By Adams_Tales

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lamp matrix ghosting TZ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adams_Tales.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a problem with the lamp matrix on my newly restored TZ. Since I bought the machine there has been minor ghosting issues on the inserts; "the Camera" and "Clock Millions". After I put playfield back in ad assembled things and turned on the machine, there has been some sewere ghosting problems, both in attract mode, in game and on test mode, single lamp test. I have been reading different posts here and elsewhere, tested a lot, but problem still there. I'm stuck

As illustrated on attached illustration, when I test a lamp from row #2 also the lamp in row #6 lights up, almost as bright. When I test #7 also the lamp in row #6 lights up. Thats goes for all collumns. So a clear pattern here.

What I have done
1) I have connected red wire from one column to another, which moved the issue to corresponding lamps in that column (I haven't done so with yellow wire though - maybe I ought to?)
2) I have tested continuity tested between transisters to spot a potentil short. there was none.
3) I have measured transistors - all of them measured in the right ranges
I guess that rules out a board problem??

4) I have measured all diodes connected to lamps, also on the lamp boards
5) I inspected all diodes on lamp sockets to check for obvious shorts - none

I have also read this recommended link about lamp matrix problems (but it seems only to give a description of shorts between columns caused by a broken diode - not between rows): https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting/

The game was fitted with inexpensive LED's when I got it. I will give it a try swapping to incandescent bulbs. I have read it could be an issue.

But apart from that I feel stranded. I am much more into mechanics tha electric problems. So any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Lamp matrix ghosting TZ (resized).jpgLamp matrix ghosting TZ (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Update

I changed all bulbs for incandescent except popbumpers, startbutton and Buy in button. apparently all is good, but by second look the culprits still glowing slightly though not disturbing like before. But problem is still there. PinballManiac40 could those 5 bulbs cause that same pattern of ghosting (I would guess no)??

athens95 even though i didn't measure any shorts on transistors and the values passed the right measurements when measuring the legs, could it still be weak, causing those problems? And thus worth giving a try replacing?

Please bare with my rookie questions - and thank you both for replying.

Thomas

#10 3 years ago

*** UPDATE - SOLVED ***

Thank you Roamin athens95 and PinballManiac40 for your contributions.

I just performed more testing, which made me find the culprit - lamp #85 Slot machine. Here is what I did:

1) First of all I made at test securing 100% that it was not board related, ruling aout any component. I made a single lamp I could attach directly to the driver board, bypassing the wire harness.
2) I then did the single lamp test again. I found that the lamps in row 2 and 7 no longer made row 6 ghost/flicker. Ex I tested lamp #12 and then (still testing lamp #12) moved my wires to pins on driverboard for lamp # 16. there was no longer ghosting, ruling out a board problem.
3) Knowing it wasn't board related, I tested the rows individually by deattaching J133 followed by making connection one row at a time.
4) During this I learned that lamp # 85 was lit way more than i was supposed to be, amking it a candidate for thorough inspection.
5) The socket on # 85 was bent slightly making contact to adjacent ball guide. I bent it back and isolated it with some duck tape and also added a diode on that socket.

And now the ghosting has disapeared.

/Thomas

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adams_Tales.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-matrix-problems-twilight-zone?tu=Adams_Tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.