(Topic ID: 206226)

wms sys3-6: sols 1-8 fire at power on... RESET problem?

By OHMI_Arcade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ohmi_arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

When I switch on the power to my Williams Laser Ball all of the solenoids fire once (all at once.. not sequenced). Can anyone confirm that this is (or is not) normal? Seems odd to fire the solenoids all at once upon power up. Thanks!

#3 6 years ago

Thanks... will look at that. Didn't think it made sense.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

From the schematic it appears that the blanking signal must be high (5v) to enable a solenoid to fire (blanking signal is 'ANDed' with the PIA sol output signal). The MPU activates the blanking signal (5V) once it has successfully booted and is able to control the PIA outputs.

I've put an o-scope on TP4 (blanking) and see the 5V signal. Obviously when I turn off the machine it falls back to 0V. I then pulled a rom (to ensure that the MPU doesn't properly startup) and turned on the machine. The blanking signal stayed 0V (as expected)... thereby proving that the blanking signal wasn't shorted on. I also checked the blanking signal on the Driver board and it looks ok. So... the blanking signal appears to be working normally.

I'm now suspicious of the RESET circuit. On my machine the RESET signal goes high immediately upon application of power. One document I have says that there should be a 1 second delay. Another document says 1ms. Obviously a major difference. Anyone know which is correct?

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ohmi_arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-ball-all-sols-fire-at-power-on?tu=ohmi_arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.