(Topic ID: 151854)

Large vs small pinball collection

By jokerpoker

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images_(resized).png
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

So just wondering people's thoughts. Do you prefer a small nice higher end type collection or a larger one with previous player battle scars.

Having had mainly older games over the past 35 years I now prefer a smaller but possible over the top collection with all the bells and whistles. Is there such a thing as too much bling. I hope not.

One thing is for sure. I still love them all. Hooked from age 5. Crosstown the first machine I ever played.

#2 8 years ago

All smalls become large.

#3 8 years ago

I have to settle for a small one with "previous player battle scars".

I'm OK with that!

E

#4 8 years ago

Correction to my comment or my serious answer.

The best size is one that doesn't annoy you with maintenance. To me, there is no greater nightmare than a huge collection that keeps falling apart. I like fixing stuff but when you take on projects and don't have a lot of time, it eats at you when you realize that pinball xyz has literally been down or a few switches haven't been replaced for months.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Correction to my comment or my serious answer.
    The best size is one that doesn't annoy you with maintenance. To me, there is no greater nightmare than a huge collection that keeps falling apart. I like fixing stuff but when you take on projects and don't have a lot of time, it eats at you when you realize that pinball xyz has literally been down or a few switches haven't been replaced for months.

Well said, agreed

#6 8 years ago

3 pins is my sweet spot any more I tend to work on them more than play them

#7 8 years ago

I love and respect the gigantic collections out there but even if I had millions I don't think I could mentally handle doing that. I'm just too obsessive about maintenance, so m general rule is I won't allow myself to own more than I can properly maintain by myself.

For me 6-8 pins and 10 arcades was pushing it. I think 6 higher-end pins is my sweet spot. 16 games is about all I can do and still work, be a decent dad and slave to my wife, etc.

If I had more time on my hands, I'd probably go 10 pins, maybe at the expense of a few arcades.

First world problems, right?

#8 8 years ago

I like having about 30 games from all different eras but none too expensive. Variety is the spice of life.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like having about 30 games from all different eras but none too expensive. Variety is the spice of life.

All different eras. The 40s, the 50s, the 60s, and like 3 DMDs from '93-'95.

#10 8 years ago

Space is the limiting factor for me. Have one machine now. Can probably fit up to a total of five (5) machines, perhaps six (6) if I don't do a MAME cabinet. Wish I had room for more...

#11 8 years ago

That's a tough one. I'm at around 50 pins right now. Most of my games are battle scared and have issues that someday will be fixed. Some don't work at all but I'm fine with that. I also have my playing games that are kept in good working order. I really enjoy having a large selection of games but would also love to have a smaller size collection where I could maintain my games they way I want them.
    So couldn't really say which is better or think either is better. Just know your limits. Only own what suits you.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

All different eras. The 40s, the 50s, the 60s, and like 3 DMDs from '93-'95.

40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's. 90's, 00's. Sold the ones from the 2010's.

#13 8 years ago

The WAF is "small" 4-5 pins. If it were up to just me I'd be up around 8 or so.

Started out with mostly 2k pins (or less) but the value has crept up over the last few years.

#14 8 years ago

Ideally I'd like 6. I know people with 30+ machine collections. Thing is, not everything works. Just keeping them running, let alone shopped or doing restores is too much for one person.

For me, I don't invite people over to play unless all 4 of mine are running. If I own fewer than 4 then no reason to invite people to just play pinball. With 6 I'd have enough to host people for regular tournaments which is the ultimate goal.

#15 8 years ago

I agree on the maintenance burden, I'd love to have a bigger collection but 3-5 seem pretty optimal from variety and maintainability standpoint (at least to me, I'm no Vid or Lloyd when it comes to fixing things, in fact even little things seem to take a lot of time and effort )

#16 8 years ago

I have 22 pins and I try to keep them all in very good condition, which often includes doing semi-restorations to any incoming pins. I currently find myself almost constantly overwhelmed trying to keep them all maintained in the condition I want (good to very good). Right now I have sticky notes on machines detailing things I need to tweak, fix, etc., that I'll get to as soon as I feel like it, and I'm feeling burned out, so who knows when that will be? I think I may have been enjoying myself more when I had about 10 pins. Just saying.

I don't know how guys have more pins than I have and manage to keep the whole endeavour from becoming a big ball of constant work.

#17 8 years ago

4-5 nice ones is where I like to be. If I were uber wealthy, I can see having a giant room filled with all new or high end restores of them, but that's not where I'm at.

