Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _KIRK_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TERRAHAWKS-poster-800px_grande (resized).jpg
    LANCELOTLINK2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    phantasm3 (resized).jpg
    phantasm1 (resized).jpg
    24de0ea1_uELXo (resized).jpg
    Twb4gx81BJ-and-the-Bear21 (resized).jpg
    722B3313-63BF-4B20-B37E-EB0CCDE6A2BD (resized).jpeg
    teddyruxpin-e (resized).png
    zathura_by_joeyhellman-d4ayc5u1.jpg
    TheGooniesSlot.jpeg
    g (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    cebd8c1b5bbe20277a8583cdb979f5cc--gi-joe-gourmet.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfre81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 6 years ago

Dialed In! is a pure show of guts by JJP, to put a loaded original theme out when the safe play in a home collector-oriented market is take a popular license, that is ideally still relevant. Basically a dare to Stern to do the same - and that's what Steve Ritchie is working on, so we hear. =

DI's layout doesn't blaze all that much ground - it's vintage Lawlor, full of toys. It's like he took TZ, made it flow much better, didn't waste so much playfield and didn't have pops that drain right into the outlanes.

I would hazard a guess the OP is not clamoring for a new Elvira pinball in 2018.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have a hard time believing anyone is.
    But after being on this forum for a while and reading what some people are clamoring for, it's not that surprising.

Exhibit A:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Pin is in the name . I loved this guy when I was a kid

And just like Teddy Ruxpin, a pinball machine always breaks.

#73 6 years ago

Maybe the Flight of the Navigator pinball would time-travel you eight years into the future when 90s nostalgia is the thing and we get pins with Limp Bizkit and Marvin the Martian.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yep, none of those would get my money. Toy Story is pretty much the only one that is confirmed at this point? How about Office Space?

Tilt callout:

"Yeah, if you could stop shaking the machine excessively, that'dbe greeeeat"

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

To me, the problem is that themes aren't coupled with the game mechanics. A crap theme might not attract me much, but a favorite theme slapped on a generic playfield won't hold my attention for long either. If it's a nostalgic theme, great. If it's new, great. If it plays like crap, neither matters. If it's a generic playfield that plays good but doesn't bring anything new, it will not age well.
    In my mind, the things that make a game great are
    a) things that add chaos in a meaningful way(strategic magnets, bumpers, etc)
    b) things that play with the ball in some way evocative of the theme(Thing from TAF, the Crate from SS, Sparky from Metallica, etc)
    That's why I dig the custom games. Do something interesting and new(or just a twist on something classic), then I'm dropping quarters, unless the theme is so shite that I can't get over it.

I'm pretty much the same way.

Pinball is so rare in the wild that I'm probably not going to pass up giving one a try if I find it out there, because the theme is lame. It could be Barney the dinosaur on the translite and I'll probably give it a go. (I just hope the sound is off or the volume is really, really low)

One thing that helps a themed game work is the designer(s) buy into the theme. If they do, the higher the chance that players will. Star Trek: The Next Generation is a perfect example of a theme that could have been poorly executed in a pinball. Steve Ritchie and team, virtually all ST fans, had to sell the game to Paramount to get the license, because Paramount did not want "violence." But they acquired it, and did possibly a better job of integrating a theme into a pinball game than any other - while also making a game non-ST fans could enjoy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfre81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lame-nostalgic-themes?tu=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.