(Topic ID: 169305)

Lamp column out on Stern World Poker Tour (SAM)

By robin

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

141.jpg
q1_pin5_u9_hilo (resized).jpg
pin_5_on_u9 (resized).jpg
lamp_matrix (resized).png
schematic (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Hi all! I have a problem with a pretty heavily routed Stern World poker Tour I just picked up.

Aside from multiple other small issues and a pretty bad playfield, I have an issue with lamp column 2: all lamps stay off and it looks like the problem is on the board (I get continuity from the board pins at J13 to each lamp in column 2.

Looking at the schematic, I suspect the problem to be either the transistor at U11 (VN02N) or the IC at U9 (74HCT273). But how do I find out which one is causing the issue? I only have a multimeter and my trusty ol' logic probe.

lamp_matrix (resized).pnglamp_matrix (resized).png
schematic (resized).pngschematic (resized).png

Any help is appreciated!

#3 7 years ago

You can stick your logic probe on pin 16 of U9 to find out if its sending pulses, chances are it is in which case you would replace U11. Or, you can just replace U11 since odds are that would be a win.

1 year later
#4 6 years ago

Can't believe it's been a year since I worked on this game. But yes, I was awfully busy and the game just sat in a corner collecting dust. Well, after a few nights of work, the game is now finally shopped out and back together with some new parts, plastics etc and looking and playing great.

But that lamp column #02 is still out.

Time to fix this once and for all. First a little correction: I mentioned U11 in my opening post but I meant to say U16. According to the lamp matrix, that's the solid state relay driving my column.

I have replaced the corresponding VN02N, but the problem persists. I measure no output at J13-P8 and the lamp column does not light up.

So I guess the next thing to look at would be the 74HCT273 at U9 that is driving my relay? I have a scope pen here, but I'm unsure which leg I should measure? The schematic tells me I should get a hi/lo on Q1 (pin 5 of the IC).

pin_5_on_u9 (resized).jpgpin_5_on_u9 (resized).jpg

Am I measuring the right leg of the IC?

q1_pin5_u9_hilo (resized).jpgq1_pin5_u9_hilo (resized).jpg

My pen is blinking hi/lo. Does that mean the IC is okay?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

My pen is blinking hi/lo. Does that mean the IC is okay?

I would say it is. It looks like U16 has been replaced before, it's possible that it could be bad again or a thru hole or run could be damaged, I would look at it very closely.

edit...I missed that you already replaced U16, do you have good continuity to/from the power relay?

#6 6 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, I soldered in a new VN02N back in september last year. When that didn't work I kind of lost interest (and time).

Anyways, I'm gonna measure continuity from that U16 to all 5 of its connections, good idea.

#7 6 years ago

Since we don't know the history of the previous U16, (shorted inside maybe?) it could have blown R141 by the 18Volt.
So when you have the multimeter at hand, measure the resistance of R 141 ( and/or compare with 143, 139 )

141.jpg141.jpg

#8 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I did some measuring yesterday. First I measured continuity between the VN02N and all its connections.

Leg 1 to ground
Leg 2 to the left side of R140
Leg 3 to the other middle legs of U11..U15
Leg 4 to the left side of D39
Leg 5 to J13 pin 8

All checked out.

Then I measured R140 and R141 for resistance and these also checked out (values compared to working U11 section).

With everything measuring fine and a valid signal coming from U9 I was stuck again. Could my replacement VN02N have failed again? Well, since I had a bunch of VN02Ns laying around, I figured "what the heck" and cut off U16 and replaced it with a new one.

Guess what? It works!

So either I installed a faulty VN02N the first time (highly unlikely) or I destroyed it while soldering it in (possible)? Or it immediately short-circuited again due to something messed up under the playfield? And of course, then I did my playfield shopout (which had me remove all lamps from the playfield) before soldering in the second VN02N today. That's where I'm putting my money: my shopping out removed a short circuit lamp socket.

Who knows, but I'm glad it's working again - Time to ante up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lamp-column-out-on-stern-world-poker-tour-sam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.