6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 6 years ago

Hi recently acquired a rocky Bullwinkle pinball. Have everything working except for a weird lamp issue. The controlled lamps that spell the word SELECT is always on. when it shouldn't. In single lamp test the Lamps in the world SELECT come on when other lamps are tested. e.g bot blue lamp in spin & win would also light the L lamp. drop target 1 lamp would also light the S lamp. I think its a bad diode somewhere but do not know how to proceed to pinpoint which one it
is. Or do i have to do the hard yards and test every single diode on the lamp matrix. Any help would be great. Cheers!

#2 6 years ago

Replace Q66.
That's the column transistor.
It's broken and shorted.

#3 6 years ago

Thks Inkochnito. I thought non working transistor would render the lamp column non working? I have already replaced a few transistors on the board & assumed it was a diode problem because the lights were still working on the SELECT daisies. For future reference. lights always on also indicates a faulty driver or predriver transistor? thks for the help again. appreciate it!!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Wamphyr1:

Thks Inkochnito. I thought non working transistor would render the lamp column non working? I have already replaced a few transistors on the board & assumed it was a diode problem because the lights were still working on the SELECT daisies. For future reference. lights always on also indicates a faulty driver or predriver transistor? thks for the help again. appreciate it!!

Transistors can fail in two main ways.

(1) They go 'open circuit' - basically like a fuse, they just stop conducting and so the circuit stops

(2) They go 'short circuit' which means some parts (it can vary exactly which ones) short together inside the package resulting in them (usually) becoming a piece of wire (as in your case it seems)

#5 6 years ago

Hi again, I managed to change the q66(tip42) transistor but still no change in the lights. Did more test in single lamp mode & noticed that the select daisy letters do not always come on when testing other specific lamps. And it also comes on and different brightness levels as well during the test eg is on & bright when testing spin and win blue lamp, is also on when testing another lamp but is alot dimmer, hope you can understand what i mean. I also noticed that other lamps are affected which should not be on are also coming on in single lamp test. Should i go ahead and change the predriver transitor or do you think its another problem. Thanks again for the help. Cheers!! Much appreciated.

#6 6 years ago

Check / measure RA7 (4.7K resistor array).
Maybe the 74LS08 at 9F is broken.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Wamphyr1:

Hi recently acquired a rocky Bullwinkle pinball. Have everything working except for a weird lamp issue. The controlled lamps that spell the word SELECT is always on. when it shouldn't. In single lamp test the Lamps in the world SELECT come on when other lamps are tested. e.g bot blue lamp in spin & win would also light the L lamp. drop target 1 lamp would also light the S lamp. I think its a bad diode somewhere but do not know how to proceed to pinpoint which one it
is. Or do i have to do the hard yards and test every single diode on the lamp matrix. Any help would be great. Cheers!

Are Extra Ball and the Launch Button locked on, too? If it's the transistor that whole column would be acting the same way, and those two lights are in the same column as the SELECT lights.

I just fixed a similar problem on a Jackbot that turned out to be a combination of the transistor and one of the resistors that tested okay, but on magnification was cracked and probably not working under load.

#8 6 years ago

Hey guys, found the problem. disconnected all the lights in column 6 one by one and found that previous owner had changed the launch ball button to a
non standard one and did not connect a reconnect a diode to the light. Wired up a new diode and problem fixed. Thank you for Inkochnito & vireland for taking the time to assist a fellow pinballer. Thks a million & Cheers dudes!!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Wamphyr1:

Hey guys, found the problem. disconnected all the lights in column 6 one by one and found that previous owner had changed the launch ball button to a
non standard one and did not connect a reconnect a diode to the light. Wired up a new diode and problem fixed. Thank you for Inkochnito & vireland for taking the time to assist a fellow pinballer. Thks a million & Cheers dudes!!

No problem. By looking at whatever other lights are in the row or column with the affected ones, sometimes you can get clues that lead you to the solution like this. Glad you figured it out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,900 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-matrix-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.