Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by desiArnez
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210514-IMG_5961 (resized).jpg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    shaq (resized).jpg
    IMG_0371 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0373 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0372 (resized).JPEG
    AF882CFF-FADF-457E-AE58-143BF149870D (resized).jpeg
    8AD75A0B-9BE6-49A6-838A-6FB8CDDF5804 (resized).jpeg
    EA566ACC-703C-4EBE-BF6F-D5BF27BC3831 (resized).jpeg
    CC9D2D6A-2E57-44DE-8BD1-CA04B5D20F17 (resized).jpeg
    9960E102-4CE0-4151-A126-F1715B7001E7 (resized).jpeg
    18B7D36C-C5D1-4FF7-95D8-D656C75712CE.jpeg
    249F87EA-309F-46DA-A19E-195D0F269CB2.jpeg
    AA1D12EE-4D1A-4C3E-9A5F-6923D4CA7646.jpeg
    F30A71F2-0998-45DE-ABDD-BD88FFD4C217 (resized).jpeg
    9A79EC7A-9565-456E-B02D-7E7FD674751D (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Have you been a customer of Las Vegas Playfields, or seen with your own eyes a playfield that Las Vegas Playfields restored? I've got a 1950s game with areas of playfield paint loss, areas of delaminating paint, and lots of prior touch-up. I want to have the playfield restored, and I'd appreciate any feedback about your experience with Las Vegas Playfields' work. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Never heard of them but looking at their gallery photos …. Not sure I would use them. Some of their “after” photos don’t look all that great.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Never heard of them but looking at their gallery photos …. Not sure I would use them. Some of their “after” photos don’t look all that great.

Thank you for that comment. Can you point out where you thought their work could have been better? I have no experience with playfield restoration, and I thought what I saw looked good. Here's a link for anyone following along:

http://www.lasvegasplayfields.com/gallery/before-and-after/

#4 2 years ago

I have seen their playfield work and it is excellent. They also had a booth at the Chicago Pinball Expo and they are planning to be at the Texas pinball show. Tim, the owner of LV Playfields, is an extremely nice guy.

#5 2 years ago

I forget the name of a very reputable playfield restorer but he did join forces with LVP and gave them his seal of approval. They use all the same techniques that he used.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from mslow:

I forget the name of a very reputable playfield restorer but he did join forces with LVP and gave them his seal of approval. They use all the same techniques that he used.

That was HSA Pinball.
    http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/Playfield_Restoration.html

#7 2 years ago

It’s was HSA

9A79EC7A-9565-456E-B02D-7E7FD674751D (resized).png9A79EC7A-9565-456E-B02D-7E7FD674751D (resized).png
    #8 2 years ago

Their work looks good. They restored some really roached playfields. The thing I notice though is that they have restored some playfields with the inserts still cracked. I remember with HSA besides all their great hand painted detail work is that they also replaced the bad inserts.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I have seen their playfield work and it is excellent. They also had a booth at the Chicago Pinball Expo and they are planning to be at the Texas pinball show. Tim, the owner of LV Playfields, is an extremely nice guy.

Is Tim Arnold the owner?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from BlackCatBone:

Is Tim Arnold the owner?

No. It is a different Tim. The guy who owns Las Vegas playfields is Tim Crowley. His contact info should be on his website.

#11 2 years ago

Has anyone tried their clearcoat on newer stern playfields?

I have unpopulated stern playfields that just need new clearcoat, no restoration.

#12 2 years ago

He did a star gazer for me and the clearcoat was nice.

#13 2 years ago

He did a Power Play nos clearcoat for me and it turned out very nice. He is a friendly guy. Just give him a call and chat with him.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Returner:

I have unpopulated stern playfields that just need new clearcoat, no restoration.

Newer Stern playfields, yes. Since Tim @ LV Playfields uses the HSA Pinball process so it is exactly the same prep and brand of clear coating of HSA. I seen his clear coat first hand and it is top notch.

#15 2 years ago

Thanks for your interest in Las Vegas Playfields, I don't check the forum much but I will try more often. I did take over from HSA about 3 years ago. They did excellent work and I wanted to see that continue. I do know Tim Arnold but the PHOF and my operation are completely different. I appreciate all his hard work with the PHOF though. Regarding your comments:

Quoted from meSz:

Not sure what photos you are seeing but I will address anything specific if asked. I can tell you playfield restoration is often difficult and we work with what we are sent.

Quoted from exflexer:

Their work looks good. They restored some really roached playfields. The thing I notice though is that they have restored some playfields with the inserts still cracked. I remember with HSA besides all their great hand painted detail work is that they also replaced the bad inserts.

Thanks for your comments, we do a lot of playfields that others would pass on. Many will never be reproduced and we work with owners to save those games. I do replace cracked inserts, when I can get them. There can be other issues that prevent insert replacement but we work with owners on each specific issue. Rest assured that we will do whatever insert work is necessary, as long as the inserts are available.

Quoted from jj44114:

He did a star gazer for me and the clearcoat was nice.

I remember your Stargazer, fun playfield to work on. Your Joust is done except for final sanding and buffing.

Quoted from Returner:

Our clear coat works great on newer Stern playfields. It will protect from most dimpling issues as well.

Quoted from rstrunks:

He did a Power Play nos clearcoat for me and it turned out very nice. He is a friendly guy. Just give him a call and chat with him.

I remember your playfield too, rstrunks has been a customer from early on and in pinball for a very long time! Thanks for your support.

We are proud to continue with the materials and techniques that were pioneered by HSA over their 15 year span. Playfield restoration is not easy or particularly profitable. It does allow our cherished games to live on. I'll be happy to address any playfield questions or issues on this forum or you can contact me directly through our lasvegasplayfields.com website.

