Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Stoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DSC09491 (resized).jpg
    Lamp socket 2 (resized).JPG
    Lamp socket 1 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoomer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

I usually go the opposite of careful. With the power to the socket off, remove the lamp and with a small flat-bladed screwdriver pry the center tab from the front pretty much all the way towards you/up ...so the tip is nearly touching the side of the socket. It'll spring back most of the way. If it breaks, the tension was crap anyway.
    if the lamp has a deep divot in the tip, swirl the tip hard on a flat metal surface ... like an anvil on a bench vise. The tip is soft and can be reshaped to remove the divot.

This thread is useful to me since one of my current projects is a 57 Bally Circus - http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=520 - which is from an era when Bally was mostly making Bingos, and the OPs sockets are exactly the kind that Circus has...a huge amount of them I might add. My initial thought was to replace them all with more modern ones as someone suggested, but there's just way too many.

So I appreciate baldtwit's approach and suggestions - I'll post any tips/experience/useful info I might encounter while going through the back-box of this title.

#10 6 years ago

How do the 1458/1464 bulbs compare to 55s?

I have MANY 55s, but none of the others...not that I'm adverse to buying them, but if they're virtually the same I'll use what I got, especially since I haven't found great use for the 55s I find in so many woodrails...

Sean

#12 6 years ago

Great Terry...thanks!

I missed the whole voltage part earlier...thanks for clarifying for me. Bingos are great, but I GOTTA stay focused on my flipper EMs...I got a lifetime of those to restore already.

The higher voltage bulbs may be useful in the projection units for those 40's and 50's pins that use those...they need to be bright! I use "silverlight" auto bulbs in there now...but it feels so wrong. Haha

Sean

#13 6 years ago

As I suspected...the lamp circuits on both Circus and my projection unit games are all 6V...so 55s and auto bulbs it is!!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Although some folks disagree with me, 55's are way too hot. 44's or 47's are a better choice. I use 47's. Sure, they are dimmer, but you want to save that backglass.

Thanks Dennis...it's a bgResto BG, so I'm not sure the heat is as big a concern...however shining through (I've heard), will probably be. It seems like folks are finding LEDs to be a better fit for the direct printing BGs, so maybe the 55s will be the ticket. I'll try them out first regardless...there's alota bulbs behind this BG thanks, in part, to the two-player lamp driven scoring, so I don't want to replace them with LEDs unless I have to.

The "original" BG was a horrific spectacle indeed! Remarkable that someone went thru the painstaking task of scraping all the unlit areas away, only to fingerpaint the replacement and create this monstrosity. I have to assume they thought it would turn out better...lol

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

And what it's supposed to look like:

pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png

#18 6 years ago

Thanks for the breakdown bt...it's very informative! I will report back later this year with what I end up doing - this is a major project, and I have extensive PF work to do, and I'm also repainting the cabinet. I hope to have it ready by the York Show in October.

I was working on the head insert last night, and since I had it laying face down to go through the stepper units, I did what you suggested with the center tab that makes contact with bottom of the bulb, except I pushed DOWN on that tab as far as I could push it. You were right - they spring back, and are now going to all be tighter when I finally install the bulbs. I think I was just lucky, but none of them broke!

I also checked out the Coos BGs you mentioned Terry...hadn't heard of them...great news! I'd love to find a use for these 55 bulbs...I find a ton of them in my old woodrail projects...

Sean

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoomer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lampbulb-sockets?tu=stoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.