Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm considering picking up a Data East game that has the large dmd (192x64). In doing some homework I've learned that if the display goes bad they are hard to come by and expensive. I've also learned that many stay away from these games because of that reason. Are there alternatives for this display in case one goes bad? I've read some info about the DMD extenders but it's older information and I can't figure out the actual process of using them. Are they still available? Is it a good solution at a reasonable cost?

#3 5 years ago

DMD Extender as far as I know is still available, but I haven't built a kit in years. I stopped updating the guide thread I wrote since there was really nothing more to add. I would strongly recommend the PinballSP DMDMK66. These are very high quality displays comprised of two 64x64 RGB LED panels. ColorDMD does offer these as well, but they are considerably more expensive. Software is on the way to allow custom full color frame by frame, but for now you can set a 4 color palette. There is also PIN2DMD, but stay away at all costs. The individual that sells the hardware for PIN2DMD is dishonest, plus it's low quality and untested anyway.

I have actually had my hands on two DMDMK66 displays by PinballSP and have installed one for a friend. It's very well built and is a single unit, no kits or extra cables needed. No extra software needed. It's all designed by a single person on a single circuit board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1103-pinballsp

#4 5 years ago

The only answer is Rob’s. Color DmD all day. Sure you pay a bit more but I can promise you that whatever game you’re getting it will be colorized eventually. Also you would have no problems re-selling it down the line.

Don’t forget you could also sell your current dmd to offset the cost.

#5 5 years ago

I mean it's very nice, but it's not the only objective answer. I'm giving him what options are available, not just the most popular one.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses. It appears that it is at least "safe" to buy one of these pins that use the large dmd.

#7 5 years ago

Yeah you won't be left out in the cold for sure. There are more options now than ever.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

It appears that it is at least "safe" to buy one of these pins that use the large dmd.

Thought never even crossed my mind when I bought my Maverick. If the display is working when you buy a game, there's no reason to assume it won't work for the life of the game. Make sure you do the service bulletin for this series of games. http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb106.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 36.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
$ 22.50
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/large-data-east-dmd-and-extender-alternative and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.