• Latest reply 2 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0470 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Have not dug into this one yet, but figured I would ask if anyone knows the proper bell hookup for Laser Cue, mine was disconnected Q41 tests OK, so I am hoping to just hook it back up. Attached a picture of what I am looking at. Thanks for any help.

IMG_0470 (resized).jpgIMG_0470 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

There is a Laser Cue club thread and you might find info on there.

But the reds are coil +ve supply and will go to the coil at the banded end of the diode. The brown / blue from Q41 will go to the bell switch and the other side of the switch will go to the coil at the non banded diode side. When the coil energises via Q41 the hammer is pulled in to strike the bells and the switch opens to break the coil circuit allowing the hammer to return to rest and this completes the circuit again and so on.

The bell is cool, rings when you drop a target in correct order and when you get extra ball.

#3 2 years ago

It could have been disconnected because of the bell bug.

Get the bonus multiplier up high enough and a special will light on the outlane. Collect the special and the bell will start ringing. The only way to stop the bell is to make the bell ring again by collecting the next ball.

There is an updated from to fix this if it is the problem

#4 2 years ago

Thank you Both for the information. Helps a lot.

#5 2 years ago

Yeah - the bell bug can be pretty annoying even in home use. I ran into it multiple times. I can only imagine how often it would happen on route. I've done the fix to my own eeproms and while it's nice not to get the bug, the alerting of the extra ball is a little lack luster. It sure beats going deaf while playing though!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

There is an updated rom to fix this if it is the problem

Hmmm can you point me to where the updated rom is? Shouldn't be too hard to compare original vs. fixed and then fix the fix, as it were. I assume L2 on IPDB is the current, buggy version?

Sounds like the bugged version started the bell on the outlane but then the thread gets killed by the outhole that would normally time/kill the bell, and they forgot to put a line in the next ball thread that would just stop the bell.

What it really should do I'd think is let the special award timer run out before starting the outhole routine.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Hmmm can you point me to where the updated rom is? Shouldn't be too hard to compare original vs. fixed and then fix the fix, as it were. I assume L2 on IPDB is the current, buggy version?
Sounds like the bugged version started the bell on the outlane but then the thread gets killed by the outhole that would normally time/kill the bell, and they forgot to put a line in the next ball thread that would just stop the bell.
What it really should do I'd think is let the special award timer run out before starting the outhole routine.

Looks like it's a manual edit.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-rom-hack-to-fix-never-ending-bell

#8 2 years ago

Yeah, I manually edited mine and wrote it. Looks like there is one here too: https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/4192-laser-cue-l-3/?tab=details
Can't speak to its accuracy, but the tags do seem to suggest it also has the bell fix applied.

#9 2 years ago

gotcha, hex edits no problem. Also I can see why it ended up with just the pulse instead of whatever WMS intended it to do. (Likely run the entire activation thread until its end, where it turns it off.... but the thread ID probably lets it get killed by the outhole routine so it never turns off).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-bell-wiring-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.