Additionally, we can usually restore and clearcoat your WPC era playfield for less money that a reproduction playfield. At least then your playfield will have the correct colors, the holes will line up properly and it will have a vastly superior finish. Just a thought.

3 weeks later
    #16 2 years ago

I just got a Gemini playfield back from Tim. I don’t know how they do what they do. I am quite satisfied with the quality of the restoration. I would send Las Vegas Playfields another project without hesitation.

#17 2 years ago

Here is a photo.

F30A71F2-0998-45DE-ABDD-BD88FFD4C217 (resized).jpegF30A71F2-0998-45DE-ABDD-BD88FFD4C217 (resized).jpeg
    11 months later
    #19 1 year ago

Just received my refurbished Qbert’s Quest playfield, looks absolutely amazing!

18B7D36C-C5D1-4FF7-95D8-D656C75712CE.jpeg18B7D36C-C5D1-4FF7-95D8-D656C75712CE.jpeg249F87EA-309F-46DA-A19E-195D0F269CB2.jpeg249F87EA-309F-46DA-A19E-195D0F269CB2.jpegAA1D12EE-4D1A-4C3E-9A5F-6923D4CA7646.jpegAA1D12EE-4D1A-4C3E-9A5F-6923D4CA7646.jpeg
    #20 1 year ago

That looks amazing! I am planning on sending a Top Score playfield (after it gets here). What was the turnaround time, and did you have any issues redrilling the holes for the pops, guides, or rails? Did you refinish the Reese rails yourself? (And nice shooter lane! It looks great!)

#21 1 year ago

I haven’t done anything with it yet, I’m letting the clear cure for a while. They recommend to predrill the holes through the clear before you mount anything and don’t over tighten.

I sent the playfield out early June, so at least a 6-month turnaround.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

I haven’t done anything with it yet, I’m letting the clear cure for a while. They recommend to predrill the holes through the clear before you mount anything and don’t over tighten.
    I sent the playfield out early June, so at least a 6-month turnaround.

100% pre drill out the holes. Kruzman who is another playfield guy on here has a whole kit he sells for predrilling out the holes it works great.

#23 1 year ago

I did see the kit that Kruzman sells - I'll have to get that when the time comes. Thank you for sharing your pics and feedback on them! I wish I had the time (and patience, and skill, and tools, and space) to do it myself but I'd rther send it to someone who knows what they are doing so it doesn't get hacked up by me.

3 months later
    #24 11 months ago

I got to see with my own eyes (in person) the incredible work “Las Vegas Playfields” does on several playfield restores, with a clear coat that gave me goosebumps after seeing, and touching, the quality of their work.
    P.S. pics don’t capture the in-person beauty/quality of their work. The clear coat blew my mind!

8AD75A0B-9BE6-49A6-838A-6FB8CDDF5804 (resized).jpeg8AD75A0B-9BE6-49A6-838A-6FB8CDDF5804 (resized).jpegEA566ACC-703C-4EBE-BF6F-D5BF27BC3831 (resized).jpegEA566ACC-703C-4EBE-BF6F-D5BF27BC3831 (resized).jpegAF882CFF-FADF-457E-AE58-143BF149870D (resized).jpegAF882CFF-FADF-457E-AE58-143BF149870D (resized).jpegCC9D2D6A-2E57-44DE-8BD1-CA04B5D20F17 (resized).jpegCC9D2D6A-2E57-44DE-8BD1-CA04B5D20F17 (resized).jpeg9960E102-4CE0-4151-A126-F1715B7001E7 (resized).jpeg9960E102-4CE0-4151-A126-F1715B7001E7 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
    #25 9 months ago

“Las Vegas Playfields” has done several restorations for me. I am extremely satisfied with both the work and the follow-up, as such work can take some time.

p.s. pics don't capture the in-person beauty/quality of their work. The clear coat blew my mind!

Thanks Tim Crowley
    IMG_0371 (resized).JPEGIMG_0371 (resized).JPEGIMG_0372 (resized).JPEGIMG_0372 (resized).JPEGIMG_0373 (resized).JPEGIMG_0373 (resized).JPEG

#26 9 months ago

They don’t seem to want business. I messaged them on their website and zero reply. And sadly I am close enough to them to deliver and pick up.

#27 9 months ago

They’re constantly having trouble getting messages from their website, but I’ve had them do a restoration on my Canada Dry and a clear coat and insert leveling on my NOS Eight Ball. Both came out beautifully

3 weeks later
    #28 8 months ago

I rarely check into pinside, but LVP did a full artwork and clear on my SHAQ ATTAQ donor playfield. Laugh all you want but I rebuilt this from the transformer up and enjoyed that as much or more than playing pinball. It's also a great game.

Las Vegas Playfields (found through HSA) not only recreated impossible artwork like parquet floors but laid down a brilliantly smooth clear. It should be noted that I requested it to be extra thick and it took time to cure. His pro cess took about eight months but I highly recommend allowing time for the oil-based clear to continue to cure before repopulating. Science.

My impression is that Tim, my contact there, is just another pinhead who does this for the love of the game. Right on.

This is an unsolicited review based on personal experience. Image taken with glass on.

Clear coat is a difficult animal. if you don't give it enough time to chemically cure (wait until it stops off gassing) it will pool or your posts will leave little depressions. The dimpling process is your biggest worry but fortunately there's a Vid's Guide for that. Know what you're getting into on that.

So... TL/DR? I'd happily send him another.

shaq (resized).jpgshaq (resized).jpg
    #29 8 months ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

So... TL/DR? I'd happily send him another.[quoted image]

The before/after pic.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

20210514-IMG_5961 (resized).jpg20210514-IMG_5961 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/las-vegas-playfields-feedback and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.