(Topic ID: 173492)

Lamp Row Out - Sys 11 Rollergames

By kilmarnock1350

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kilmarnock1350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I lose an entire row of the lamp matrix at times. Sometimes when I turn the game on these lights work, sometimes they flash intermittently (together), and sometimes, most of the time they just don't work, or go out after a short time. But they always ALL go out together.

I'm thinking its the Q transistor associated with that row? Is that typical behavior for a failing transistor?

Other thoughts? How to test transistor?

#3 7 years ago

As an update, it seems the longer I leave the machine powered OFF, the more likely the lights will work for a few minutes once turned off... sometime failing due to heat? and it cools off over an hour then works?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

May be one of the Qs. Could also be a cracked solder at the connector pin or loose wire. reflow the solder at the connector pins.

Do you mean the Q transistor solder joint or the lamp matrix connector?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

More often transistors work, short ON, or burn OPEN. Once they go, they don't usually come back.
An intermittent failure like you describe is more along the lines of [HORRIBLE NAME] SealClubber's reference to connectivity.

I'll look at the joints...

But I don't think that's it... it's almost scientific! I turn the game off for 30 mins, turn it on, they work for 5-10 minutes, begin to flicker and they're out. The entire row does the same thing exactly at the same time.

Sometimes they will come back after a few minutes and flicker.

It has to do with heat, or a failing electronic component. Solder joints/connectivity wouldn't have this repeatable, flicker effect... I don't believe?

Thanks for your thoughts.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

If the solder is cracked, it can expand and lose connectivity as it heats up. pull the driver board and look very closely at the back of the connector pins. if they look like there is a circle around it, it is cracked. Resolder the connector. This is common at connectors.

Thanks, I will.

I just need to know if we're talking the CPU where the Q is, or the interconnect board... or maybe both? I don't think you meant the Aux Driver board?

Where would you start?

#12 7 years ago

Bad connection at the interconnect board. Fixed it.

Now on to the NEXT set of problems...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nashua, NH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kilmarnock1350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-row-out-sys-11-rollergames?tu=kilmarnock1350 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.