14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by Brokedad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plugger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 14 years ago

The 89 and 906 "flashers" are not only big and bright, but on pinball machines are typically run at higher than their continuous rated voltage of 12V. That means that if they were on continuously they would overheat and burn out fairly quickly. So they are used for only short term pulsed operation as "flashers" -- they are flashers by pinball game design convention rather than by the inherent characteristics of the bulbs.

The fact that the 89 and 906 bulbs in pinball applications are generally run at higher than rated voltages causes issues for at least one LED replacement bulbs maker -- bcspinball -- and has a voltage/current limiter mod for the flasher circuits (at least for DE games). Other makers like Ablaze seem to have designed their LEDs to handle the higher voltages without issue.

And the fact that pinball machines run their 89 and 906 bulbs at greater than 12V *might* mean that there are problems adapting automative LEDs designed for 12V to pinball applications, even if the base fittings are compatible. Safer to stick ith the bulbs specifically designed for pinball machines, I suspect.

#5 14 years ago

Well, now you've got the #89 LED, you can try it in various places to see what you think. The colour of the light is different -- the incandescant #89s are a much warmer and yellower white, whereas the Ablaze #89 white LEDs are cooler and bluer. I must admit I don't like them without out a coloured insert in front of them -- I find them harsh.

The coloured #89 Ablaze LEDs I like very much though... the blue and green ones I've got look great, both behind coloured inserts, and flashing under the playfield to illuminate the holes. The playfield holes are much more interesting now with coloured flashers than before with the white incandescents, imho anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods
Other
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plugger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-mistake?tu=plugger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.