Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jwo825
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have one issue left on a resurrected LAH that I just can't solve. Immediately upon powering up, the knocker coil locks on. i replaced the associated transistor and it has not remedied the problem. I noticed that the associated flashers with that circuit are also locking on so I disconnected the knocker to diagnose further.

I discovered that when any flasher in the game fires, the 3 in the knocker circuit lock on and will remain locked on until any coil is activated. Then they will go out. When the flashers are locked on, the knocker coil will de energize. So it looks like the flashers or the knocker coil will lock on based on whether a flasher or coil has previously fired.

I have replaced every IC in the circuit for the flashers as well as the ram and the EPROM and nothing fixes it. The problem is definitely on the MPU board because I can replace it with a known good board and it works perfectly. It sounds like a crapped out relay to me but isn't the relay associated with this on the PPB?

Anyway, I did take a short video. Don't know how helpful it'll be but I'm out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 9 years ago

The predrive transistor tests good, but maybe that's bad anyway? I guess I'll try that. I'm all out of stuff to change on the MPU besides that.

#3 9 years ago

Well, I replaced the predrive transistor as well with no luck. I know I have a short to ground on the board somewhere but can't locate it.

#4 9 years ago

I'd be happy to take a look at that board for you if you want to ship it to me. PM me if you'd like to chat about it.

Jeff

#5 9 years ago

Sounds like a tantalum/ceramic cap in the circuit has died/shorted or the 40 pin ic that drives the circuit is bad. Try running Leon's chip if you can and test all the 6821's Otherwise if all ic's are good , it is common for a cap to short considering how old the games are now.
Had one short in a wpc sound sound board and it was a spanker. lol
Cheers and good luck

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Jeff but I'd rather do the work myself. I enjoy the work. I've just never encountered this problem before.

Hawk007, i'll take a look at the cap, thanks.

#7 9 years ago

Definitely run Leon's test ROM as well like Hawk suggested. It's an easy way to see if all of those PIAs are working properly. I've had them go out on Data East boards before.

#8 9 years ago

The schematic for DE aren't as clear to me as the ones for the WPC games. I changed the only PIA that is in the part of the circuit for the coils/flashers. Could a fault in another cause this problem?

2 weeks later
#9 9 years ago

I had the knocker issue on a LW3 and I fixed it by checking my driver board and testing Q1-Q5. Found a bad one and replaced it. Knocker no longer had issues.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I had the knocker issue on a LW3 and I fixed it by checking my driver board and testing Q1-Q5. Found a bad one and replaced it. Knocker no longer had issues.

I thought about this but replacing the MPU with a known working one solved the issue. The issue is definitely on the MPU board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-mpu-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.