Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hicks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Just about to order some #555 lamps to replace the various dead lamps and started thinking about reducing heat/power draw just a little.

From a bit of searching, it's clear this is a common train of thought Although usually with #44 vs #47. Anyhow a thread noted #159 as a lower power alternative. Both 6.3V with a reduction from 0.25A to 0.15A. However the drop in brightness looks, at least by the numbers, quite a bit, from 0.9 down to 0.34 candle power. Before I buy a couple to find out how big a difference that is, does anyone happen to know what voltage you could run a #555 at to get roughly the same brightness difference? As I could do a side by side with two #555s I have at different voltages on my bench supply to see what I think.

Also, whilst looking into this I found a link to https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Lamp_Chart and it looks like the #194 might also be a suitable replacement for a #555. It's 0.27A when running at 14V and 2.0 candle power. However, since it would be in a 6.3V circuit there'll be a drop in brightness and current draw, the question is, how significant for each? Does anyone know?

I know the ultimate answer is just to buy a few and find out, but as I need quite a few of whichever I ultimately go for, I'd prefer to get the lot in one order to save on shipping costs and avoid wasting lamps.

I tried running a 12V lamp at 6.3V which dropped from 0.38A to 0.28A and a quite significant brightness drop. However given the #194 is spec'd at twice the 555's brightness, if a similar drop occurs, it might not be far of equivalent brightness for a lower current draw?

#2 3 years ago

Why not go LED?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Why not go LED?

I was thinking about that, but I'm not sure just yet on LED. The illumination angles seem a bit more restrictive.

I might look into them a little further this evening, although I'm still curious about the #194 regardless

#4 3 years ago

I think I just used #47's when mine burnt.

#5 3 years ago

When LEDs first came along I hated them. Flickering, bad color spectrum, bad bases. They've gotten a lot better over the intervening decade, where I will use them in the backboxes. I haven't made the leap yet onto the playfield, but just from the backboxes the heat difference is night and day.

The directionality doesn't come into play as much as I thought it would - the earliest ones I used did, there's some spotlighting on those games, but the latest ones with a diffusing dome are great.

#6 3 years ago

I have warmed up to LEDs too. Warm white 1-SMD-5050 with a frosted dome are a good replacement for incandescent. There is a considerable reduction in current draw and heat. When you have many games turned on at once it adds up quick.

One thing i get a little OCD about LEDs in the GI is the strobe light effect. I think it bothers some people more than others, but when the ball moves fast I can see the strobe light effect of the LED turning off when the AC volts get near zero. I have been putting in 5vdc switch mode power supplies to do the GI. No more strobe flickers but you have to hack the wiring harness. Most games but Bally/Stern its really easy to do. Just put the SMPS near the transformer and add plug that mates with the GI connector usually uses near the transformer.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from hicks:

I was thinking about that, but I'm not sure just yet on LED. The illumination angles seem a bit more restrictive.
I might look into them a little further this evening, although I'm still curious about the #194 regardless

Don't waste your time with using 194's in place of 555's. The 194's won't burn out, but for all practical purposes, won't illuminate.

I haven't had my eyeballs calibrated in awhile, so I can't give you specific lumen figures.

#8 3 years ago

I'm open to switching to LEDs but I don't really want the cost of replacing everything atm as the majority of the lamps are still working fine. I could replace the dead lamps with LED equivalents however from a bit of reading up on the types I'd need, it sounds like I'd run into issues.

There's a few posts about the lack of dimming and in turn the sudden on/off transitions of LEDs which would require something like the "LED/GI OCD". However, that's not intended for use with any incandescent lamps, so it'd be an all or nothing switch. There's also the added cost of either none ghosting LEDs (and knowing which parts beyond helmet might require them) or ROM patching.

I think for simplicities sake, I'll get some #159's for the backbox and see if I feel they're bright enough. That'll tide me over until I've the time to revisit LEDs in the future and either get one of the pre-made kits and "LED/GI OCD" (if needed) or the time to go through everything properly. The #159's can't be worse than the current lamps anyway, as they're dead

Edit: That is if I can find any in the UK

#9 3 years ago

This is for Bride of Pinbot, right? Does that game have many/any GI effects (aside from the helmet lighting)?

Most (all?) Bally/Williams games from that era have a software setting “allow dim illumination”. When turned off, there are no GI effects, so you there is no need for the GI OCD board (which, either way, is probably installed 1% of machines or so...it’s by no means “necessary”).

There are LEDs designed to have the same brightness as incandescent bulbs (at Comet we call those “Retros”), and concerns about the viewing angle are moot if you buy bulbs with frosted lenses. It’s true that they don’t look the same as incandescents when you stare directly at them, but they can cast a very similar light and give the benefits of less heat and power consumption (and last longer at the same time).

Also, if you go with LEDs, choose warm white...that’s the closest in color to incandescents.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

This is for Bride of Pinbot, right? Does that game have many/any GI effects (aside from the helmet lighting)?
Most (all?) Bally/Williams games from that era have a software setting “allow dim illumination”. When turned off, there are no GI effects,

I'm not familiar enough with this machine in a full working state to know exactly what it does have, that's part of the reason I'm wary of what I change just yet.

I do know there's a lot of lamps in the playfield that are controlled and I think would look odd without the fade in/out transition. For example, in the attract mode:

Both the centre lamps and right hand skill shot I think would look strange without the slight fade out time.

I'm tempted to just get a few #159's to get the game fully lit and I can focus on the other issues such as some cracked plastic on the ramps, playfield cleaning, mylar, coil sleeves and well it's a bit of a list After that I can look into LEDs and order a selection to experiment with and see how they compare, what limitations they may have in this machine.

Also, if you go with LEDs, choose warm white...that’s the closest in color to incandescents.

Those were the ones I was looking at, although from what others have said, some of the playfield LEDs can be worth colour matching to the plastic colour. Whilst others are better off with a white. I think I'll have to get a selection and experiment really. I don't want to buy a complete kit until I've convinced myself I'll be happy with how they work.

#11 3 years ago

Bill's bulb chart might help.

https://www.flippers.com/lights.html

LTG : )

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bill's bulb chart might help.
https://www.flippers.com/lights.html
LTG : )

That makes things worse... as now I've seen there's a "#447" that's also 0.15A but a little closer in brightness to the #555 than the #159's

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 40.00
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.99
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-substitutes-555-alternatives?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.