#18 8 years ago

I've got 7 at my house and my mom has 3 at hers, and that seems to be a great mix. Right now one machine needs a little work, but that still leaves enough for me and a few friends (well, if I can ever find any, that is) to play and have variety. I've got one EM for old school and the rest are DMDs, but I've got a pretty good variety of manufacturers and features across my little collection. None are super expensive or totally blinged out, but they're all as well maintained, loved, and cared for as I can possibly make them. I love looking at pics of people's gorgeous banks of tons of machines, but there's no way I can justify (or afford) that.

#19 8 years ago

I have 13 which is enough for right now. Might add a couple more to make it 15. After that, I'll have to sell in order to make room for new games and I think that's how you upgrade.

#20 8 years ago

I have two pins at the moment but will end up with 4 plus a nfl blitz arcade. Also i love board games so i have a high top chess table in my game room also.

#21 8 years ago

I have 15 with the oldest being Space Shuttle and the newest being NIB Mustang Pro. All my games play 100% except BF cuz I did some modding on it. I clean the playfields before people come over and they are good to go. With 15 it's easy for me to keep everything going as long as I take care of a problem right away. Also, I probably over payed for most of my games because they were in 100% playing condition when I bought them, no projects so something can be said for paying extra for nice games.

#22 8 years ago

I bought one figuring that would be enough, just have one pin to play with. Then I thought 3 might be better, having them side by side. Then 5 seemed like a better number, having them in a nice row. Then 8 seemed like the sweet spot to have a nice variety. Now I'm at 11 pinball machines. That's the sweet spot, yeah, 11, that's it.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

So just wondering people's thoughts. Do you prefer a small nice higher end type collection or a larger one with previous player battle scars.

I want a large collection of high end pins with battle scars. I like having a choice of what to play depending on my mood and I like to not over play any one game to get so good at it I would get board.

I'm happy with my medium large collection collection. But I still have a lot of video games I have slowly been getting rid of to make room for pins. Not all are set up. They range in condition HUO to project and basket case. EM to AC/DC. 22 setup around the house, 3 setup in The Sanctum.

Yes, there is always something to work on. About 15 years ago I started selling off the older games and I concentrated on the 90 Bally / Williams because I love them and wanted to minimize what I needed around for spare parts and boards. But about 5 years ago I found myself going back and buying games I had sold in the past, mostly System-11. But with prices gone so crazy I pretty much wait for a good deal and don't pass up the great deals. But I rarely sell anymore since so many people getting into pinball have made games scarce and pricey.

#24 8 years ago

Around 3-5. Anymore than that and maintenance becomes very annoying. Sometimes less is more.

#25 8 years ago

I like games with battle scars
    I have bought NIB games, but found I got obsessive about them getting that first little scratch

#26 8 years ago

I have 9 and am thankful I don't have room for more. It's about the right number. If I didn't have a wife and kids that number could be much higher. I'd rather play them than maintain them in my minuscule free time.

#27 8 years ago

Bells & Whistles do nothing for me. I have a mix of older scar games & NIB...I treat them the same way.
    It is a tough thing...as people are saying the mo machines mo problems.

#28 8 years ago

Where is the line between small & large?

Right now I have 4 in my home, with 1 each at my folks and inlaws. In a perfect world I'd like to have a couple pins from each decade starting with the 60's, so that would be about a dozen machines. Realistically I could probably pull off having only 7 or 8 at my current location, which would be great.

But only 2 of my current 4 I would consider keepers, with the other 2 hopefully changed out in the near future. Would a 10-12 machine collection have continued reshuffling as you looked for the "perfect" lineup? Probably.

#29 8 years ago

The bigger the collection, the better, imo. Once games are dialed in and bullet-proofed, maintenance isn't that big of a deal unless you have large parties with all the machines getting a ton of play at once. In other words, if it's just you and a few friends playing a few times per week, there is no more maintenance on a 50 game collection than a 5 game collection.

#30 8 years ago

5 to 6 is all I'll comfortably be able to fit where I'm at now (maybe 7 if one is a Varkon...) so its a pretty hard limit. Even if i had a lot more space though, i couldnt really see myself realistically wanting more than 10 or so at one time... unless, and unrealistically of course, i suddenly become super wealthy Then, who knows... 20-25 perhaps?

#32 8 years ago

I guess part of the answer is how often and for how long can you play? If your play time is limited, the games don't get played enough. Someone else could be enjoying them. I currently have 2. Maximum for my space, time and budget is probably 5 later versions.

#33 8 years ago

As many as you can fit, with a little space left over in case a "can't pass" deal comes up. I mean, why not?

