• Latest reply 2 years ago by Bos007
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lah_5V.png
#1 2 years ago

On a LAH, I discovered a leaking capacitor C157 on the cpu board, rated 470uF 25V.
From my understanding, the 25v is the maximum voltage that can be applied on that capacitor.

Since I don't have an exact replacement on hand, can I use a 470uF 16V, since the voltage is 5V ?
I also have a 680uF 25V or maybe I should stick to the original specs and order a 470uF 25V ?

thx.

lah_5V.pnglah_5V.png
#2 2 years ago

You can replace with a cap rated higher voltage, but not lower. So 16V cap would be unacceptable. Replacing 470 with 680 is almost a 50% increase. Look for a 470uF with 25V or higher rating. If you can see the tolerance on the old cap, or in the parts specifications, then you could go up or down on the uF if you remain within that tolerance. For instance, if the old cap is 470uF + or - 20%, then you could install a cap measuring between 376uF to 563uF.

#3 2 years ago

Since the cap is to filter the 5VDC, a cap rated at 16V should be adequate. The usual rule of thumb is to use a cap that is 3X the voltage anticipated.
I know this differs with JethroP but I think it will be OK.

Also, 470uf isn't really magic here. Other game systems from Williams and Gottlieb used a 100uf cap for the same purpose.
I would not use a cap of greater than 470uf, but anywhere between 100 and 470 should be OK.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 2 years ago

thx for the input, Jethro & Chris

since no additional info was added, I'll go with Chris's advise.

gr
Andy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
PinSound

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-leaking-capacitor-c157 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.