4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TERRAHAWKS-poster-800px_grande (resized).jpg
    LANCELOTLINK2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    phantasm3 (resized).jpg
    phantasm1 (resized).jpg
    24de0ea1_uELXo (resized).jpg
    Twb4gx81BJ-and-the-Bear21 (resized).jpg
    722B3313-63BF-4B20-B37E-EB0CCDE6A2BD (resized).jpeg
    teddyruxpin-e (resized).png
    zathura_by_joeyhellman-d4ayc5u1.jpg
    TheGooniesSlot.jpeg
    g (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    cebd8c1b5bbe20277a8583cdb979f5cc--gi-joe-gourmet.jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 months ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

I would absolutely love to see a "The Sandlot" game. Wendy Peffercorn, Squints, Hercules, and the Great Bambino.... what more could you ask for?

It's the Great Hambino, you're killing me Smalls!

#102 4 months ago

It almost seems like when done right any theme might be possible in pinball.

But, I would probably drop a quarter in almost any of these. That's why I like arcades. Variety.

I would probably play them all.

Californication pinball. Runkel mode.

#103 4 months ago

image (resized).jpeg

#104 4 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yep, none of those would get my money. Toy Story is pretty much the only one that is confirmed at this point? How about Office Space?

Tilt callout:

"Yeah, if you could stop shaking the machine excessively, that'dbe greeeeat"

#105 4 months ago
    Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp!

And the Evolution Revolution.

LANCELOTLINK2 (resized).jpg

#106 4 months ago

It’s all preference and for many themes they grew up with.

Goonies
    Gremlins
    Back to the Future
    Toy Story

All home runs for me, especially Goonies and Back to the Future. Doesn’t get any better. I’d rather have them than Harry Potter

#107 4 months ago

Terrahawks - Weird puppet based 80s TV show.

TERRAHAWKS-poster-800px_grande (resized).jpg

#108 4 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

obviously you know little about Jethro Tull music and just how popular his band was. I'd like to see it or pin based on Uriah Heaps music would b great.

"Was" is the key word here. I'm not saying theyre terrible I do like their music, but I can think of 10 bands off the top of my head that would fit pinball better than flute rock AND are still culturally relevant. Can you honestly come up with a list of 10 popular Jethro Tull songs (assuming 10 modes in a game ) that would match the speed of playing pinball ?

#109 4 months ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

I can think of 10 bands off the top of my head that would fit pinball better than flute rock AND are still culturally relevant.

Go

#110 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Terrahawks - Weird puppet based 80s TV show.

I'd rather have a "Team America" pin.

#111 4 months ago

Queen
    Iron Maiden ( coming, but until Iz sees it Iz don't believez it)
    Van Halen
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Ozzy Osborne / Black Sabbath
    Motley Crue
    Judas Priest
    Rush
    Megadeth

#112 4 months ago

Robin Trower
    Ten Years After
    Led Zepplin
    Rush Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Iron Maiden
    Hendrix
    Stevie Ray Yaughn
    Pink Floyd
    Lynard skinnard
    Allman Brothers

#113 4 months ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

You could easily mashup all of those lame themes into one super meta nostalgia and call it "Stranger Things"
    I love that show, but its unwatchable after the first watch. I guess that says something for its appeal.

To somewhat riff on this-the ultimate theme/impossible to license-why not a "Ready Player One" pin based on the book, or possibly the movie. To be clear-I loved the book.

#114 4 months ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

To somewhat riff on this-the ultimate theme/impossible to license-why not a "Ready Player One" pin based on the book, or possibly the movie. To be clear-I loved the book.

I actually love this idea. Perhaps this is a back door method to get me excited about an 80s nostalgia title.

#115 4 months ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

I was thinking the same thing one day. I like a bunch of diff heavy metal bands, but I can admit that most of them don't have a back log to pull off an entire pin theme.

I thought it would be cool do do something like the game Brutal Legend where it features songs from various artists with an over arching theme. So each band would have its own mode. GODS OF ragnaROCK 2019!

#116 4 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Robin Trower
    Ten Years After
    Led Zepplin
    Rush Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Iron Maiden
    Hendrix
    Stevie Ray Yaughn
    Pink Floyd
    Lynard skinnard
    Allman Brothers

Prince or David Bowie would be my choices! RIP.

#117 4 months ago

The most amusing thing about this thread is how it devolved into a "list your favourite pinball themes" fest, all of which are the exact opposite of the poster's point.

An original theme game KILLED IT in the TWIPY awards this year. It was good enough to make me sell my TRON:LE and buy it. I hope we'll see more.

#118 4 months ago

A ready player one pin would just be kick ass. This is a no brainer to me. They must be doing this, right? With the movie coming. It would it make complete sense. Of course we don't know.

