Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by twhtalm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Just an off topic question when working on your pinball machine/arcade games and you need to refer to a schematic do you prefer to do it on a Laptop or Tablet? I'm looking to add one to help make my repairs easier. Any suggetions?

Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Anything with a real keyboard.

#3 4 years ago

Laptop

#4 4 years ago

I use a HP 2 in 1. It has the full Keyboard for searching the web. It is has a small screen like a tablet, 10.5 inches. Also a touch screen. Its small and handy for tossing on another pin to keep reference photos nearby during my restorations.

#5 4 years ago

I use an iPad. Easier to put it where I want it than a laptop. Takes great pictures.

#6 4 years ago

Tablet when it's used as a viewing screen for documents, photos, and videos.

Laptop if you're using it as an input or output device (typing, surfing, downloading, burning EPROMs, etc)

#7 4 years ago

I take a lot of photos when I work on a game and use them for reference. I was spending most of my time going back to my office to check on something. So I got a laptop for my shop. Best thing I ever did. It’s a Dell Studio with full size keyboard and a large screen. Unfortunately I don’t have LAN in my shop so I must use WiFi. I think the WiFi is slower and I could never use a touch pad keyboard – just old school I guess.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I think the WiFi is slower

There are different versions of wireless standard.

Wireless G will seem slow when trying to access high resolution images. Wireless n or ac are newer standards and can handle high resolution images with little to no delay.

It's possible that you might need to replace your wireless access point (or router if it's an all-in-one unit) with a newer model that supports those newer wireless standards.

Personally, for consumer electronics, I prefer the Asus wireless routers--they're rock solid, much more secure than other consumer grade routers, they receive regular updates (other manufacturers tend to abandon their products after a short time), and the firmware is richly featured, so you can customize things to your liking.

#9 4 years ago

Last Xmas I bought a FIRE tablet for this very purpose. My other
    hobby is old (tube) ham and s/w radios so I'm constantly in need
    of view able manuals and schematics. The 10" version of the FIRE
    is perfect for this. Not as large as laptops so takes up little
    space on the bench. It uses the three-finger approach to move or
    expand/compress pages which is real convenient. Built in wifi works fine.

The biggest drawback is these things include seemingly built in ads
    which are easy to bypass but annoying. Paid $99 for mine at Target.
    Steve

#10 4 years ago

Tablets are better, since they are much easier to swallow than laptops. Although some prefer gelcaps.

#11 4 years ago

I have a small chromebook in the shop for looking things up, referencing images, diagrams, whatever, keyboard is a must in my book. it's actually a convertible one with touchscreen so does tablet mode as well. it's also fanless so I don't worry about dust at all. plays music to a pair of speakers on the rare occasion i want that as well. shop is a detached metal building so had no signal unless I was near the ceiling next to the translucent strip at the top of the walls, so that's where I mounted an additional access point to bridge to the house, works great.

#12 4 years ago

65" HD TV with a desktop PC with lots of USB ports.

#13 4 years ago

Laptop.

Tablets are dumb. Nothing I can do on a tablet that I can't do on my phone which fits easily in my pocket.

They are good for tournament scorekeeping I guess.

#14 4 years ago

Laptop for doing anything useful and a phone/tablet for screwing around. Recently I picked up an e-ink reader for my manuals and other documents. What's really cool with the new e-ink readers is that several come with a stylus for note taking and sketching. It's nice to be able to pull up the old service manuals and be able to jot down notes or circle key info for later.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laptop-or-tabletwhich-is-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.