You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DEJP_PwrSply_C2_Damage (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Link to video:

#2 6 years ago

Replace all capacitors on the power supply board, then take a 5v test point reading with a multimeter. Should fix it.

#3 6 years ago

Yes you are right, i can replace all the caps, i was hoping for a more specific answer, maby we have a data east wizard in here, that can tell me more exact, where the problem is

#4 6 years ago

Power supply board ,replace caps C1,C2,C3,C7. These are near the big aluminum heat sink and dry out over time and it takes a minute or more for them to charge up and supply 5 volts to the CPU board and the sound board. C2 is especially prom to leakage and failure. A very common problem on Data East power supplies.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Yes you are right, i can replace all the caps, i was hoping for a more specific answer, maby we have a data east wizard in here, that can tell me more exact, where the problem is

The behavior you describe suggests the caps on the power board are failing. The filter cap at the bottom would likely not be failed. Before you replace the caps remove the power board and thoroughly inspect for cracked solder joints, and inspect the caps for signs of failure like bulging or leaking. The 5v filter caps are the most likely culprit, if one of these failed the other three could still allow the game to boot.

#6 6 years ago

Just from my experience.
My Jurassic Park never had an issue until suddenly the sound started to cut out or take minutes to start working. It started having other issues within a few days as well. I pulled the Power Supply Board and it all *looked* just fine. Removed all the caps and this is what I found...
DEJP_PwrSply_C2_Damage (resized).jpgDEJP_PwrSply_C2_Damage (resized).jpg
Unfriendly surprise to find. I ended up having Chris Hibler repair the trace damage caused by the leaky cap and replace all the caps on the board with new. I believe he had to replace both D2 and D3 due to corrosion.
Works perfect now.

Quoted from mikat11:

Power supply board ,replace caps C1,C2,C3,C7. These are near the big aluminum heat sink and dry out over time and it takes a minute or more for them to charge up and supply 5 volts to the CPU board and the sound board. C2 is especially prom to leakage and failure. A very common problem on Data East power supplies.

Exactly what happened to me. That C2 cap wasn't nice to my board at all after it leaked.

#7 6 years ago

Like I said before. C2 is prone to leakage and failure. The heat from the 5 volt regulator heat sink is hard on poor little C2 and replace C1 C3 and C7 also.

#8 6 years ago

Waouw. That C2 is a leaky bastard.
Allright, so C1,2,3,7 are known for my pins trouble.
Should i replace them with same values? Or any other suggestions?

As i read here, sound comes later becouse of these bad caps also. Not a sound board problem?

#9 6 years ago

Same uf value, higher voltage is ok for any of those 4 caps. For example C2 is 100uf 25 volt. A 100uf 35 volt will work fine. Low voltage due to bad caps is the problem here. On initial power up the voltage in the 5 volt circuit is very low, probably near 4 volts. After a couple minutes or so the bad cap will charge up to near 5 volts and the CPU will power up like it should,then the sound board shortly after. Most likely C2 is the root of the problem and the other 3 caps need replaced because they are old and its a good preventative maintenance.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from mikat11:

Same uf value, higher voltage is ok for any of those 4 caps. For example C2 is 100uf 25 volt. A 100uf 35 volt will work fine. Low voltage due to bad caps is the problem here. On initial power up the voltage in the 5 volt circuit is very low, probably near 4 volts. After a couple minutes or so the bad cap will charge up to near 5 volts and the CPU will power up like it should,then the sound board shortly after. Most likely C2 is the root of the problem and the other 3 caps need replaced because they are old and its a good preventative maintenance.

Perfect answer, thanks alot guys. Will order these caps

#11 6 years ago

I would get them at Mouser or Digikey, in Nichidon or Panasonic brand. Those are high quality brands and they will better stand up to the heat of the driver board.

#12 6 years ago

Don't forget the 330mfd cap which is below the heat sink, but on the left side. this is *really* important to replace. It leaks too, and will leak on the high voltage power section, and short the board. i've actually seen them start on fire because of this. The other caps mentioned will just stop the game from running. The 330mfd cap juice can catch the game on fire!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Don't forget the 330mfd cap which is below the heat sink, but on the left side. this is *really* important to replace. It leaks too, and will leak on the high voltage power section, and short the board. i've actually seen them start on fire because of this. The other caps mentioned will just stop the game from running. The 330mfd cap juice can catch the game on fire!

Well that sounds risky with the fire. Do you have a pic of the location? Whitch cap it is?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Well that sounds risky with the fire. Do you have a pic of the location? Whitch cap it is?

C7

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-dryed-caps-help?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.