By Angyalpor

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi!

I try to fix a Bally KISS pin, everything is perfect on it, but the K-I-S-S lamps on the backbox.
Anybody experienced the same, or got any idea, what can be the problem? The bulbs are good, and the wiring looks good, too.
One video is made during lamp test, the other during display test.
Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

The KISS lamps along the top are controlled by the auxiliary lamp board and not the main board. Since it appears that most of the KISS lamps are not lighting, I would think you are experiencing a problem with U2 and/or U3 on the board. But, it could be something as simple as bad connectors or a whole whack of transistors being fried. Either way, focus your efforts on the aux lamp driver on the inside left of the backbox.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for your answer!
I will check the aux lamp board, and then the transistors, too.
The funny for me, why the lamps are flashing sometimes during the lamp, and display test.
I thought, if the connectors or the transistors are wrong, then they should never works...

#4 10 years ago

Verify you connectors to the aux lamp board. Besides that one of the logic or decoder chips failed on the aux lamp boards(which is fairly common to have happen).

#5 10 years ago

Hm, thanks!

I will check the decoder chip on the board! But...how?

#6 10 years ago

Basically the decoder will have multiple inputs (three i think in this case). If the inputs change state (high / low) but the none of the outputs change (high / low) then the decoder has failed.

There is two types of aux lamp boards with slightly different logic, but basically works the same way (and i dont remember off the top of my head what they are). The other logic chips can fail as well. With these you would probably need a logic probe and know how to test that particular kind of logic gate.

Do the connectors first tho. If an enable pin, 5v pin, ground, has a cracked solder joint/bad female connector none of the aux lamps will work.

#7 10 years ago

Hm, I download a schematic, and try to find out, where is the decoder chip...

#8 10 years ago

Most common issues are U2 & U3. U1 has been known to flake out as well. By the looks of your picture, I would agree with everyone else. Re-flow the male connector pins and retest. If the results are the same, replace U2 & U3.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys, in this week I will try, and report here, what happens!

2 weeks later
#10 10 years ago

Hm, I check the machine, for the first sight everything looks good. The connectors, everything.
But Monday I will reflow the two connectors, for sure.

3 months later
#11 10 years ago

Those little black chips need to be changed in the center of the aux lamp box

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 10.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-problem-with-bally-kiss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.