Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jfre81
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've really been wanting to buy a Ghostbusters, but when I play it at the store I agree with everyone else, it's not fun because the flippers are so far apart and the games are too quick. Is it possible to replace the flippers with longer ones?
If so, do you think this would fix the high difficulty of the game?

#2 6 years ago

Many people do it yet. They use carrot flippers which I believe are 1/8" longer or some small amount.

Quoted from javagrind888:

If so, do you think this would fix the high difficulty of the game?

It would help some. PLenty of mods out there though that add a center post, and block the ball from jumping over the the lower portion rails/plastics

#3 6 years ago

It's your game so you can set it up however you want, just make sure to note longer flippers when posting a high score.

As mentioned by TheLaw, there are "carrot" flippers (also called segmented?)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9592-6

There are also some aluminum ones. They also make a set in purple specifically for GB.
http://www.adpin.de/english/

If you haven't already, you should read through the GB Club thread. There is a lot of little tweaks people are doing to help with issues and, for some, to make the game easier (i.e.: Center Post, Reducing the Outlane Gap, etc..)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-club-we-got-one

#4 6 years ago

Stuff a sock in outlanes, preferably clean

#5 6 years ago

I prefer lightening flippers on GB

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I prefer lightening flippers on GB

Mine are already white. Can't get much lighter than that.

#7 6 years ago

After playing Ghostbusters in a home use environment where you can set everything up properly and feel out all the shots, the flipper gap isn't as noticeable. I'd recommend giving it a go as is for awhile before making aftermarket changes to the game. If you still want to make it easier, there are options available like TheLaw had mentioned.

I kind of like how the whole game is set up without a center post or larger flippers.

#8 6 years ago

The flipper bats with ridges are about .14 inches longer than standard flipper bats. The .14 inches is the OVERALL length of the flipper bat (doesn't necessarily mean the distance from the shaft to the tip of the flipper bat is .14 inches longer... I haven't checked). Anyway, I installed them and I would say it "normalizes" the game to some extent (just a tad more fun, but not a huge difference). Mine is a home-use game. In my opinion, it's an element of the game where it might be appropriate to say "design better" instead of "play better". I also own a CFTBL, which also has the Trudeau flipper gap, but I wouldn't change the flipper gap at all on that game.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

...also has the Trudeau flipper gap, but I wouldn't change the flipper gap at all on that game.

It's not even noticeable on any of his other games IMO. EDIT: Well a bit on Creech but like you say it plays fine with it

#10 6 years ago

I don't generally care for changing games too much but if there was a pin to do this with, GB is it, from that librarian scoop that wants to power drain you SDTM, to all the drops from the pops/Slimer area at the same spot. But really, this one probably needs a "3D" flipper that bats airballs from the Scoleri drops and spot targets you will invariably nail to send the ball flying over the flippers.

The "Trudeau gap" is fine when you don't have these factors. Some games like Creech NEED it, as it would be far too easy with a standard center drain, and the jet area and kickout send the ball safely to the right flipper.

#11 6 years ago

Longer bats will not solve your issue, they'll actually make the game play funky. I'd try the center post kit (it hangs, you don't drill it in) if you really feel like you need the help.

I don't find center drains the problem on GB as much as the outlines are straight killers.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. The game is just so difficult at stock that even the veterans at the arcade turn their nose up at it. It's sad that this game needs so much in modification for beginners, but god it's such a beautiful machine.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

After playing Ghostbusters in a home use environment where you can set everything up properly and feel out all the shots, the flipper gap isn't as noticeable. I'd recommend giving it a go as is for awhile before making aftermarket changes to the game. If you still want to make it easier, there are options available like TheLaw had mentioned.
I kind of like how the whole game is set up without a center post or larger flippers.

^ This!

My wife and I pondered buying Ghostbusters for several months. Our hold back was after playing several out at businesses like bowling alleys we were very frustrated with the gap and # of balls going SDTM. After research we saw we could get the centre post added without affecting the playfield and pulled the trigger buying a pro. With a NIB we found there was no need for the centre post or larger flippers. The pins out in the field where jacked up in the back and had settings on the scopes to target the ball to drain to make more money. We tweeked a few settings out of the box and it changed my mind on the flipper gap being an issue. Even my 4 and 7 year old boys are playing fine.