#119 4 months ago

To me, the problem is that themes aren't coupled with the game mechanics. A crap theme might not attract me much, but a favorite theme slapped on a generic playfield won't hold my attention for long either. If it's a nostalgic theme, great. If it's new, great. If it plays like crap, neither matters. If it's a generic playfield that plays good but doesn't bring anything new, it will not age well.
    In my mind, the things that make a game great are
    a) things that add chaos in a meaningful way(strategic magnets, bumpers, etc)
    b) things that play with the ball in some way evocative of the theme(Thing from TAF, the Crate from SS, Sparky from Metallica, etc)

That's why I dig the custom games. Do something interesting and new(or just a twist on something classic), then I'm dropping quarters, unless the theme is so shite that I can't get over it.

#120 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

It’s all preference and for many themes they grew up with.
    Goonies
    Gremlins
    Back to the Future
    Toy Story
    All home runs for me, especially Goonies and Back to the Future. Doesn’t get any better. I’d rather have them than Harry Potter

Back to the Future and Toy Story would be cool. Goonies and Gremlins would be lame.

#121 4 months ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

To me, the problem is that themes aren't coupled with the game mechanics. A crap theme might not attract me much, but a favorite theme slapped on a generic playfield won't hold my attention for long either. If it's a nostalgic theme, great. If it's new, great. If it plays like crap, neither matters. If it's a generic playfield that plays good but doesn't bring anything new, it will not age well.
    In my mind, the things that make a game great are
    a) things that add chaos in a meaningful way(strategic magnets, bumpers, etc)
    b) things that play with the ball in some way evocative of the theme(Thing from TAF, the Crate from SS, Sparky from Metallica, etc)
    That's why I dig the custom games. Do something interesting and new(or just a twist on something classic), then I'm dropping quarters, unless the theme is so shite that I can't get over it.

I'm pretty much the same way.

Pinball is so rare in the wild that I'm probably not going to pass up giving one a try if I find it out there, because the theme is lame. It could be Barney the dinosaur on the translite and I'll probably give it a go. (I just hope the sound is off or the volume is really, really low)

One thing that helps a themed game work is the designer(s) buy into the theme. If they do, the higher the chance that players will. Star Trek: The Next Generation is a perfect example of a theme that could have been poorly executed in a pinball. Steve Ritchie and team, virtually all ST fans, had to sell the game to Paramount to get the license, because Paramount did not want "violence." But they acquired it, and did possibly a better job of integrating a theme into a pinball game than any other - while also making a game non-ST fans could enjoy.

#122 4 months ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Back to the Future and Toy Story would be cool. Goonies and Gremlins would be lame.

Goonies?!?! You take that back young man!!!! Hahaha

#123 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Goonies?!?! You take that back young man!!!! Hahaha

Imagine making shots to "play" the skeleton organ. Miss enough before making the shots, and the table opens up on you and drains the ball.
    Have big "stones" coming out to block shots(like the room where they found Chester Copperpot). Make shots to a balance scale, one on each plate. Put too much on one plate, and it spills. Alternate the shots correctly, and you get the final multiball.
    Lots of interesting, theme related things you could be doing.

#124 4 months ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Imagine making shots to "play" the skeleton organ. Miss enough before making the shots, and the table opens up on you and drains the ball.
    Have big "stones" coming out to block shots(like the room where they found Chester Copperpot). Make shots to a balance scale, one on each plate. Put too much on one plate, and it spills. Alternate the shots correctly, and you get the final multiball.
    Lots of interesting, theme related things you could be doing.

Sounds fantastic to me! The license is ripe for pinball. Probably my #1 dream theme. That and Back To The Future.

#125 4 months ago
    Quoted from Prefect:

Mad Max Fury Road
    Odd ones that I think could make very interest unconventional themes:
    Glengary Glenn Ross - This one could work I think. "Coffee is for closers" would be one of the best pinball taunts
    Dr.Strangelove
    Naked Gun
    Spaceballs
    UHF
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Inglorious Bastards
    Kill Bill
    Sin City
    Watchmen
    Logan
    Deadpool

I bet a lot of people would be interested in a Space Balls pin. It's more popular now than it was when it came out in the theaters.
    ... as far as 300, Gottlieb did that already.

#126 4 months ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Roc-ky...road....CACA!

Take the WD zombie bash toy off the well and make the top silicone and it can be the truffle shuffle bash toy for Goonies.

#127 4 months ago

Not "nostalgic", but would make a great game. Plus, watching this preview, there are great ideas for you guys who like to slap dolls onto your games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 6.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 86.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    $ 12.95
    $ 63.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 24.50
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside