(Topic ID: 309651)

Lamps Issue... Some not turning on and some not turning off!

By casher2006

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rikoshay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bayonet Base (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

For Eight Ball Champ when a playfield lamp never turns off, what is typically the cause? Also I have about 6 lamps that wont turn on and for two of them it turned out to be a cold solder joint on the negative (ground) cable. for the other four, after confirming the bulb was good, I checked the ground and it was fine as well. Is the issue usually an with the lamp drivers on the 6803 Control Board for both of these issues (never turning off and never turning on)?

Thanks,
Chad

#3 2 years ago

Lamp staying on could be due to a bad SCR/lamp driver.

Lamp that won't come on could be a number of different things. Have you tried replacing any sockets? They're a pretty common failure point.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you tried replacing any sockets? They're a pretty common failure point.

I have not. I cant seem to find these Wedge style sockets anywhere! any advise is welcome on where to find them or what to replace them with!

#5 2 years ago

Instead of the 555 sockets, you could use Yoppsicle leds for the controlled lamps. Simple to install. Marco has them.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Instead of the 555 sockets, you could use Yoppsicle leds for the controlled lamps. Simple to install. Marco has them.

I just watched the video of someone installing these Yoppsicle LEDs, but i noticed they didnt have Diodes. All my lamp sockets have Diodes, so will these still work?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I also noticed in another post that the guy who makes these said the weren't for 6803 games! That sucks!

#8 2 years ago

Sorry bout that - didn’t realize this was a 6803 game.

#9 2 years ago

Replace with 44 type sockets. 555 wedge sockets suck especially if you eventually get led bulbs as the plastic base on the led doesn't fit in the socket correctly you have to force them in. You have to change the bulbs too of course to the bayonet base 44/47.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Replace with 44 type sockets. 555 wedge sockets suck especially if you eventually get led bulbs as the plastic base on the led doesn't fit in the socket correctly you have to force them in. You have to change the bulbs too of course to the bayonet base 44/47.

How do you know where to put the diode on this type of base (see image attached)?

Bayonet Base (resized).jpgBayonet Base (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

Measure where it's going now in the 555 with a meter to the inside bulb tabs. Setup same way on 44. Pinball life has sockets cheaper usually but sometimes Marco shipping is cheaper depends on where you live.
Diodes are probably 1n4004 don't bother trying to move the old ones over they're cheap in quantity.

#12 2 years ago

I'm following this thread and I'm also doing a little research. So, after reading the thread that I linked below, I'm really not sure if they will or won't work.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-problems-with-leds-in-bally-6803

I have an idea: get in touch with me with your home address and I'll send you a handful of Yoppsicle Omnis (they will have the added resistor) to try if you don't mind putting forth the effort. That should tell us if they will or won't work. The part that is confusing me though is the added diode you mentioned. I tried putting Yoppsicles in my Blackout (it has diodes) and I added the diode into the circuit and they worked but they ghosted really badly. Had to remove them and replace with 444 sockets then it was all good again. I assume you'll have to add the diode in the same orientation with the Yoppsicle. If any really smart electronics folks want to chime in here if I'm way off, please do.

Yopp

#13 2 years ago

mixing incandescent globes with LED's will show a significant difference when lit up, possibly resulting in swapping out to LEDs.

have you tried a lamp test?

can you post pics of the globe holders that are and are not working?

have you tried measuring for voltage at the globe sockets that don't work?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamps-issue-some-not-turning-on-and-some-not-turning-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.