(Topic ID: 305108)

Large Sega DMD availability?

By smileymatthew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Have one in a Frankenstein - that well, is frankenstien. Shorting out and blowing fuse as soon as it's powered up, so looking for a replacement. After looking around, I'm seeing maybe only one possible Color DMD replacement, but I was a little unclear? Are these available anywhere?

Thanks!

#3 2 years ago

Agreed on the color dmd. They are pretty sparse to find used (and working), and when you do, the price difference between what people seem to ask and a color dmd is usually pretty negligible.

#4 2 years ago

I went through this with a Baywatch I picked up a couple of years ago; it had one horizontal line out...I could have just kept it, but...yeah, haha.

Everybody said to get a ColorDMD for it, which admittedly DOES LOOK AMAZING for this title, but I didn't want to pull the trigger for the $500, and none of my other DMD games are color and I like the original orange plasma. I could have just trekked on, but I found one from a seller that was looking to recoup some of the expense after they upgraded to the color.

The other option is the Pin2DMD, which also looks really good, and is much cheaper, but needs a little DIY.

If you are blowing a fuse, I would also check that the power input is correct to the display itself, they used a number of different display manufacturers, and they are all slightly different; when I switched mine out, I believe vishay dale to vishay, the high voltage, and ground were reversed, and could be plugged in the "wrong way"; I made a little adapter with some wire and connectors at work to flip the connectors around.

#5 2 years ago

Another option is PinballSP. I've installed a large one for a friend and used a standard sized one for a game that is routed 24/7. They are really well built plug and play displays.

https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1103-pinballsp

#6 2 years ago

Pin2dmd is also an option

#7 2 years ago

Don't forget about DMD Extender! IMO it is the most affordable option. You can source your own display panel for cheap off eBay. Check the bottom of the page below to see it working in a Maverick.

https://drpinball.co.uk/pages/dmd-extender

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/large-sega-dmd-availability-?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.