That being said, a 2-game collection is just as good as a 10 game collection for most intents. If you get sick of a game, sell or trade it.

yeah it doesn't have the "wow" factor of parading someone around and showing 'em all your stuff, but most people you show aren't pinball people and they really won't care. yeah they'll jerk you off a bit and say "wow you got a lot of games bro!!!!" but then they'll go upstairs and not think about it any more than a curio.

#34 8 years ago

I'm a variety guy - around ten is my sweet spot. I'm around 18 right now, so a couple will have to go at some point.

Had 52 at one time, had to scale back. Not enough time to enjoy that many and keep them up properly.

#35 8 years ago

As many as my Wife will let me have.

#36 8 years ago

Condition is the key, with low plays to NIB . Mod to your taste . Makes life easier with this hobby.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from pauloz:

As many as my Wife will let me have.

My wife won't let me sell any.

rd

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Bells & Whistles do nothing for me. I have a mix of older scar games & NIB...I treat them the same way.
    It is a tough thing...as people are saying the mo machines mo problems.

Same here. I grew up playing beat battle scared games in the arcades. Cigarette burns, playfield wear, names carved in them. Damaged cabs. So I don't mind them now. Yeah I have a few mint games and would love to restore a few but just saying just because a game isn't mint doesn't make it any less of a game.
    I keep so many because I like having a variety to play and some of these games I would never get a chance to play again if I sold them.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll believe that when pigs fly.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll believe that when pigs fly.

I believe it.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Except the ones she doesn't like.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from pauloz:

Except the ones she doesn't like.

She likes all the ones I want to sell.

"South Park!! You can't sell that!! It's cute!! Cartman is cute!! I like that one!!"

She wants to sell the ones I like. Hahaha

"Walking dead!! The ball always goes down the middle!! Sell it!!!"

rd

#43 8 years ago

Your marriage sounds like a ride on Twisted Colossus.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Hhhmm are we the luck ones? My wife is the same, she was spewing when I ordered Metallica but was looking forward to GOTLE, now she loves metallica and it's her favorite machine (or at least a close second to TWDLE)

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Your quantity is now over 30. I hope your neighbours won't be to upset hearing the beeping of a back up alarm on the truck I send to your place to help with your over inventory.

#46 8 years ago

I started with 1 pinball machine around 2003 (ST:TNG) as it was my go to game of the arcade when I was in high school. It was originally all I ever wanted and thought it was all I would ever need. Unfortunately it was the beginning of a collection. Fast forward a few more years and I will soon be at 6 :p I think 6 now may be considered a 'mid size' collection? Now I am running out of both pinball capital and space so 6 will be it for awhile.

I am very fond of pins and would have many more if I had endless space and $$$. To me it is interactive art and reminds me of good times in my younger days. That and they are just damn fun

mittens

#47 8 years ago

Great topic JP.

You all know that size doesn't matter though........

#48 8 years ago

I don't like the term "collection" because I don't collect pinball machines. I enjoy buying projects, fixing them, modding them and playing them. When I get tired of one, I sell or trade it for another. Have 8 pins right now, but Maverick was cheap project that is still ongoing and I have a TFTC with the playfield on a rotisserie. My Shadow is working fine, but need to tear it down, shop it, repair sanctum and brass plate the wireforms. I liked playing it so much, that I just cut down an old credit card, slapped a sanctum decal on it and taped it over the worn spot. Magnet works perfect through the plastic and non-pinhead friends wouldn't even know or care.

I don't buy pins for status, for a collection - I buy for the enjoyment of myself and my wife. If I cared about "status" or "pin envy", why would I buy a Viper Night Drivin? Why? Because it's a fun game that we enjoy.

5 pins seems to be the right number for us and the extra few are being sold when finished to pay for a new basement bathroom.

#49 8 years ago

Let me preface this by saying I think a big collection of games in the home is 8 or more.

I've got about 40 of my games setup in working order, 10 or so of a mates setup in the game room, another 10 to 15 in working order but they are stored. About 20 more that need varying degrees of work, and at least 5 basket cases. I've got games that you'd only want to play with white gloves on, and others that work fine but have plenty of wear and someone's initials carved in the side. I think being in Australia generally your options are far more limited when it come to condition so you can either get annoyed by it, restore the games, or ignore it. I tend to do the latter.

There have been times in the past where I've thought about cutting back to 20 keepers in mint condition, the second I do a deal comes up and I end up with more games in various states. I've recently started collecting system 11s and that is dangerous to any ambition of cutting back.

I find as long as you have the space and the resources to maintain it, a big collection is almost always better.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I hope your neighbours won't be to upset hearing the beeping of a back up alarm on the truck I send to your place to help with your over inventory.

images_(resized).pngimages_(resized).png

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/large-vs-small-pinball-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.