Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MES
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So, I just picked up a LAH. It worked at the sellers house. Now, I got it home, set it up, and it blows the top 30VAC Circut fuse. (Its an 8amp slow blo) (The top one of the two that is not on either of the boards). It also blows F5 on the lower board. When first turning the machine on it appears as if all the solinoids lock on, the shaker motor kicks on, and there is a large hum sound. I also get some garbage on the DMD and only one light on the mpu. Where do I start to diagnose this?

#2 11 years ago

I would start by reseating all the connectors up top, they get goofy on car rides all the time, the top left board I would pull those connectors and reconnect them all and disconect the ribbon cables and reconnect, and push on the game roms to make sure they are seated

Chris

#4 11 years ago

It has to be something that came loose. Look over every connector and wire with a FINE tooth comb.

#5 11 years ago

Sounds like one of two things is going on here-

Scenario 1- Your PPB has bad FET's on it, which are probably dead short (causing all sollenoids to lock and blow the fuse). You can test them with a DMM on diode test, or continuity beep. If any of the 3 legs have a short, the FET is bad.

Scenario 2- You have a short under the playfield. Inspect the wiring harness carefully, especially near the sollenoids. Ensure no wires have come loose and nothing is touching metal.

To help narrow down the problem, I would pull out the schematic and find all of the sollenoid output connectors. Unplug all of them, see if the DMD fault clears and the game boots. If it does, its a sollenoid problem. If it does not, its a PCB problem. Connect them back one at a time until the faul re-appears to figure out what area the issue is.

Hope this helps, LAH is a great game! I miss mine

#6 11 years ago

translation please:

FET? What does that mean

#7 11 years ago

FET is the big TIP36 on the PPB board. Definatley what I would be checking as well. Pretty sure there are 3 on that PPB. The PPB is the bottom left board in the backbox.

#8 11 years ago

I unplugged everything on the PBB. The same thing still happened. Does that mean it is an MPU issue? And how would the FET's react on a continuity test?

#9 11 years ago

did you put the back down? you might have a pinched wire i would start there

#10 11 years ago

this happened to me on a BR

#11 11 years ago

No pinched wires, any other ideas? How should the FETs react to a continuity test?

#12 11 years ago

Outer Middle Outer on the transistor

You are just looking for less than 50 ohms between the pins.
Measure ohms this way. (Don't worry much about if the red or black is on which pins)

Outer to Middle
Middle to other outer
Outer to Outer

Just is the simpliest way to check all the TIP36C parts.
I don't remember if the LAH has 2 or 3 of these TIP36C transistors. I would have to look at my machine later on.
If one of the TIP36C parts is shorted, you'll notice the other ones will not be shorted.

#13 11 years ago

The TIP36C is a TO-220 package which means the left lead is the base, which is always your reference point. With your DMM in diode/continuity mode do the following:

1. Put the DMM's black lead on the left leg of the transistor.
2. Test to the middle leg and the right leg with the red lead.
3. You should get a reading between .3 - .8 volts on each.
4. Put the red lead on the left leg of the transistor.
5, Test to the middle leg and the right leg with the black lead.
6. Your DMM should read open on each.

Just to be clear, TIP36's are not FET's.

See the following aritcle for more info on testing transistors:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/ss-tutorials/120-electronics-tutorial-2-transistors

#14 11 years ago

Forgot an important part: the left lead when the metal tab is facing away from you and the leads are pointing down.

#15 11 years ago

I did notice my K1 (Plastic block of switches) Flashes on start up. Change anyones ideas? (Im going to grab my board and test them now.)

1 week later
#16 11 years ago

I did replaced 2 of the 5 Tip36C's. (The 2 that were shorted.) It still does the same thing on start up. Where do I go from here? Is it an MPU or PS problem?

#18 11 years ago

I've got the same problem. While looking for a shorted coil I noticed that the fuses for all the magnets under the playfield were blown as well. I am also not getting the correct readings off of the 2 bridge rectifiers inside the backbox. Haven't had time to check the power supply. I think I only have 1 of the Tip 36C's at spec. I dig into it more this week and report back. Seems like a lot of problems to just happen all at once.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.