Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by eyeamred2u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I have an opportunity to buy both a Last Action Hero and a Johnny Menemonic. But only can afford one. I've played LAH and thought it was pretty good. Never played JM. Which do you recommend?

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Johnny 100%
Learn the rules and bend w them and you’ll enjoy it a lot

#4 1 year ago

JM is a bottom W/B machine for me...but obviously well above LAH.

#5 1 year ago

This is JM no question. I miss mine.

#6 1 year ago

I had a JM for 6 years It is super fast and the glove is badass!I love the glove drop strategy.Definitely get the JM I wish I still had mine

#7 1 year ago

JM is the better shooter. LAH is loaded on paper eith some neat mechanical stuff and a topper and better for kids.

#9 1 year ago

Johnny is fun and fast to shoot. Only thing I don't like is the video mode. LAH feels clunky by comparison.

#11 1 year ago

I'd play both and see which one you like. I had both and Johnny is really fast, but it's a basic layout with a glove mechanism that's cool, but the novelty wears off. If you want a fast game, JM is it--there isn't much faster in its price range. LAH is fun with the crane, topper lights, and six ball multiball--certainly more fun for kids and casuals, so if you have guests that wouldn't be into the cyber punk theme of JM, maybe LAH is the better choice. Down the road, it would be easier to trade or sell JM because Williams brand snobs are more numerous than Data East fans.

If they are exactly the same price--JM. If LAH is $500+ cheaper, I'd take LAH and put the extra cash toward the next pin.

#12 1 year ago

Johnny. One of the few games I really regret selling.

#13 1 year ago

My first thought was “tough call”. But I gave it a bit more thought, and Johnny wins this contest. If they were next to each other, I’d want to play JM more than LAH.

#14 1 year ago

Jmn all the way, my opinion its no comparison.

#15 1 year ago

Ok I’ll be the minority here had several JMs over the years cool game but just didn’t hold my interest. Yes it has the cool hand and game play is actually good but just gets old fast. LAH I found was a blast to play and unique enough to keep me coming back. It survived through several rotations of JM. Plus LAH is a better bang for the buck given it generally sells for 25 to 30% less.

#16 1 year ago

LAH fan here. I remember playing a super nice example at TPF and can’t get it out of my head. Lighting, color dmd, subwoofer, shaker, etc. it was great

#17 1 year ago

Lah is great for a short while but gets old I've not had a ton of time on jm but it gets great reviews from respected friends.

#18 1 year ago

If LAH’s wizard mode wasn’t so lack luster, I would go with that. But JM gets the nod from me too.

#19 1 year ago

JM and not even close.

One of the fastest games made imo. Cool modes. Midnight madness. Glove is lame.

#20 1 year ago

LAH. Shaker, crane, kickback, magnets, captive balls, 6 ball multi and more. Just change out the big head Arnold.

#21 1 year ago

Generally a B/W fan here. Have owned LAH, have not owned JM, but have played it. I think I'd go with LAH on this one. It's got enough modes and variety to keep it interesting. The toys and six ball multiball will keep everyone entertained. Wizard mode can be accomplished, but not often.

#22 1 year ago

JM all the way. Not incredibly deep but an extremely fast and FUN shooter...hitting those ramps feels great. One of the few DMD games also where ripping the spinner is actually a (some consider too good) scoring strategy...you don't see that much.

LAH is pretty bland. Standard copy/paste set of 11ish Data East modes and a clunky layout. Not a fan.

#23 1 year ago

keep us updated on which you go with! is the Jm coming from barrie?!

I think it depends on what kind of player you are. JM main ramp shots look and shoot a lot like Rocky and Bullwinkle haha. but for LAH, its not actually 'clunky', but if you see the modes, the scoring opportunities in hitting the spinner and the pops is designed to milk the timer if you miss and hit either scoop. This is not a flow style game but instead a great compliment if you have a couple fan style layouts sitting beside it. It has all the gimmicks, including magnets and a shaker motor and good variety of modes. Also, the jackpot and getting to double jackpot and the 6 ball challenge to get to super jackpot shows the sharp shooter strategy the team was going for, that included names like Borg and Lyman. Has a LITZ mode, when successfully lighting L A H modes and that shoots out the balls until the timer is over.

the negatives is, if you are looking for a flow game, you won't get it here. the left ramp shot is DE all day, the right side vuk i wish had another route to fall into the pops more of the time.

The JM looks like a great flow game, but will it get much play beside another fan layout?

The maybes are, it has updated code that make the game feel more updated, see v1.13, and it has a great Pin2DMD colour dmd option by ME, that includes 64colour cut scenes from the movie that replace many mode scenes, the multiball lit sequence, extra ball, shoot again, game over etc.

#24 1 year ago

I was going to try and help the discussion but everything has been said about these 2 pins so my opinion means little so I will add this.
JM is fast and furious and cost more money
LAH is the better pin for casual players and may last longer in a home enviorment.
cant go wrong with either and you can always sell and put it toward the next after you get board of it (and you will get board of both over time).

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If LAH’s wizard mode wasn’t so lack luster, I would go with that. But JM gets the nod from me too.

I came to say exactly this. Flail away until you get 50 million(which is impossible not to) then the flippers die and the game starts over. Powerdown on the other hand, is pretty sweet

#26 1 year ago

Owned both, JM all the way, JM is fast, glove madness, LAH is really fun, is clunky at times but has a fun theme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-or-jm-?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.