(Topic ID: 221804)

Lamp Matrix MOSFET upgrade on sys 9 MPU?

By 72Devilz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MarAlb
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mosfet_bottom (resized).jpg
mosfet _top (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

never done it to sys 9 but it works fine in sys 3-7 and 11. Considering the circuit didnt change, sys 9 should be fine.

There have been reports of exploding mosfets and predrivers because the Vgs rating is close to maximum. I use legit FQP17P06 and never had trouble. Do know there are counterfeit mosfets out there and I suspect that might be at least part of the cause of reported failures.

The voltage dividing setup is best, but I have gotten away with using a 1K 1W(just so it fits better) instead of the 27ohm 5w. I would not recommend using zero ohm resistor. A resistor like 1K can still turn on the gate, but allow current limiting if the mosfet shorts.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

I appreciate the feedback guys! Here is another idea, since there is an issue with excessive heat on two of the channels another idea I have is installing a larger resistor or even attaching a heatsink to help dissipate the heat, if I leave the board as is and play it as little as I do the board will last a few more years before the heat does irreversible damage at those locations. I've even considered moving all the matrix resistors off board to eliminate the possibility of heat all together. Just curious what others have done in this case. TIA!

burning up resistors is usually a symptom of a stuck on lamp circuit. They are constantly strobed, but when they lock on for whatever reason be it a blown 7408 blanking chip or the main transistor itself, those resistors can burn up. So if just one or two resistors get hot enough to burn a 5w resistor then something else is probably wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-matrix-mosfet-upgrade-on-sys-9-mpu?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.