5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by OTCHU
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210311_095835_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I just pick up up a LAH that was non working. I stripped the playfield down and cleaned it. replaced all fuse clips. New Bridge rectifiers (all). Checked all fuses. Reflowed solder.
    Game boots fine and All looks well but still having a few issues.
    -will not eject a ball
    -when I push flippers the ball launch and the ripper solenoids fire (but activate very weakly) { <---This is the weirdest one for me }
    - the ripper does not fire during the "ripper" test
    - Also of note during diagnosis test:
    -coil fire tests no coils fire until what seems to be one cycle has run... then the backbox lights flash once then the coil test begins again... and then only some coils fire (pop bumpers, kickers near flippers, few others).
    -during lamps test. All lights display and flash during that test but the lamp "row" and "column" test... nothing happens.

Seems like a few issues here But the most confusing as the flipper ripper/Ball launch problem

2 years later
    #2 3 years ago

I'm having the same problem. My flippers dont work but instead activate the Ripper kickback. My trigger/laucher also isn't working. This was fine before transporting the machine home. Did you ever figure out the problem or solution.

Anyone recommend where to start?

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grips:

I'm having the same problem. My flippers dont work but instead activate the Ripper kickback. My trigger/laucher also isn't working. This was fine before transporting the machine home. Did you ever figure out the problem or solution.
    Anyone recommend where to start?

Reseated or checked for a broken wire on MPU board connectors CN8 and CN10? Those are the switch matrix inputs.

#4 3 years ago

Left flipper will launch ball. I posted this question in the LAH forum when I bought mine. It should not fire other coils though.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Reseated or checked for a broken wire on MPU board connectors CN8 and CN10? Those are the switch matrix inputs.

I took a quick look and all seems fine. Thank you for your suggestion. I will try to troubleshoot further tomorrow. Sucks as im new to this and the machine was working before I brought it home. I hope this doesn't scare me away from the hobby.

thanks again!

#6 3 years ago

After more digging I found out the following issues:

Magnet, laser kick "ripper", Auto launch, Right VUK, Right Scoop all fail to function. Other than the laser kick "ripper", all share the same yellow-violet wire. The ripper has a violet-yellow wire. The 5a F5 fuse was blown and when replaced it blew again. The Flippers don't function and still activate the ripper coil but at a lesser force. I can't seem to find any crossed wires. I am not sure what to do next. Kind of overwhelmed at this point.

Anyone have suggestions on what to look for next?

#7 3 years ago

Granted that the ribbon connectors are installed correctly (and the connectors themselves are good) in addition to connectors CN8 + CN10 installed correctly and in good shape, i would check *all* of the switches and their diodes on switch row 8 since the problems all seem to have a common thread there.
    Screenshot_20210311_095835_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpgScreenshot_20210311_095835_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpg

The auto-launch button, the ripper, and the right flipper button are all on that circuit. It's important you check the other switches on that row as well, because a shorted diode, wire, or some other problem with *any* of the switches on that row can create havoc elsewhere with switches on that same row.

So I'd suggest checking all those switches (numbered 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, and 64) and verify the diodes are firmly connected and have correct orientation, and also that the wiring is correct at each one and firmly connected as well. Make sure none of the solder lugs on the switch or wires or diode legs are contacting anything nearby.

Did you reflow the header pins for cn 8 and 10? If so, check for any possible bridging between pins on the solder side of the board.

8 months later
    #8 2 years ago

Any update ? I have the same problem .. flipper don't work and ripper activate when use flipper... and trigger doesn't work also

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-flippers-activate-ripper-ball-lauch?hl=drypaint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.