#14 6 years ago

^I have tried to hold back judgement in the hopes one day I can play a GB set up like that. The two locations I have played have been harsh experiences. One was part of a freeplay session, but the other is $1/play. Worse, it's currently the only pin at the nearest location to me with pinball. I'd spend enough to have bought my own pin before long!

But yes, what a grand looking table. That hologram looks sweet and it just screams "shoot me"

#15 6 years ago

The ones around me are $1.25 a play and I can't even get 5 minutes out of it. :/

#16 6 years ago

Are carrot flippers shorter than your standard flipper but longer than the GB flippers? Just wondering why people use the carrot style.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Are carrot flippers shorter than your standard flipper but longer than the GB flippers? Just wondering why people use the carrot style.

Carrot are 1/8 longer than standard which is what GB uses. The game is set up wider, not the flippers

Lightening<standard<carrot

#18 6 years ago

Ahh.

#19 6 years ago

Try measuring your flipper gap in your Congo & NGG. Congo should be bigger, although as some of us were saying you never really notice it.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

^I have tried to hold back judgement in the hopes one day I can play a GB set up like that. The two locations I have played have been harsh experiences. One was part of a freeplay session, but the other is $1/play. Worse, it's currently the only pin at the nearest location to me with pinball. I'd spend enough to have bought my own pin before long!
But yes, what a grand looking table. That hologram looks sweet and it just screams "shoot me"

The GB Premium I set up on location has a very generous tilt and a long ball save to offset the flipper gap. It's easily the most popular pin on the route, which, on a route packed with Premium and LE Sterns and two JJP machines, is saying something.

#21 6 years ago

Only get them if you bowl with the bumpers or ride a bike with training wheels

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The GB Premium I set up on location has a very generous tilt and a long ball save to offset the flipper gap. It's easily the most popular pin on the route, which, on a route packed with Premium and LE Sterns and two JJP machines, is saying something.

Where is your GB? I'll make sure I drop you some coin if I were ever to come through. This is a title I really want to like. It's a Ghostbusters pinball ferchrissakes. I still can't believe the entire 80s and 90s passed without one.

The one here that's $1 a play even rebooted and ate my game while it was in the jets. I had just got a double-danger tilt warning from a slide save seconds earlier, I admit the left front leg scooted a good six inches or so, then back. Tends to happen when I get in front of most modern Sterns. I am not sure if it did it as a slam tilt or not. I definitely should not have slam tilted. Oh well.

Like Rudy from FunHouse would say, "hey, it's only pinball."

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

Where is your GB? I'll make sure I drop you some coin if I were ever to come through. This is a title I really want to like. It's a Ghostbusters pinball ferchrissakes. I still can't believe the entire 80s and 90s passed without one.
The one here that's $1 a play even rebooted and ate my game while it was in the jets. I had just got a double-danger tilt warning from a slide save seconds earlier, I admit the left front leg scooted a good six inches or so, then back. Tends to happen when I get in front of most modern Sterns. I am not sure if it did it as a slam tilt or not. I definitely should not have slam tilted. Oh well.
Like Rudy from FunHouse would say, "hey, it's only pinball."

Half the country away from you in Redding, CA. There's a picture of the back game room at location that has the Ghostbusters from yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/shameless-o-leerys-redding - look in the pictures.

Anyone who has Premiums out and ISN'T charging $1/play is crazy, they're just too expensive, even with a good location split.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Anyone who has Premiums out and ISN'T charging $1/play is crazy, they're just too expensive, even with a good location split.

Right, I wouldn't expect anything less from a new release still in production. Was just differentiating it from the other one I played during a five-hour freeplay session for $15. There, I also played a Dialed In, and would expect that to likely be more than $1/play anywhere else.

Near me or not, thanks for keeping the silver ball from draining for good out there. I will play any pinball I see in the wild, and twice if it works well enough. And to be sure, I don't mind games with short ball times per se. Some of my earliest pinball experiences were Steve Ritchie casting me in the fire with High Speed and F-14 Tomcat when the quarter slot was about at my eye level.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 103.00
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
15,699 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/larger-flippers-for-ghost-busters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.