030.jpg
031.jpg
008.jpg
006.jpg
Maverick_backbox.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
005.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 8 years ago

Message me, a friend of mine has a stack of NOS displays for much cheaper.

#16 8 years ago

Double check that the power supply wired into the displays are the same first and if that's OK, then you can swap the displays back and forth between the games with little risk.

#36 8 years ago

check the connector going to the DMD, not the DMD controller board. There are at least 3 different manufacturers of the large display and some of them have a different pinout to the 4 pin connector (or was it 3 pin) going to the DMD itself. I have encountered this once on a Frankenstein.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Yep I'm afraid that may be the case. I did try the BF Display in the Maverick and nothing.

I'm confused. You said the connectors are different (reversed) between the displays in the 2 games. If that is correct than of course the displays wont light when you switch them between the games.

#46 8 years ago

Also, I have been able to repair 2 non working/partial working large displays by changing the large caps on the board.

#51 8 years ago

Checked the Baywatch manual as it has the schematics for 3 different manufacturers of the large display. Power inputs at the display are as follows

Pins 1 2 3 4
Cherry 12V gnd gnd n/c
Babcock 12V gnd gnd n/c
Dale 5V gnd gnd 24V

(I think in all cases it's 18 volts used for the higher voltage)

Now most of the wiring harnesses for these games have a main harness that should likely be the same for all the games that terminates into a flat wide large 4 pin connector and then a small secondary harness that is only 4-10" long that attaches at one end to the main harness and the other end directly to the display.

I attached a picture of the main harness to secondary harness connector.

If you are swapping displays between games and they are different brands then I believe you have to keep the secondary harness matched with the display brand. (I am not 100% sure so double check the power with a meter at the connectors).

Maverick_backbox.jpgMaverick_backbox.jpg

#53 8 years ago

Yes the pins are reversed in Maverick and batman but the connector must have been angled at the two corners on Maverick as it is on batman so that it only plugs in the correct way.

No guarantee on that. From the schematics it looks like you may have run 18V into the 5V line depending on the game

Huh maybe I got some bad info about vishay. How do I find what brand my DMD is?

Should be printed on it. You may have to disassemble the metal shields to see more of the circuit board

Do you have to remove the glass to change the caps?

No, You can't remove the glass on these boards as it's a glued ribbon cable and not pins that you can desolder. IIRC I had to bend the old caps in order to cut them off and then soldered in new caps higher than the board so that I could reach the solder pads. Don't recall which brands I did that one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/large-sega-display-worked-fine-till-it-was-moved?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.