(Topic ID: 200516)

LAH: Ripper, magnets out, need help

By EvanDickson

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm frustrated, the schematics in the LAH manual don't match reality.

The issue: the ripper coil completely burned. I replaced it. Checked Q13 and Q7 on CPU per schematics and they're ok. Powered up and started running through diagnostics.

Ripper still not working. Noticed magnets are out too. Checked fuses, since I previously forgot. Found fuse F9 was blown. Yay.
Replaced it and found F9 blows on boot. Boo.

Tested Q1 on PPB and found it to be shorted. I think this explains the ripper still not working, maybe also why the coil previously overheated and burned.

The frustration I'm having is that there are no references to the magnets in the schematics, and the schematics also only document F1-F6 on the PPB board, but not F7, F8, F9, which are mentioned in the manual, but absent from the drawings. I'm thinking schematics are for an earlier generation or generic drawings while the board is specific to LAH.

I'm trying to figure out if there are other parts I need to test for the magnets part of the issue before I place an order for the 1 blown TIP transistor.

Has anyone ever had the magnets go out on their LAH, and if so, how did you trace the problem?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Yeah had the same issue diagrams don't really help. I used the downloaded manual.

I disconnected the magnet board. then repaired the ripper solenoid my one was blowing a fuse. Replaced the fuse tested ripper all good. You could have a shorted coil or transistor. Just get that working with the magnet board unplugged.

Plugged in the magnet board blew fuse when the ripper was activated. Magnet board got new transistors and ic (whatever it was) I also had cut tracks I repaired all good now!!!!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from fugus:

Yeah had the same issue diagrams don't really help. I used the downloaded manual.
I disconnected the magnet board. then repaired the ripper solenoid my one was blowing a fuse. Replaced the fuse tested ripper all good. You could have a shorted coil or transistor. Just get that working with the magnet board unplugged.
Plugged in the magnet board blew fuse when the ripper was activated. Magnet board got new transistors and ic (whatever it was) I also had cut tracks I repaired all good now!!!!

Thanks! I've ordered new ic plus transistors for magnet board as well, and will try replacing them. Big bucks, no whammies!

#4 6 years ago

You may want to check the resistance on those magnet coils check there's no shorts may undo all your hard work. All 3 should measure about the same.

Those schematics don't link the ripper and the magnet board but they use the same line.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from fugus:

You may want to check the resistance on those magnet coils check there's no shorts may undo all your hard work. All 3 should measure about the same.
Those schematics don't link the ripper and the magnet board but they use the same line.

Yup, checked for short on magnets, all have about 5 to 6 ohm resistance, so I think they're good.

#6 6 years ago

I got my parts order this morning, replaced Q1 on the PPB, and blindly replaced the IC, Transistors, and Cap on the magnet board. I now have Ripper and Magnets back, yay!

Thanks all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-ripper-magnets-out-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.