IMG_2173 (resized).jpg
IMG_2171 (resized).jpg
IMG_2170 (resized).jpg
IMG_2165 (resized).jpg
IMG_2164 (resized).jpg
IMG_2163 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Lanes Score Two Cards: Hearts and Spades Gottlieb 1969

As pictured, there are a '3' and '2' lane up top, and a '3' lane and '2' stand up the left side halfway down the play field. When any one of those is triggered (95+% of the time) all four lights will go out and the '2' AND '3' will be credited to the center 'done' hand. (This happens 1 in 200-300 time with the king and queen also.)

I don't think the switches are too tight nor is it vibrations - I've blocked three switches and the problem remains.

I notice if I very lightly and quickly tap a switch only the proper light will go out half the time, the other half both go out. If I hold one ('2' or '3') switch down a 'long' time, 1/4 to 1/2 second, both the B2 and B3 solenoids will always activate and score both cards. That also happen with the king and queen.

IMG_2163 (resized).jpgIMG_2163 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

The solenoid bank for all the B coils looks good, no loose or touching wires.

IMG_2164 (resized).jpgIMG_2164 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

In the schematic snippet, ALB (low, white Ace), 2B, 3B, etc for Ace-5 sequence and the red 10-Ace sequence all connect to "B Relay Disc". I have looked all over for it and can only find the ball count unit and Spin Relay in the back box and a spin unit on the bottom board, nothing under the play field.
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like and where it is? Is it something besides a round disc shape?

IMG_2165 (resized).jpgIMG_2165 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

I do have a few stray spliced wires and one loose black wire. I wondered if the '2' and '3' were mistakenly tied together, but then why would the switches score properly sometimes and not others

IMG_2170 (resized).jpgIMG_2170 (resized).jpgIMG_2171 (resized).jpgIMG_2171 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

I'm stuck; everything else is working perfectly and the game is very playable. But you know how it is…wanting to get that last detail 100% I'm getting better at repairs but still so so at reading schematics, please keep that in my when replying. Thanks.

#6 3 years ago

Also - if the '2' or '3' is scored by the SPIN kickout hole it always scores just the one card, never both '2' and '3'.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

In the schematic snippet, ALB (low, white Ace), 2B, 3B, etc for Ace-5 sequence and the red 10-Ace sequence all connect to "B Relay Disc". I have looked all over for it

The "B relay disc" is a small contact board mounted to an AS style, mini stepper relay. (There are probably images of AS relays elsewhere in the forum.) This game has two boards mounted to the B relay, one on either side. AS relays often have their own pair of jones plugs to make them easier to remove from the cabinet for adjustment.

It could be that the wires for the 2B and 3B relays (blue-red and orange-red) on the B relay disc are shorted together. It might also be that the wiper somehow contacts the 2B and 3B contacts simultaneously.

/Mark

#8 3 years ago

Thanks Mark, I found the B relay is actually the spin relay in the back box, an AS style stepper with two boards like you said.

The stepper works fine when the ball hits the SPIN kick-out holes. The AS stepper also only moves when the spin kickout holes are triggered. So apparently not the problem - when the spin operates and gives a '2', the '3' is left alone. Same the other way around. My problem is only when the three lanes (3,3,2) and one stand up target (2) are triggered, then it scores both '2' and '3' at the same time. During that time the 'B' Relay Disc aka Spin Relay does not move at all. So at least I know where the B disc is now, but I'm still stuck.

LATER: Checking further, when I hold down either the top lane '2' or '3' switch for a fraction of a second, a tiny wisp of smoke comes out of the spin relay where the blue-red and orange-red traces meet at the circular hub at the base of all the traces. That seems to happen every time the three lanes or one standup are hit. Must be a problem but I don't know how to fix - would the wiper touching both traces cause that? Henry

#9 3 years ago

The smoke comes out even when the wiper is several traces away

#10 3 years ago

The smoke comes from the split in the center hub between traces 7 (orange-red) and 8 (blue-red). I feel like we're getting closer, but still not solved. Ideas?

By the way, I took your advice from a few months back and bought some eBay junker stepper units - I'd been afraid to take mine apart and service - turned out much easier than I thought, so thanks for the confidence builder!

IMG_2173 (resized).jpgIMG_2173 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

The smoke comes from the split in the center hub between traces 7 (orange-red) and 8 (blue-red).

Those are the two wires I mentioned above that fire the 2B and 3B relays. I think what you have is a case of carbon tracking (something I learned from Steve Young of PBR). Carbon, metal dust or similar things accumulate under the wiper as it moves around and gradually builds up a layer that can create a conducting path between two contact pads. The smoke is created when current from one of the pads passes through the relatively high resistance carbon path to the other pad. The current through the high resistance causes it to heat up briefly and send out the smoke.

If you're lucky you can just clean the wiper board to remove the carbon and other accumulated gunk. Don't loosen or remove any screws at first, just move the wiper around and clean behind it. If that doesn't help you might need to do a better cleaning job by removing the wiper, but that gets into a lot more fiddling with the AS relay which you should avoid unless you're really patient.

Quoted from hjh632:

By the way, I took your advice from a few months back and bought some eBay junker stepper units - I'd been afraid to take mine apart and service - turned out much easier than I thought, so thanks for the confidence builder!

Without the pressure of messing something up in your game it's easier to try and experiment and make mistakes and learn from it.

#12 3 years ago

Tomorrow’s project. I did try to buy an eBay AS junker for practice months back but no luck. I would be very hesitant to take one apart (unless you were sitting next to me) -I’ve heard too many long and sorrowful stories about them.

#13 3 years ago

Success! Took a while; cleaned with alcohol and Q-Tip, then pointy tooth pick. Still smoked. Metal seemed to bridge the gap, maybe it'd been faulty forever. Finally separated the metal with the sharp point of my carving knife. After three tries all is good and only the '2' or '3' registers. Also took care of the king-queen. Thanks a bunch - so nice to have a mentor for the 'impossible' situations.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lanes-score-two-cards-hearts-and-spades-gottlieb-1969 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.