31-3C651CEA1CD2 (resized).jpegF1EA2854-C2F8-4A72-A9A4-F19F87234655 (resized).jpegF1EA2854-C2F8-4A72-A9A4-F19F87234655 (resized).jpeg
#93 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

See if this helps.

You're a beauty! Thank you!

#94 4 years ago

Looking for a nos or repro backglass for LaserCue I acquired ar Expo. Thanks!

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Looking for a nos or repro backglass for LaserCue I acquired ar Expo. Thanks!

CPR is working on doing a Laser Cue backglass soon.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

CPR is working on doing a Laser Cue backglass soon.

Thanks!

#97 4 years ago

Just sold my LC to make space and help fund a new game. Sad

Hope to be able to pick up another one some day though.

#98 4 years ago

Thanks to FatPanda for an easy sale - I was able to pick this one up last night. He did great work on this one and it's playing really strong, so this should just be one I can just setup and play (after I finish my basement rehab).

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Just sold my LC to make space and help fund a new game. Sad
Hope to be able to pick up another one some day though.

Chexx Hockey coming? I know you mentioned it. Good luck.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Chexx Hockey coming? I know you mentioned it. Good luck.

No, I don't have room for a Chexx. Would love to have space for one though. Someday. I'm hopefully picking up a LOTR this Saturday

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-club-clothing-optional/page/2?hl=drewbo81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.